AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just got done setting up my NEC XG-135 and Leeza. I run the Leeza at 720P @ 72 hz. Awsome Awsome Awsome. (I do not scale HD)

Bought the NEC with 3 new tubes from Hammer Head on ebay. Awsome condition and the tubes where expertly replaced.

If I had one complant it would be that I am unsatisfied with the color correction on the green and red tube. Anyone have any Ideas?

Could I buy some Runco 991 Ultra lens as replacements?

Let me know!

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Before you change the lens, have the unit color balanced by a ISFer. That would more than likely fix your color issues. Also, try running the unit at 720P at 48Hz, the image looks a LOT better.

·
Registered
767 Posts
What do you base the color problem on? The projected image from a particular source, a test pattern?

I have the same projector and the colors are, to use an audio term, FLAT. That is they seem to be dead on. I am amazed by the image.

Have you looked at the grey scale through the entire brightness and contrast range?

Because of this "flatness" it is also easy to see just how much variance there is in the source material.

From what I've experienced and read on this forum, that projector's reputation for image quality is not over stated.

Enjoy that puppy you got a good rig. By the way, I've heard that there is a recommended break-in procedure for new tubes... at least I think.

Marc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The white balance is great, along with gray scale tracking.

My problem is a MITS and heck even a Sony big screen has better color than my projector.

The red is to orange, its color corrected but not enough.

Same with the green tube, it is color corrected, but not nearly good as a Mits big screen.

Other than the color on the unit being weak I love it! Razor sharp corner to corner, great light output with contrast control set to 15 on my 68" wide screen. I tuely love it, and for $3500 I think it was a steal.

So if I can improve color rendering with some new inserts or lens assembly I would be truely happy. Any help greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is odd. NEC's have the reputation among the guru's on the forum (Guy Kuo, Doug Baisey, Curt Palme, et all) as being the standard for accurate color rendition. Where did Hammerhead source their tubes??

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
If any thing this unit is known for its excellent color reproduction.

I would say there is something else you need to look for in your set up.

What screen and what is your source?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mits. big screens are infamous for red push (as are most rptv's). I have a Mits. 46805 and it was way off until it was corrected. So unless your set has been corrected, you don't want to base your comparison on that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey Ryan,

Where in NW Indiana are you? I'm in Highland and have an XG that Terry Ferentinos (Chuchuf on the forum) setup for me. Also, Mike Cazz is in NW Indiana and just got an XG. Maybe the 3 of us could have a small gathering. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ryan,

I posted on your other thread on the colors of the NEC. Let me say that measured with a spectroradiometer, the NEC XGLC and nonLC projectors with their color corrected lens and CElements come closer to the CIE xy coordinates fir red than any other FP CRT I have measured. They are almost right on he spot they are supposed to be with the LC doing a slightly better job.

Hi Casey!!!

Terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.