AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I built my whole home theater Pc around the Idead I would stream from a my movies server to Media Center, I was wrong.

I was told and even read on my movies website it recognizes .ISO files. Unfortunitly everything that said that is all lies. It doesn't even recognize the disc when I mount it! I'm not using any obscure discs, just normal mainstream releases in the past few years.

So here is my new delema, I NEED to have a way to watch .ISO movies on my Home Theatre how can I do it? I would like to at least have some interface other than windows explorer. Media center integration is my primary choice but I was told My Movies was the prime choice.

I don't know why .ISO files are impossible to find a player for other than VLC when they are the number 1 choice for people archiving DVD's on their PC. If you have a recommendation of even converting the .ISO into something more accesable but without compressing or loseing quality I would appreciate it. Or even better yet, how are you playing your DVD's without having physically loading the disc in the drive?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgggd86 /forum/post/15477470

So I built my whole home theater Pc around the Idead I would stream from a my movies server to Media Center, I was wrong.

I was told and even read on my movies website it recognizes .ISO files. Unfortunitly everything that said that is all lies. It doesn't even recognize the disc when I mount it! I'm not using any obscure discs, just normal mainstream releases in the past few years.

So here is my new delema, I NEED to have a way to watch .ISO movies on my Home Theatre how can I do it? I would like to at least have some interface other than windows explorer. Media center integration is my primary choice but I was told My Movies was the prime choice.

I don't know why .ISO files are impossible to find a player for other than VLC when they are the number 1 choice for people archiving DVD's on their PC. If you have a recommendation of even converting the .ISO into something more accesable but without compressing or loseing quality I would appreciate it. Or even better yet, how are you playing your DVD's without having physically loading the disc in the drive?

Please explain your problem in details! What are you using? For example, what are you using to mount the ISO? What player are you using to play the DVD and/or BD? What is the error?

I am using MM, VCD, TMT/PDVD8 and have no problem using MM to play any ISO DVD & BD movies.

·
Registered
967 Posts

Quote:

1) Try VideoBrowser rather than MyMovies:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1094009

or 2) try MediaPortal:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092168

Both will automount and play ISO files.

I'm a little confused by your last sentence - if you're using ISO files why would you be physically loading a disc in the drive? Personally I use DVD Shrink to remove the encryption, trailers, director's commentary, menus etc and just copy the main movie to my HTPC. End result is plays great and I don't have to leave my couch...

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
First I'd say - no it isn't - and it is a bit insulting for such a good app to be dissed in this manner. The guy who writes it has put a lot of effort into it - and it is pretty popular. It has certainly revolutionised my HTPC - and I now watch far more of the DVDs I own now I can access them as ISOs within the app.

Now to answer your problem - I've got no problems with ISOs and MyMovies in Vista Media Center...

I first used Daemontools (which MyMovies uses to mount the ISOs) but now use Virtual CloneDrive (free download from Slysoft) as it is more reliable.

I've not had a single DVD ISO not mount with it and with MyMovies - and have 3TB of ISOs - at least 1TB are on network shares. They are a mix of current releases, TV box sets and classics. Not a problem with any of them...

Which ISO mounting app are you using in MyMovies to mount your ISO files? MyMovies found both Clonedrive and Daemon Tools automatically I think - but it can be done manually in the configs.

The route taken by MyMovies is that rather than installing a separate player to play the ISOs, it instead uses an app to mount the ISO as a virtual DVD (or BD/HD-DVD) and then uses a regular DVD player app (either the internal Vista Media Center DVD player or Theater Tek for DVDs, and TMT or PDVD for HD discs) What MyMovies does is automate the selection of the ISO file and the loading of it in Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive - but you still need one of these to be installed to use the ISOs. (All quite clear on the MyMovies.dk site)

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Make sure each .iso is in it's own folder within a media center or some other labeled folder.

Have daemon tools installed.

Mymovies will indeed auto mount and play the movie.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 /forum/post/15478011

Make sure each .iso is in it's own folder within a media center or some other labeled folder.

Have daemon tools installed.

Mymovies will indeed auto mount and play the movie.

When I try it, daemon tools for some reason bombs out. I don't have the message handy. So, I gave up on it. In fact, I gave up on My Movies period. The kids didn't like the interface (I don't either). Other than that, it's a pretty good app. I think I prefer Media Portal though.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp /forum/post/15478059

When I try it, daemon tools for some reason bombs out. I don't have the message handy. So, I gave up on it. In fact, I gave up on My Movies period. The kids didn't like the interface (I don't either). Other than that, it's a pretty good app. I think I prefer Media Portal though.

Wouldn't that be a daemon tools problem then?

I don't know what's not to like about the interface. Browsing by cover art is very handy.

But I also don't store my movies as iso's anymore.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:

I don't know why .ISO files are impossible to find a player for other than VLC when they are the number 1 choice for people archiving DVD's on their PC.

People aren't playing the iso file itself. They're mounting it first and then playing the virtual disc.

