AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love it. Bought it from Sears, they price matched Circuit City + 10%. They did have the most expensive service. 5 years for 449, but it includes a yearly serviceman cleaning and calibration. Circuit City was 4 years at 249. I told the salesman great, I'll call him right away to get it set right and he said "huh? it's brand new you can wait a year or so" and I said "but it's coming with factory specs so there's lots of room for improvement" and then he just gave me some stupid look, so I dropped it. It would be wise to call for this, though, eh?

It's cool how the tv displays the signal type onscreen: 480p or 720p or whatever.

I like how the 2 component inputs accept all 4 types: 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Since I have 5 component devices - xbox, ps2, gamecube, dvd, and hd receiver - 4 are switched through a 24.99 radio shack composite a/v switchbox. There's a "virtual HD" button on the remote, which appears to toggle 720p into either 540p or 1080i.

I like the display screen's quality - as in when it's powered off, and I look at it as if it's a dark mirror, it's not distorted except a bit in the corners. The cheaper best buy TV's have a ripply plastic circus appearance to their reflections. This one is beautiful and looks like a black glass. But while watching it, if I look at the left or right side right in the middle, there is the fingerprint/contour line appearance, but that's probably just because I like sitting too close.

-----

Also bought a progressive Sony DVD player - NS715P. I'm not sure I'm too pleased with it's PQ though. It seams to smooth out a bit of the detail, almost like the mpeg4 decoding isn't as awesome as it should be. Blocky decoding is visible at times. I'm comparing it against my previous DVD viewing experiences with a PC and windvd on a 36" RCA with SVGA input at 800x600.

Am I being overly picky about DVD's inherent resolution and it's artifacts when blowing to such large proportions? Or is the sony lacking quality?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi, I also went to CC and sears and they said they would price much + 10% off the difference. Except i want the 51swx20b. Did u get the sears warranty?

Or can i get a cheaper warranty somewhere else?

Also....do you have any regrets about the TV?

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
Quote:
Am I being overly picky about DVD's inherent resolution and it's artifacts when blowing to such large proportions? Or is the sony lacking quality?
The Sony is lacking quality.

Head over the Best Buy or another retailer and pickup the Panasonic RP82. The hype is real. This DVD player is excellent and very reasonably priced. If you buy it at a place like Best Buy or Circuit City, you can take it back without problems, but I have a feeling the Sony will be the one heading back. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This TV is great, no regrets. I've loosely shopped around for a couple years, and finally bought this one after finding a model that had the features and PQ I desired. I play a lot of video games and all the local stations are HD (except fox), so there's a lot of enjoyment potential on this TV for me.

Thanks for the Panasonic DVD player tip - I'll give it a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.