AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got everything in and was home to hook it all up the past few days.

I had to wait a while as I had to have electricians come and install new dedicated circuits for the sub and the new amps, as well as the projector. Then I had to have drywall repair done where they had to cut as well as have the ceilings repainted in a couple spots. I also had the whole room painted a darker color at the same time and got black out shades installed on all the windows, so the only unwanted light in the room now is non-direct light from the stairwell. It gets pretty dark, even mid day, so the PJ looks good all the time.

I've got an annoying ground loop problem now that I have all these different dedicated circuits (the amps, sub, and PJ are all on their own circuits), so I am going to have to upgrade my processing sooner than I thought so I can have balanced outputs to everything, or come up with another solution.

Anyways, here are the pics (lights on obviously, so PJ looks dim):

Equipment is as follows:

Speakers -

Aerial Acoustics Model 9 Fronts

Aerial Acoustics CC5 Center

Aerial Acoustics Model 6 Rears

JL Audio Gotham G213 Subwoofer

Amps -

McIntosh MC303 for front stage

McIntosh MC252 for rears

Processing -

Denon 4308 leftover from previous setup - Waiting to upgrade

Source -

Oppo BDP-83

Projector -

JVC RS-15

Prismasonic Anamorphic Lens - Electric

Da-Lite Cinemavision 88" wide 2.35:1 Screen

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks good!

Are you waiting for the MX150?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck /forum/post/18135815

Looks good!

Are you waiting for the MX150?

I was going to wait for MX150's to start showing up used in about a year. I am generally scared to spend a lot on processing as they depreciate so quickly. Now that I have this ground loop issue going on I will probably have to buy something now instead of waiting to solve it as I need the balanced outs. I am thinking of ordering a D2V instead of waiting, but haven't fully decided yet.

I would love to go with an MX-150, but time (I think they aren't caught up filling orders yet and I need something soon to solve the ground loop issue) and money (all this other stuff wasn't cheap) may be conspiring against me...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Very clean setup. I love your speakers. I haven't ever had a chance to listen to them but I imagine they sound pretty darn good, especially with those Mac amps.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Ebanks,

Excellent system, I really like it!!

I totally agree with you about going all balanced. No matter what others say, the balanced connections help get rid of a lot of ground loops. If you like your system the way it sounds, it might be worth further investigation and troubleshooting to fix that pesky problem. I battled long and hard with a ground loop, but at the end I came up on top. An all balanced crossover did it for me...

Congrats, and enjoy your system!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 /forum/post/18135363

nice setup there. i hope you don't have any 4:3 dvd's in your movie storage. that would look weird on 2.35:1 screen.

I actually don't own a single 4:3 film, so I am good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/18136041

Very clean setup. I love your speakers. I haven't ever had a chance to listen to them but I imagine they sound pretty darn good, especially with those Mac amps.

Thanks! So far so good. I am still messing with a few settings and tweaking it a bit, but I think this should keep me happy for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr /forum/post/18137468

Ebanks,

Excellent system, I really like it!!

I totally agree with you about going all balanced. No matter what others say, the balanced connections help get rid of a lot of ground loops. If you like your system the way it sounds, it might be worth further investigation and troubleshooting to fix that pesky problem. I battled long and hard with a ground loop, but at the end I came up on top. An all balanced crossover did it for me...

Congrats, and enjoy your system!!

Yeah, hopefully that will fix it. I may see if my local dealer has a demo piece they could loan me to make sure the balanced outs solve my problem before dropping the cash on it. Everything is perfectly quiet with my receiver turned off and everything else on, so I am sure it's coming from the unbalanced outs.

·
Registered
License to Chill
22,231 Posts
Very nice and elegant setup, Ebanks.

I'm digging the Mac amps. I do agree with ddgtr and think you should go all balanced. Your Macs will thank you.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hello Ebanks.

Your system is outstanding. Understated Elegance is the best way to describe your ensemble. An excellent selection of components. And as you see, the McIntosh brethen come out of the woodwork when someone embeds a photo of a system with Mc products showcased!

It's ashame that you are experiencing the ground loop issues with the Denon VR4308. It's a excellent AVR, and a very capable Prepro.

I also love the Aerial Acoustics Speaker package with the Gotham G213! That thing is a beast! how did you come across the Aerials and what stood out about them that separated them from the others you auditioned?

BTW, welcome to WYSC Thread. And thank you for sharing your beautiful room and system with us.

Regards

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman /forum/post/18140152

Very nice and elegant setup, Ebanks.

I'm digging the Mac amps. I do agree with ddgtr and think you should go all balanced. Your Macs will thank you.

I think I am going to have to sooner than later. I may order the "inexpensive" integra piece to tide me over until the MX150's come down in price on the used market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 /forum/post/18141299

Hello Ebanks.

Your system is outstanding. Understated Elegance is the best way to describe your ensemble. An excellent selection of components. And as you see, the McIntosh brethen come out of the woodwork when someone embeds a photo of a system with Mc products showcased!

It's ashame that you are experiencing the ground loop issues with the Denon VR4308. It's a excellent AVR, and a very capable Prepro.

I also love the Aerial Acoustics Speaker package with the Gotham G213! That thing is a beast! how did you come across the Aerials and what stood out about them that separated them from the others you auditioned?

BTW, welcome to WYSC Thread. And thank you for sharing your beautiful room and system with us.

Regards

Thanks for the positive feedback!

To be quite honest I didn't have a chance to audition many speakers, especially not in any decent setting. The last year or so in our marketplace has seen a number of dealer going out of business, changing hands, different lines picked up/dropped, etc. It's been very tough to find anything other than you standard Paradigm and B&W stuff to audition. We don't even have an authorized Aerial dealer in my market, let alone a stocking one with these speakers on display to listen to!

