AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In October I decided to upgrade my Samsung HTIB from 2008 to something more substantial with more clarity and to simplify the HDMI inputs to my TV.

I went in with the following limitations:
-My open concept house is really limiting my potential sound quality, open to kitchen, foyer, and upstairs.
-The wife would not allow me to have surround speakers on stands and wall mounting them was out of the question. So I decided that 3.1 system was the best route for me.

My Dad has a Yamaha 675 AVR and really likes it so I decided to stay in the Yamaha arena so all I had to focus on was the speakers. I wanted to get all 3.1 speakers for less than $600 which means by no means was I getting audiophile quality which is fine.

Countless hours I spent on AVS and various other forums reading others reviews of speakers, setups etc. Came to a conclusion that Polk or Klipsch was the best especially with my budget in mind. Then I had to decide between floorstanding or bookshelf and due to the size of my room I went with floorstanding.

I found really good deals and went with the following
LR pair, Klipsch F-20 ($200 pair). I listened to the reference series at BB and really liked their sound.
Center, Klipsch C-20 ($169)
Sub, BIC America F-12 ($185) Best Sub reviewed for my budget
AVR, Yamaha 775WA ($489) @ Costco. I splurged on this purchase because of how critical it is but it way more AVR than I needed.

I got everything wired and setup last night and now will spend the day Saturday tuning and configuring. One setback I had was the wife made me place the floorstandings horizontally in our large built in bookshelf which is disappointing but not the end of the world. I have them about 30 inches off the floor just below the TV.

So let me know what you think and I'll report back after its all configured.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I was with you all the way until...

place the floorstandings horizontally in our large built in bookshelf

Placing floorstanders on the side will not produce optimal sound since they are designed to be upright. Other, more knowledgeable posters, can detail the technical reasons that this not the best way. If the results of your setup and tweaking are not satisfactory, you may want to consider returning the floorstanders, and getting bookshelf speakers.

Edit: Some threads on horizontal floorstanders
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/947592-using-floor-speakers-their-side.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1059976-can-i-place-front-speaker-horizontally.html

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
At least the F-20 are not rear-ported...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I do understand that its not optimal for my speakers to be horizontal. I am going to continue to be on the look out for bookshelves at a good price and see if they make much of a difference. It would be interesting test.

I think my advantage is I am 17 feet away from the speakers so the tweeters are virtually at ear level.

Configuration update I used YPAO and it set my fronts as Large and set my sub to -10db and it just didnt sound right. So I set the fronts as small and reset the sub and also turned on the extra bass setting because the sub wasnt even being used without it. Its getting better but still need to tweak.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Good job thinking about what you needed. A lot of people would agonize about not being able to have surrounds or an otherwise theoretically ideal setup, and end up with nothing instead of going forward and having a system to enjoy.

And good move adjusting the automatic settings because you didn't think they'd sound right. Though after 3-6 months, you may want to try it again and adjust as needed - your ears will be better adjusted to the new speakers.

As you prove, people here get wrapped up in theoretical discussions of things they have read, with little sense of what it really means in practice. I wonder how many people repeating things they've read about have actually every listened to that setup? While I agree that putting the speakers sideways sounds like an unnatural act at first, if you think about what actually changes - it's a relatively modest impact in the real world. Especially if the speakers (particularly the tweeters) are aimed at where you listen from. So ...

System or no system? Huge impact.
Happy wife or unhappy wife? Huge impact.
Horizontal vs vertical dispersion profile, and problems with pans, when the speakers are aimed at the listening position? Modest impact.

See the thread linked by Gandu, it actually has the pros and cons with comments from people who have tried it: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1059976-can-i-place-front-speaker-horizontally.html

Getting the right placement and positioning is very important. But the compromises you made, make sense given your constraints. Though for a system with a larger budget, I'd look for a better solution.

Most people in this budget range could probably spend less on the receiver, though, as you note.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Home theater is about entertainment, not following some set of rules, many of which are wrong or trivial. If the system looks good and sounds good then it should be plenty entertaining. Enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts