AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up another JVC 30K deck and the date stamp on the box is 12/08/02. The serial number is 15713695. I've done a search on this forum and others, but I can't find the posting that list the good serial numbers. Since the date code is almost 9 months old, I will assume it's not one of the 'fixed' units. So my question is, what should I do? Should I contact JVC and send it in for the upgrade right away, or wait until it starts to give me problems? Are there any Canadian 30K users who have had to send their unit in? Where does it have to go?

Thanks,

Marc.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would not be concerened. Depending on the unit and how you use it, you might not need the "fix." Not all the "older" units are "bad."

Do you see a small blue "dot" stuck on the outside of the box next to the model/serial number??

·
Registered
13,761 Posts
Wrong. He will need the fix. They all fail eventually. JVC admitted that to me. GET THE FIX! Call 1-973-317-5000 x5592 and ask for Marek Wolyniec. He will take care of you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I suppose the relevance of this statement depends upon how "eventually" is defined. Everything will fail "eventually." I have an unmodified JVC 30K that I bought a little over a year ago. I probably have around 400 hours or so of recording and D-Theater viewing on the unit. It has performed very well, with no dropouts that cannot be attributed to the media itself. I have followed JVC's suggestions about having the RF input properly terminated and enabling 3DNR for DVHS viewing. I would be hesitant to send a perfectly functioning unit back to JVC, as I have read of several instances on this forum in which such units were returned with more problems than when they were submitted.

While it is true that there are many JVC 30K units in the field that require this update to function properly, it could also be true that there are many units that do not require the modification. I personally know of at least one (mine). Again, this is only my experience and is valid as of today. Perhaps if we could get a detailed explanation from JVC of precisely what issues this modification addresses, it may be possible to determine why certain units require it and certain units do not (process corners, etc.).

Brian

·
Registered
13,761 Posts
Kipp, I don't mean that they all have failed. I mean they all will fail eventually. And if not all, most of them will. The JVC guys I talked to recommend the upgrade since they think the un-"fixed" decks will eventually fail.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uzun, that's good news about the serial number. The outer sicker on the box has a V-039A with a little "4" sicker stuck next to it, if that means anything. The dealer I bought this from has had these units in stock as of last December. Did they make changes to the units that early in the game?

Thanks for all of the info. You guys are a great help!

Marc.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
My 30K has not failed nor has it ever shown even an inkling of a problem after a few hundred hours I would estimate. I was also an early adopter picking my unit up mid-2002. I also know of many others wherein this is the case.

I would never send mine in for an update unless I saw a problem cropping up and if the truth be told -- JVC has no business making a bold statement like "all will eventually fail". They don't know that just like they didn't have a clue what was wrong in the first place. I'm glad they eventually solved th eproblem with the bad units like Matt's and others I know since those people really got the run around for a long time and they also paid a strong buck at the time of their purchase which exacerbated the frustration level.

The good news is that these things have become so cheap now that it really doesn't matter what JVC does because if you can't get satisfaction from them on the repair side, you can always buy another unit that supposedly is newer and assembled differently.

My opinion is that there was an unspecified percentage of unlucky people who had lemons. There is also an unspecified number of people who have never had aproblem after 1000+ hours of heavy duty recording and playback. My bet is that if you've been using your unit since 2002 with no problem, you've entered the safe zone.

·
Registered
13,761 Posts
Good luck! God be with you! :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
I also have about 3500 hours of recording and playback logged (including D-Theater), and it has proven itself (with very reliable results). It has not received any firmware or hardware updates, and I have only cleaned the heads twice (with a JVC cleaning tape).

My 169time system provides "glitch free" HD recording via my BUD, and the Sammy 165 works great with it also (OTA). I would not send it in unless I had a "hard" failure. I love my 30k!

Ray :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.