AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my gear for my latest HTPC build. I orginally scrapped my old HTPC because it clearly lacked in PQ when compared to a player with the Realta chip in it. I have a Samsung bdp-1200 Blu-ray player now and love it, however I still watch a lot of dvd and hate changing discs! The old system had a Phenom 9600 processor, 8gig of ram, and a 8600gts video card.


New system specs:


1.Tyan S2912 dual Opteron motherboard.


2. Dual Opteron Dual core 2220 2.8ghz processors.


3. 8gigs of pc2-5300 ram


That's what I have thus far... I still need video card and sound card. Nvidia or ATI?


Would the video card matter as much with this much processing speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/17006833


What in gods name do you need that much juice for?

Thats what I was thinking. It seems to me that you want basically the minimal level of hardware that does everything HTPC related. It would be like building a dvd player with a core7 processor, whats the point. I only see more money being spent to reduce size, noise, and power use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always wanted to try a dual processor setup and I figured why not. Also I was thinking there is no such thing as too much power. Now I just have to figure out how to keep th noise level down!


Another question what OS? Windows 7 or Vista or XP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateherts /forum/post/17008536


I always wanted to try a dual processor setup and I figured why not. Also I was thinking there is no such thing as too much power.

Heat and noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Yes, there is such a thing as too much power... and rdunnil hit it on the head. The beefier you make your system the more noise and heat are produced. And trust me, you WILL notice the extra noise.


But to be completely honest, you won't use 1/1000th of the power you're putting in there. It would be very stupid to build that for HTPC use.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateherts /forum/post/17006594


New system specs:


1.Tyan S2912 dual Opteron motherboard.


2. Dual Opteron Dual core 2220 2.8ghz processors.


3. 8gigs of pc2-5300 ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateherts /forum/post/17011007


I am going to use it now Video editing as well. Yeah the heat and noise will be tough, but if I can it say to around 35db or lower I'll be pretty happy.

Your system is already outdated (K8, 90nm, HT 1000MHz, higher TDP x2). Perhaps you built the system with used components? Phenom II X4 955/965 or Core i7 920 is much better (more powerful, consumes much less power).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,132 Posts
Acutally a Phenom II X4 / Core i7 system works very well as a HTPC (with a good graphics card of course). These processors don't consume much power at idle/video playback.


Here are actual measurements (using Kill-A-Watt) of the power consumption of a system consisting
  • Phenom II (with the stock cooler)
  • GA-MA785GM-US2H
  • DDR2-800 2 x 2GB
  • Onboard video
  • WD Caviar Blue 640GB
  • Enermax MODU82+
  • NSK2480 with 2 x 120mm fan

Cool'n'Quiet is on.
CPUIdleMKV (HA on)Prime95
Phenom II X2 3.1GHz64W74W142W
Phenom II X4 3.1GHz65W75W192W
As you see there is almost no difference in power consumption between dual-core and quad-core at idle and video playback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/17011120


Your system is already outdated (K8, 90nm, HT 1000MHz, higher TDP x2). Perhaps you built the system with used components? Phenom II X4 955/965 or Core i7 920 is much better (more powerful, consumes much less power).

I didn't know there was a date on building an HTPC? Case and point if I was to be using it for dvd only I wouldn't need all the latest and greatest. Also just because it's new doesn't mean it will work better for everyone. Again I'm doing this to try out a dual processor setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateherts /forum/post/17015534


Again I'm doing this to try out a dual processor setup.

I'm going to try out a dual processor setup too. Mine will be a Zotac ION Atom330. Very low power consumption and horsepower but I think it will do everything I need in an HTPC through the nVidia 9400 chipset including Blu-ray playback and full-screen Flash with Boxee. We have two different approaches to trying out dual processors!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq /forum/post/17017271


I'm going to try out a dual processor setup too. Mine will be a Zotac ION Atom330. Very low power consumption and horsepower but I think it will do everything I need in an HTPC through the nVidia 9400 chipset including Blu-ray playback and full-screen Flash with Boxee. We have two different approaches to trying out dual processors!

I heard that it cant do full screen flash, such as HULU.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateherts /forum/post/17015534


I didn't know there was a date on building an HTPC? Case and point if I was to be using it for dvd only I wouldn't need all the latest and greatest. Also just because it's new doesn't mean it will work better for everyone. Again I'm doing this to try out a dual processor setup.

"Outdated" = obsolete. For my part nothing is wrong with your building such a system. It's your time and money. I just gave a general comment.



As for DVD playback, get a good graphics card (e.g. Radeon HD 4670) and leave video processing to GPU. Processor does not matter at all in this case. Even if you use a software solution (ffdshow), a single dual-core processor is enough.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq /forum/post/17017271


I'm going to try out a dual processor setup too. Mine will be a Zotac ION Atom330. Very low power consumption and horsepower but I think it will do everything I need in an HTPC through the nVidia 9400 chipset including Blu-ray playback and full-screen Flash with Boxee. We have two different approaches to trying out dual processors!

Is there a dual-processor (i.e. having two CPU sockets) ION mb?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top