AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got this delivered by UPS today
Just loaded some movies onto it - it's very very cool. I've tested and owned a bunch of pico projectors already, I think this is the best of the bunch... downside is it's crazy expensive, about double the price any any of the others...

Details:

*Aaxa laser pico projector, SVGA resolution, 20 lumens, 1.5 hour battery back, onboard video player, etc.

What I really like about it:

*Really small, the size of the Optoma PK101 but has all the bells and whistles

*Colors look really good, very vivid colors - better than anything else I've tried

*Brightness is decent, dim the lights you actually have a portable movie player

*Onboard video player works well (No speaker problems, no crashing files, no loud fan)

*FOCUSLESS!

What's not that great:

*Super expensive ($600)

*The menu / GUI is hard to use

*The case design looks stupid like my 1995 Nokia...

*Spackle is annoying

Full specs are here:
http://www.aaxatech.com/products/l1_..._projector.htm

My own pictures are here (note you blog owners please stop stealing my pictures or at least give me some credit - you know who you are...)

Bottom line:

It's probably a stupid way to spend $600 but it's really cool - a lot better for movies than any of the previous pico projectors I've owned because it's way smaller with a better video player. I think I'm going to have an interesting weekend

·
Registered
610 Posts
Neat.
In a dark room how wide a picture can you project with acceptable brightness? And is the speckle reduced at larger screen sizes? Love to see some screenshots of popular movies if you have a chance.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You get what you paid for - especially when you're on the bleeding edge of technology. The L1 is the best pico out there and consequently it's the most expensive. I like what AAXA is doing and what I'm really looking forward to is the L2, whenever it comes out. No, I don't have any inside info, it's just a guess. The P2 seemed to be a quantum leap over other LED based pico projectors, especailly regarding brightness. I hope the L2 makes another leap as well.

The focusless laser is certainly its biggest triumph, but overall this really looks like a great projector. Of course it would truely be great if they could sell it for $199, or even better, build it into an iphone. But I'll probably have to wait a few years for that.

Jim

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk /forum/post/18231215

Is this based on the Microvision WX? Or its PicoP engine, or a different design?

Not based on or associated with Microvision in any way. Microvision's projector uses lasers reflecting off a scanning mirror and paints the image, pixel by pixel (similar to CRT).

The Aaxa L1 uses a laser-based sequential color system and PCOS chip (lcos variation). Think DLP but LCOS + laser.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus /forum/post/18231376

Not based on or associated with Microvision in any way. Microvision's projector uses lasers reflecting off a scanning mirror and paints the image, pixel by pixel (similar to CRT).

The Aaxa L1 uses a laser-based sequential color system and PCOS chip (lcos variation). Think DLP but LCOS + laser.

Syndiant or other vendor or has AAXA developed its own mems+laser engine?

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk /forum/post/18231802

Syndiant or other vendor or has AAXA developed its own mems+laser engine?

There is no mems in the AAXA as far as I know. It uses a type of LCOS.

Syndiant supplies the SVGA display used in SSTDC's (Shanghai Sanxin Technology Development Co.) Laseno laser pico projector.

AAXA is just a distributor of the Laseno projector.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibos /forum/post/18233013

It being focusless, I also assume there is no Zoom. What size screen can you project from say 2 or 3 feet.

I'm also interested in this info. V8boosted, can you give us some feedback on the throw distance? What size image do you get at 1 foot steps between 1 and 5 feet for example. It's difficult to find this information about this pj.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've played with Pico projectors before, I don't find them very practical at all really... especially for business presentations even... they are not bright at all, they are not as clear as they claim to be. Plus for $600 dollars you might as well get a real projector, which will give you a lot of a better picture.

For $700 dollars you can get a real business projector (for example the BenQ MP626) with 2,700 lumens, 3,000:1 contrast ratio, and the capabilities of projecting a screen way larger than a pico can. Bottom line is, if you want to do a real business presentation, use a real business projector. Pico projectors are a lot more portable, are a lot smaller, but it comes at a cost of relatively same price yet a lot lower in picture quality/brightness. For the same price as the Pico for $600 (MP515), you can buy a lower end business/educational projector with 2,500 lumens and 2,600:1 contrast ratio, depending on your own budget.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Showwx also uses 16X9, wich is more suitable for movies.

But I must agree with v8boosted, this IS a cool technology. Is it not also the first RGB-laser tech..?

This is promising. I will by one just for fun.

I almost forgot to ask, is it silent, or has it fans?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's a good demo using Microvision's ShowWX as an 80 inch home theater. Search on Youtube for "microvision theater" and you should be able to find it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts