AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all I am new here. Though off and on I kept reading through the forums over the past year or so. I bought a new home about 6 months ago. Though it was already built when we bought it as the previous buyer could not get financing.

So I am dealing with a room that is 11 foot in width and 22 feet long and ceiling is 10' except near the only windows in the room which I put my 135" screen over the top of.

To date I am waiting for my installer to route all the wiring for all the speakers as I want a clean look.

Parts I am using are as follows.

Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver

2 X Klipsch RF-52 II Floor standing speaker for the front left and right channel

1 X Klipsch RC-52 II Center Speaker

4 X Klipsch RS-52 II Surround Speakers for mid point surround and rear surround

I have decided to go with real theater type seating which i found at a great price for a row of 3. My question is what is the best way to mount these seats. Past experience with bolting in to concrete floor eventually leads to the bolts pulling out of the floor. The other thing I was thinking I could do is buy a steel plate that is 30inches x 80 inches x .5 inches and bolt in to the steel plate or weld studs to the plate where the seats would mount at. Any other ideas or suggestions?

I'll post pictures once the wiring of the speakers is done probably a week or two. The room is a symmetrical rectangle with windows behind the screen and french doors to enter the room so in my mind it seemed like the perfect room to put a dedicated theater in there. Was a wrong?

Thanks in advance.

JD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

No its a 1 story house in Texas they build on slabs. I guess I did not make that clear.

As for the seating I am going with all 3 seats together in 1 row. so I should have appx 24" on both sides give or take 2".

It is totally dedicated to just being a movie room.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I am no artist so sorry for the crude design.

This is what the room looks like the couch with the exception of 3 windows on the opposite wall from the doors. I covered the windows up with the 135' Diagonal screen.

I will have the Mid surrounds moved back behind the seated position and also the rear surround moved about door height one on each side.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I expect he is using stadium style seating where the seats need to be anchored.

Is your seating centered in the room as drawn?

The seating could be lagged with shields, or threaded rod glued in the floor with high strength

anchoring epoxy. Sleeve anchoring bolts are another option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

These seats will probably be back 13'-14' not center of the room. If I recall that was the recommended distance for viewing the 135" screen.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I could be wrong, but from all I've read having a room whose sides are a multiple of the width is an open invitation for standing waves in the corners. You may need to treat the corners with Bass traps to eliminate the possibility.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That is the  thing, I do not want to bolt to the floor, so my alternative is a steel plate 30" x 80" x .5" thick. The plate should have enough weight on it to keep from tipping over backwards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442  /t/1522756/my-new-home-and-trying-to-set-up-a-dedicated-theater-room#post_24495100

Or lop 6 feet off the back of the room to make a sound proof equipment/media/projector room lobby entrance. Leaving a space 16' long X 11' wide X 10' high.

Ya! Now we're talking crazy.
Actually I have considered doing just that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok so I have been trying to get some one to do some speaker wiring I have called 3 places in this past month and all have proven to be unreliable contact faded to nothing no reply no call no shows. I have researched the recommended list and reviewed yelp reviews and seem to have exausted anyone that seemed to be the best at what they do.

I dont know if it is ok or not but I am asking does anyone know some one reliable and does very good work in the Houston/Sugarland Texas Area? If its not ok to ask here so sorry just ignore it. other wise email me at rarshaiz at the yahoo please.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts