AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nextdoor neighbor came to my house last night all smiles and excited cause he just brought home a new Panasonic 42 HD plasma, and wanted to ask me mounting/wiring questions and advice.

He said he got a great deal from Sears...it had a sticker marked $4999 (a model with PDP3H???) and that he got it for $[MSRP Only], he said it was a floor model, and the Sears rep was a friend.

After looking at it close, it looked like an ED (same pixel grid I'm used to) and it had the familiar ED"W" in the model, but it's not the current model offerings, here' the model #...

TH-42PW4UZ

I can't find what the "Z" means, but I think the "W" is the ED notation from my own knowledge of Panasonics.

He was TOLD by Sears reps this is an HD plasma...and even further, his wife called Panasonic factory and they confirmed this model was an HD plasma.

Well, I told him I know who/where to ask, but it's whether they beleive this forum over the Panasonic factory and Sears (they already commented they don't trust the internet for purchasing a plasma)

I will print this thread before I go home (5:00 EDT), and show them the responses and advice from the most trustworthy forum I know! thanks gents.

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Your friend got ripped off--big time.

Tell him to return it immediately and buy a TH-42PD25UP, which is a current consumer ED model that can be had for about the same price and includes HDMI, CableCARD, and other nifty stuff.

· Registered
209 Posts
George,

This is really simple, don't bother printing this thread. Go to Panas website and print out the manual. I already looked it up and it states the resolution of the TV in the part that tells you how to hook-up your computer. It is definently an EDTV.

That's horrible to think someone from sears would do that, especially someone who's supposed to be a friend.

· Registered
950 Posts
I agree with larry. Take it back! This model was introduced in 2001!!!

That's a long time for a plasma floor model to be sitting around.

The least expensive 42" panny HD is around $3500 for the 7UY.

I hope he can still remain friends with this person.

Vb

· Registered
26 Posts
Ran into the same at Sears. Salesman insisted that what I was looking at was HD. What he failed to mention was that , yes, it was being fed an HD signal, but was displaying it in ED, NOT HD.

This was the same salesman who told me that I would have to have my house rewired for 220V if I bought the Hitachi!!

Dick G

· Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rayon
Check Bruzzi's Pani FAQ:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=407154

This is a very old model (4th generation?). I believe the "Z" means RCA connectors (previous consumer models). "Y" means BNC connectors.
the link was my first stop last night, it has the Service model for this set, and show on the first page the ED resolution.

You're exactly right about all RCA connectors on the back.

Aside from being a floor model, which sucks, how does the new 6UY outperform this older one.

this is a tricky subject, cause it's hard to detect, the HD images look very similar.

And to say "this is Disovery HD" or "Your watching an HD loop" is the truth, to say "this is HDTV" is true and not true.

· Registered
950 Posts
Better contrast ratio, smoother image, and DVI to name a few.

Vb

· Registered
308 Posts
Sorry for your friend P George...Good for you that we are here....go for the panny TH-42PD25U....bang for the buck, lots of features..

· Registered
950 Posts
I like the features of the 6UY more. It seems to have more picture adjustments than the TH-42PD25U.

Vb

· Registered
32,174 Posts
I always see floor models at stores priced at levels I find insane. The discount is never nearly enough to justify the beat up, used quality of the sets.

I've wondered how they ever get sold near those prices.

Now I see: Dupe the customer!

Shameful. Take it back and file a BBB complaint.

· Registered
950 Posts
I guess the corp people know they can sell them to unsuspecting folk!

I'm with Rogo: "Take it back and file a BBB complaint".

Vb

· Registered
8,948 Posts
Sears has a 90 day return policy, so just take it back!

· Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Plasma George
Aside from being a floor model, which sucks, how does the new 6UY outperform this older one.

this is a tricky subject, cause it's hard to detect, the HD images look very similar.

And to say "this is Disovery HD" or "Your watching an HD loop" is the truth, to say "this is HDTV" is true and not true.
You should probably check with BruZZi, but I believe the 6UY (6th generation) was the generation that extended phosphor life from 30,000 hrs to 60,000 hrs.

(edited) Note: phosphor life stated does not mean the death of the plasma - it's a spec-ed number that indicates - to half brightness.

· Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by semigolfer
You should probably check with BruZZi, but I believe the 6UY (6th generation) was the generation that extended phosphor life from 30,000 hrs to 60,000 hrs.
and some quick math...if that set is 2.5 years old x's 365 days x's 10 hours a day for a floor model=9125.

Does anyone know if this set has an hourmeter.?

and how do we access it.?

What's even more piss poor than the Sears pitch to my "green newbie" neighbor is the Panasonic factory call saying "YES it's an HD plasma".

WTF is that.?

PS--I thought I saw a thin light band down the left side of the plasma...thinner than the 4:3 bar though.

Thanks for all the comments, I'll print and let them read it tonight and they can decide who to believe.

Tough call though--Brick and Mortar ole reliable Sears and the Panasonic Factory vs. internet chat forum.

· Registered
950 Posts
Bottom line...

Return it!

Tell your friend, well, use what ever explitives you want. Just get the latest model for less than this 3 year old set.

Your friend needs to upgrade his firmware with regard to his knowledge of plasmas!

Vb

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.