So far I have definitely not been disappointed.

I bought these based almost entirely on word of mouth from a few friends whom I know have very similar listening tastes to mine and have used/liked similar equipment to what I have had in the past and enjoyed.

The 4308 has worked wonderfully in the past for me as a receiver, but this is the first time I have used it without using it's internal amplification. This is also the first time I have had the sub (or anything else for that matter) on separate circuits from it.

The Mac amps have been a dream of mine since I was about 14 years old (28 now) so I feel very fortunate to finally have them in my system. I have a feeling they will be there for some time to come.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a couple pictures so you can see the PJ and rear speakers. Sorry there are a couple cups sitting on the table... I have been sitting in this room quite a bit the past few nights using it!

I really need new seating as well. I have had those couches since I was 21 and they have seen better days. Unfortunately we all (well, most of us
) have to prioritize and I have other things ahead of that on the list.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

The HT looks sweet. I'm perticularly jealous of the mc303 (I went with the much fluffier mc205 and a older mc300 combination).

As for ground loops issues, have you considered some power cords that are known for thier ability to reduce the 60hz hum? I've just decided to enter world of snake oil and magic elixer's, and ordered a full set of Cardas Golden Reference cables. 3 power cords, 1 Balanced set of interconnects and 1 set of 8' biwire speaker cables.

I ordered 3 power cables (which incedently are fairly cheap on Audiogon these days). 1 for each actual wall socket contact. Sub, mc300, and the power conditioner everything else plugs into.

Unfortunately, I can't tell how well the power cables work yet, as I'm stubbornly waiting for my mx150 to arrive before i throw all the new toys into the mix.

If your interested in reading more... (and no I don't work for Cardas
)

http://www.stereophile.com/artdudley...306listening/#

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Ah tower surrounds, I love it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebanks /forum/post/18133650

Finally got everything in and was home to hook it all up the past few days.

I had to wait a while as I had to have electricians come and install new dedicated circuits for the sub and the new amps, as well as the projector. Then I had to have drywall repair done where they had to cut as well as have the ceilings repainted in a couple spots. I also had the whole room painted a darker color at the same time and got black out shades installed on all the windows, so the only unwanted light in the room now is non-direct light from the stairwell. It gets pretty dark, even mid day, so the PJ looks good all the time.

I've got an annoying ground loop problem now that I have all these different dedicated circuits (the amps, sub, and PJ are all on their own circuits), so I am going to have to upgrade my processing sooner than I thought so I can have balanced outputs to everything, or come up with another solution.

Anyways, here are the pics (lights on obviously, so PJ looks dim):

Equipment is as follows:

Speakers -

Aerial Acoustics Model 9 Fronts

Aerial Acoustics CC5 Center

Aerial Acoustics Model 6 Rears

JL Audio Gotham G213 Subwoofer

Amps -

McIntosh MC303 for front stage

McIntosh MC252 for rears

Processing -

Denon 4308 leftover from previous setup - Waiting to upgrade

Source -

Oppo BDP-83

Projector -

JVC RS-15

Prismasonic Anamorphic Lens - Electric

Da-Lite Cinemavision 88" wide 2.35:1 Screen

nice and clean

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvjerky /forum/post/18142820

Hi,

The HT looks sweet. I'm perticularly jealous of the mc303 (I went with the much fluffier mc205 and a older mc300 combination).

As for ground loops issues, have you considered some power cords that are known for thier ability to reduce the 60hz hum? I've just decided to enter world of snake oil and magic elixer's, and ordered a full set of Cardas Golden Reference cables. 3 power cords, 1 Balanced set of interconnects and 1 set of 8' biwire speaker cables.

I ordered 3 power cables (which incedently are fairly cheap on Audiogon these days). 1 for each actual wall socket contact. Sub, mc300, and the power conditioner everything else plugs into.

Unfortunately, I can't tell how well the power cables work yet, as I'm stubbornly waiting for my mx150 to arrive before i throw all the new toys into the mix.

If your interested in reading more... (and no I don't work for Cardas
)

http://www.stereophile.com/artdudley...306listening/#

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't bought into the power cords. I am considering a Furman 20 amp line conditioner to see if that solves the hum before buying a new processor, as if it doesn't I can just return it. I am also considering switching the circuits over to a different phase in my panel to see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/18143980

Ah tower surrounds, I love it.

Yep... I am scared to have small children to the house now as the front of the rear towers balance on a single point in the center, but it sure sounds good to have full range in the back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That /forum/post/18144050

Big fan of your setup. Well done!!

Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx /forum/post/18145342

nice and clean

That's what I was going for. Simple, clean, functional.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Updated the wet bar in the back of the theater area.

This is in the back of my downstairs living/theater room. We added granite counters in the back bar and mid bar, as well as a sil granite sink. We also had a custom antique barn wood upper bar top made for where you sit. We added an under counter kitchen aide refrigerated and freezer drawer with ice maker. We had cabinet doors made to match our other cabinets for the facing of this. They came out a bit dark so they are making us new ones to match a bit better. We also added a remotely located keg cooler in the storage room behind the plasma and ran the line to the tap on the back bar you can see in the pictures.

Lastly (not in the pics) we matched the counter top in our downstairs bath to the granite in the bar, so it is granite now as well instead of cultured marble.

First the old pictures:

Updated pics. Sorry there is a light out and I don't have that type of bulb at home right now!

Here are a couple pics of the kitchen aide drawers so they make sense.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Megadeth /forum/post/18355939

Great setup! Where does that door lead where the front right speaker is in front of?

It's a spare bedroom. The speaker when looking dead on at the door doesn't block it much at all really, but that angle makes it look like it does. The back of the speaker sits about 30" in front of the door and from left to right only comes about 10-12" into the width of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.