AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been a long time member of this forum and just created my own site that I think you might find interesting.

The site is Netflix Forums, a forum site completely dedicated to all things Netflix.

The URL is www.netflixforums.com

It's brand new! No posts or users yet, be the first!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 /forum/post/16957101

Well it looks nice enough. Now to get some traffic, right?

DGK

Thanks, and I agree about the traffic. I really have no concept on how to accomplish that. Any suggestions?

I am also open to suggestions on board ideas, I came up with as many as I could think of. Is there a topic relating to Netflix that I have overlooked?

So suggestions in any way are most welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
First, allow guests to post without registering. You're brand new with no posts yet I have to register to talk to no one. You can require registration later.

Get rid of 99% of the sub-forums, they are useless and make people feel they could never keep up with all the sub-information. You should only create sub-forums when your members start screaming at you.

You should have:

General discussion: (every bit of that sub-crap can go right here)

Netflix players: what's out there, whats coming.

Reviews: My BD300 just crapped out and I want a replacement, what should I get? You MUST review every NF player available, people should be allowed to post their own experiences.

Let the site grow organically, you can't know the direction it will take, stop trying to predetermine what people will want to talk about.

Let's review, start with those three forums.

Have open posting until you get enough activity going to make it worthwhile to register.

Review all the players available, millions will find you while looking for, guess what, reviews of NF players.

Good luck and have fun!

(I have run a successful hobby forum for the last 9 years)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really like the design of the site good work. I'll check it out!

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego /forum/post/16950327

Hi guys,

I've been a long time member of this forum and just created my own site that I think you might find interesting.

The site is Netflix Forums, a forum site completely dedicated to all things Netflix.

The URL is www.netflixforums.com

It's brand new! No posts or users yet, be the first!

Thanks,

Mike

I applaud your initiative! I wonder if Netflix will feel otherwise, though, since you are using their name?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew2k /forum/post/17119177

I applaud your initiative! I wonder if Netflix will feel otherwise, though, since you are using their name?

Thank you for the feedback. So far Netflix has not contacted me, I can't imagine they would mind any free publicity that the site may offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyy /forum/post/17113408

I really like the design of the site good work. I'll check it out!

Thank you I really appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver /forum/post/17101186

First, allow guests to post without registering. You're brand new with no posts yet I have to register to talk to no one. You can require registration later.

Get rid of 99% of the sub-forums, they are useless and make people feel they could never keep up with all the sub-information. You should only create sub-forums when your members start screaming at you.

You should have:

General discussion: (every bit of that sub-crap can go right here)

Netflix players: what's out there, whats coming.

Reviews: My BD300 just crapped out and I want a replacement, what should I get? You MUST review every NF player available, people should be allowed to post their own experiences.

Let the site grow organically, you can't know the direction it will take, stop trying to predetermine what people will want to talk about.

Let's review, start with those three forums.

Have open posting until you get enough activity going to make it worthwhile to register.

Review all the players available, millions will find you while looking for, guess what, reviews of NF players.

Good luck and have fun!

(I have run a successful hobby forum for the last 9 years)

Well being as you have done this successfully for 9 years and I have been an abysmal failure for the last 2 months I decided to completely revamp the forum layout based on your suggestions.

Guests can now start topics and post replies to topics. The only thing is that the forum software requires them to enter an email address to post, I don't think that will be too much of a barrier for most people. I also drastically reduced the forum count down to a total of 6 boards.

Please take a look and let me know what you think, maybe even post something over there. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver /forum/post/17101186

I run and owned a few web forums like slkworld.com a 2.5 yr old site. My main business is webhosting and do this stuff for a living

This suggestion will have every spam bot on the web posting on your site in no time.

If you were using vBulletin I would suggest vbseo.com to drive traffic. It has worked for me and many others, also submitting your site to the search engines. (mods feel free to delete links if they violate the forum rules)

·
Registered
325 Posts
No problems with bots at all. We get a few human spammers but that's all a part of running a forum. Open posting is key for a new forums survival, I still have it to this day. That's why God invented the delete key.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just registered...but it was a PITA, especially since you are using captcha. It took three tries before I could recognize the characters. That's a real turn off and totally unnecessary. There should not be any registration requirement.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc15 /forum/post/17276748

I just registered...but it was a PITA, especially since you are using captcha. It took three tries before I could recognize the characters. That's a real turn off and totally unnecessary. There should not be any registration requirement.

Thanks for the feedback. However I turned off the requirement to register to post. If a user chooses to register isn't a registration system such as I use typical? Or are you saying that the characters that my captcha system provided were simply too difficult to read?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I assumed registration was required...pilot error. I haven't registered for many forums but your system is pretty typical. The captcha was difficult to read. Registration plus captcha plus email verification seems overkill to me, but I've never tried to run a forum. Probably makes perfect sense from your end but a nusiance from mine. Nothing serious. Just one of life's little abrasions.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc15 /forum/post/17277378

I assumed registration was required...pilot error. I haven't registered for many forums but your system is pretty typical. The captcha was difficult to read. Registration plus captcha plus email verification seems overkill to me, but I've never tried to run a forum. Probably makes perfect sense from your end but a nusiance from mine. Nothing serious. Just one of life's little abrasions.

Again thanks for the insight. I just made the captcha easier to read by reducing the complexity of the visual verification image from high to medium. If you find a minute I would love to hear your impressions of this change. To check it simply log out of your account and then click the register link. You will immediately see the new verification image style on the registration page.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc15 /forum/post/17277733

The new image style is much better...thanks

Thank you, your input is most valued!

Since implementing some of the suggestions in this thread, people are actually starting to post and even join. I can't attribute this to coincidence. Sure it's slow but it's progress none the less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.