I disagree with the latter half of your statement. I'd say at least half of us here choose to store it as a video_ts folder. It eliminates the step of having to mount the iso, which can cause headaches depending on the front end you're using. Not to mention, just about every movie player out there supports playing a video_ts folder. Like iso, there is no loss of quality.

It's also not fair to call mymovies crap, unless you can write something better perhaps. While I personally don't like mymovies (it's sluggish) and don't use it, a lot of hard work was put into creating it.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Yep - I think the main limitation of MyMovies is the speed and the HTML rendering (which doesn't look as smooth as native rendering.)

The guy who wrote MyMovies is working on an MCML version that will be rendered natively. As he is a one-man-band this may take a while - but I'm happy to wait.

I really enjoy using it, even in its current form, and find the collection manager a neat way of ensuring the right cover art and the right details are loaded, and just being able to type the barcode of my DVD in to find the details works brilliantly. (Haven't fiddled with the webcam bar code reader stuff - typing a few digits takes very little time)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I use it with Total media theatre and never had any problems it always find the movies even xxx adult.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat /forum/post/15479284

I use it with Total media theatre and never had any problems it always find the movies even xxx adult.

LOL is there any guides to getting it to work perfect?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I still don't see the appeal to using ISO format. folder format (video_TS) is a much more reliable, and easier to use setup than ripping each movie to iso.

With folder format/video_TS no mounting program like deamon tools is needed.

Also with video_TS you can bypass My Movies all together if you wanted and just use the DVD Library that is built into Media Center.

But as others have pointed out if you are using ISO format, and want to use My Movies, first each movie needs to be in a dedicated folder with the name of the movie as the folder name, Also you need a way to mount the ISO images and in order for my movies to work properly you need a mounting program like Deamon Tools.

- Josh

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so yes My Movies is more crap the more I use it. It is great for getting Disc data and info and thats it. Nothing is stremlined, extremely sluggish even in server client.

Anyways I have My Movies working as advertised on my main computer with 2 TB of ISO's on it. I have 5 in the library I used to test. I am using virtual clone drive to mount discs and everything is located on this computer. Now the problem is networking.

With all the same on my client computer except the ISO files are not there, My Movies refuses to see the server computer. I have EVERYTHING disabled that could interfere and it refuses to see it. I can access files just fine but not through my movies. IP address doesn't work, neither does the computer name. Followed every single troubleshooting step on the my movies wiki and here.

So therefore I've realized My Movies is crap. Even if I could relocate all my data to my HTPc I would use something a lot less sluggish and much more perfected. This is on par with a first gen or even beta app but with the amount of users I'm supprised anyone puts up with this! Am I really going to spend 5 minutes per movie just to add them into my collection? Hell no! Not with over 400 DVD's and over 50 Blu-ray titles. I'd rather quit wasting my time with an app that is far from usable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, just wow.

So your problem is Networking, and yet you blame MyMovies.

I guess to really help you out, you need to let everyone know, what your setup is.

1. Are you using WindowsXP MCE or Vista?

2. Did you install the MyMoives Server software on your Server, and the client software on each of your other PC's?

3. Mounting ISO files is considerably slower than if you were using the Video_TS folder method of Movie storage (which for your info, is the perfered default for all DVD movies, while ISO is generally used for BluRay).

4. If all your PC's are Vista, be sure to turn off IPv6 on all of them (as this causes problems with sharing files over a network).

I have setup MyMovies on a Vista 64 system that I use for a Server, and setup the Clients on 3 different PC's around the house (two are Vista 64 and one is Vista 32), and besides some minor issues (mostly with the IPv6 network sharing problem), it works wonderfully.

If you can be more specific with your setup, Im sure myself and others can help you out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Something you must do, that helped me get my connection to Mymovies. You need a user name AND password on the server (your main PC) that you use on your HTPC.

Ex:

HTPC: Login - Kid Password - 1234

Server: Login - Kid Password - 1234

At first I did not have a password on my HTPC, but after I added the password, everything connected fine. You just need an account, can be minor account, that has the same login/password as your HTPC.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhouse /forum/post/15480645

wow, just wow.

So your problem is networking, and yet you blame mymovies.

I guess to really help you out, you need to let everyone know, what your setup is.

1. Are you using windowsxp mce or vista?

2. Did you install the mymoives server software on your server, and the client software on each of your other pc's?

3. Mounting iso files is considerably slower than if you were using the video_ts folder method of movie storage (which for your info, is the perfered default for all dvd movies, while iso is generally used for bluray).

4. If all your pc's are vista, be sure to turn off ipv6 on all of them (as this causes problems with sharing files over a network).

I have setup mymovies on a vista 64 system that i use for a server, and setup the clients on 3 different pc's around the house (two are vista 64 and one is vista 32), and besides some minor issues (mostly with the ipv6 network sharing problem), it works wonderfully.

If you can be more specific with your setup, im sure myself and others can help you out.

qft

·
Registered
62 Posts
This post is a joke, you just gave one of the best programs available **** and the best part is you didn't even have to pay a cent for it. Shut your noise hole

1 - 20 of 60 Posts