AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone that has helped me with my new projector know that I am still here, I have just been busy with a big project. As some of you may know my home theater is really my garage and it has served me well for two years, but after seeing all the wonderfull home theaters that people on the forum have, I decided to really do my garage up right. I am going to add a ceiling,walls and some fancy lighting. My goal is to have a fully functioning garage (work bench, car parking, storage) that can be converted to a full fledge home theater in fifteeen minutes or less. I also hope to do it for less than $500.00. I am learning alot about drywall, electrical wiring and the like. I hope to have my theater back up and running by Christmas. Wish me luck and I will keep you all posted. Thank you all for your help. Here are a few photos of what I am up against.

Will

http://members.home.net/wschellen/im...ponentRack.jpg
http://members.home.net/wschellen/images/Projector.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew my garage theater would bring out some interesting coments. Ray if you know any key-board short cuts for my RF keyboard that can open and close the garage door that would be cool. Taylor, the toilet seat liners started as a joke to a friend of mine that complained about the seating in my garage. I found a dispenser of these things when I was helping someone move their office and I thought ah-hah this is just the thing for those pesky guests. Chris I have talked about doing it several times, but I cant get my wife into the back seat with me anymore like I could in high school so it's just not the same. We do on occasion watch a movie with the garage door open. It is very plesent on warm summer nights as long as the moon doesn't wash out the screen. Actually converting the garage to a theater is a good way to go for many reasons. There are no windows to worry about covering, the wall between the garage and the house is already double thick (fire codes) which is nice for keeping the sound in, and perhaps most important is the wife acceptance factor. Being that it is the garage I have free reign on how to paint and decorate and the wife just shakes her head and says do what ever you want it's your garage. Thanks for the comments guys. I will post more pictures as I go along.

Will

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Will,

Is your garage heated/cooled from the rest of the house (if it was though, wouldn't this go against fire rules?) At least I hope you live somewhere with more or less constant temperatures! You wouldn't see anyone in this neck of the woods (Ottawa Canada) doing this: The temperatures in my garage swing from about -40 in the winter to +40 in the summer!

Kal

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I'd leave it just the way it is. Looks just like my current HT setup..:D

Good luck, looks very promising!

Curt

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kal,

I am not sure I understand your comment about having the garage heated/cooled and how this affects the wall that adjoins the garage and house, but for the record I live in Southern California. This makes a garage theater just that much more practical.

Will

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Hi Will,

About the heating/cooling & the wall between the garage and the house: You mentioned that the wall is already double thick for fire code reasons (this is normal). If you wanted to heat or cool your garage using your house HVAC system, you'd have to penetrate this wall to pass ductwork. That would break the firecode. That's all....

Since you're in Southern Cali, your temperatures are probably pretty constant. It's an interesting project - just something that a lot of people can't do as the temperatures in some garages (such as mine) swing as much as 120 degrees fahrenheit between summer/winter and garages are rarely ever heated or cooled (waste of energy).

Kal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.