AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new refurb'ed 876 from Accessories4Us, and I can't get it to turn on. The standby red light is on, but when I push the power button it just turns the red light off for a second or two and then goes back into standbye mode. I have yet to see anything displayed on the front display. Any thoughts? I've gone through the trouble shooting of removing all connections, unplugging it and letting it sit for an hour, then trying to power it up. No luck.

So sad - it is so sweet looking! :-(

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
also, you may have a copper strand shorting out a speaker connnection, keeping the unit in protection mode. Check each connection very closely with a good bright flashlight and make sure there are no stray "hairs" of copper loose at the 5 way binders and at the back of each speaker.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstedman /forum/post/17030400

I just got my new refurb'ed 876 from Accessories4Us, and I can't get it to turn on. The standby red light is on, but when I push the power button it just turns the red light off for a second or two and then goes back into standbye mode. I have yet to see anything displayed on the front display. Any thoughts? I've gone through the trouble shooting of removing all connections, unplugging it and letting it sit for an hour, then trying to power it up. No luck.

So sad - it is so sweet looking! :-(

It does this with nothing at all connected to it? If so I'd send it back now, today. They have a very good return policy and its not worth the hassle of knowing when this thing will work or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried powering it up with the remote to no avail, and I just checked each of the binding posts with a bright light - no sign of any strands. I'm waiting to hear back from Onkyo, but I guess it's probably going back. :-(

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstedman /forum/post/17032224

I tried powering it up with the remote to no avail, and I just checked each of the binding posts with a bright light - no sign of any strands. I'm waiting to hear back from Onkyo, but I guess it's probably going back. :-(

Disconnect all speakers and then try again with absolutely nothing connected. A speaker problem from any of them can also cause these to go into protect. If it then works look at the back of each of your speakers and make sure there are no strands touching on those. Either end of the speaker connections touching each other will throw your receiver into self protect. Good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah - I have absolutely nothing connected, and have given it 10 hours before trying to plug in the power cord and power it on, and still nothing. Onkyo said to send it back, so I guess I will do that. The box had a big hole on one of the edges anyways, so I am guessing it was dropped and perhaps damaged from that.

Now the question is whether I should get another refurbished or go new for an extra $140. Or, since accessories4less is showing the refurbs as almost being out of stock, wait until they are out of stock, then return for exchange and see if I get a new one?

thanks all...

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstedman /forum/post/17032765

Yeah - I have absolutely nothing connected, and have given it 10 hours before trying to plug in the power cord and power it on, and still nothing. Onkyo said to send it back, so I guess I will do that. The box had a big hole on one of the edges anyways, so I am guessing it was dropped and perhaps damaged from that.

Now the question is whether I should get another refurbished or go new for an extra $140. Or, since accessories4less is showing the refurbs as almost being out of stock, wait until they are out of stock, then return for exchange and see if I get a new one?

thanks all...

I know its your money but if it were me I'd fork over the extra bucks. Extra year warranty,problably up to date firmware and software and problably will work as its supposed too. I just bought a new Siver 876 and it needs the firmware and software upgrade. Gotthe straight RS232 cord at home to do it this weekend though. If it bricks its going back for another one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A fun thing that I forgot to mention that probably has something to do with it. I had plugged in the pre-outs heading out to my sub & it's crossover, and was then using the analog inputs to take the high-pass back in. This, in addition to only hooking up one of my satellites (forgot to hook up the other one in my excitement), seems like it might have screwed up something? I'm reading more about how this receiver doesn't like to have it's preouts used in conjunction with other stuff.

Waiting to hear back from the local service center with their thoughts.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Why are you messing with a service center if you just got the receiver? Onkyo told you to send it back and I would have told you that before even calling Onkyo. Even if the service center will look at it you're taking about weeks-if your lucky and maybe months before you get it back. Send it back into AC4Less now for and exchange or whatever you choose. They are great people to deal with and it's the simplest, quickest most pain free solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts