AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share some pictures of my new theater setup. I replaced my 50" plasma with a HX1 and 100" Firehawk screen. I have not even done the calibration DVD yet, and I am impressed. I obsessed over geometery, but I still had about half an inch out of alignment. I zoomed out slightly and it looks fine. The velvet frame really sucks up the overscan. Of all the upgrades I've done to this system over the past 2 years, the big screen has been, by far, the best. I could not have done it without all the guidance from AVS Forum!

http://www.tvuplink.net/albums/bigHT/DSC_3019.sized.jpg

· Banned
941 Posts
bob z:

You have a beautiful set up. Congratulations. My contractor is dragging his feet abit but I should be ready shortly. I will post some pics as soon as I can. Thanks for the posters idea. I will try and get some on eBay. Do you have glass on them?

Also, what are you feeding the beast with? The PQ looks awesome.

· Registered
3,028 Posts
Very nice! What kind of room is it in? Is it a dedicated room or is a family room/HT room (doing double-duty, so to speak). The reason I ask is that if it's a dedicated room, you will really help out your picture if you can paint the wall behind the screen black. Your components and speakers will completely disappear when you watch a movie.

· Registered
4,188 Posts
Second the paint suggestion. If black does not fly, as dark of a color as you can manage. And not just that wall, the ceiling as well. Will make a huge difference to your contrast level even with an HX1. My PJ is a 20HD (PLV70) and going from white to dark walls was super important.

Is your CC a VMPS too?

BB

· Registered
964 Posts
Very nice! Even though I lust after LCOS/D-ILA projectors I'm at least as impressed by the VMPS RM-40s as the screen. Man, I want a pair of those. If I were upgrading my Mirages their little brother RM-2 would be on my short list.

· Registered
976 Posts
what are those speakers?

chris

· Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I really am happy with the recomendations I got from Jason here at AVS as to which screen/PJ to get. The plasma screen was nice, but its really not a theater without a big screen! Yes, it is a dedicated basement room, and I may do the black paint thing. Do you guys use regular black wall paint? The movie posters have non-reflective glass on front. You need some kind of glass, and its worth the extra cost to do it that way. I like the VMPS speakers, although the 5x125 watt amp really is not powerful enough for them in this room. My next upgrade will have to be a pair of those effeciant little Innersound ESL 800 monoblocks.

Problem I have now, as good audio design puts the speakers 2-3 feet from the back wall, it really cuts down on the viewing angle because they are 66" tall. They get in the way of seating positions that are not on the red couch. If I ever have a lot of people over (I think this year's Superbowl party will be here if I want it or not- GO EAGLES) I may just push the speakers back so more people can get a good view.

· Registered
207 Posts
As far as paint I have had good success with Muralo paint. It is made for film,tv, and theater production. It has a very low reflective index and is ideal for HT.

The wife will like that it comes in other colors other than black.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.