AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my TM700 (PAL 50P version) yesterday and have been making a lot of use of the PRE-REC (or pre-record) function ... but I seem to have found a bug. Under certain conditions - this function causes the camera to lock up completely (the mode dial does nothing, the touch panel in non-responsive, the on/off button doesn't work). The only solution is to remove the battery.


Here is the combination of events that causes this (note that I am in 1080p recording mode with iA set on and recording to internal memory NOT SD card):

Turn camera on
  • Access PRE-REC function via left corner touch screen menu
  • Press PRE-REC once to turn it on
  • Press record button - record a bit (eg. 5-10 seconds) - then press record button again to stop recording.
  • Press PRE-REC button once you have stopped recording (typically while PAUSE is on screen - but can be after) - then immediately press it again (just as you would if you were trying to get ready for your next PRE-REC shot ... but didn't think the button press had worked as you didn't get on screen confirmation or sound effect - so pressed it a second time).
  • Your camera will now be locked solid.


Note that this lock up will NOT occur when recording to SD card - it only happens when recording to internal memory.


I know you might say "well don't do that sequence of presses then you won't have a problem" - but the reason I bought the camera was to video my son playing basketball. It is such a fast moving game that the 3 sec buffer is perfect for capturing what I would normally miss. Unfortunately - the design of the software for the camera forces me to have to quickly press PRE-REC again every time I pause recording (as it defaults back to off as soon as you record anything) - and because I don't want to miss anything I must be pressing PRE-REC too quickly (while the PAUSE message is still on screen) and occasionally registering a double press (either through impatience, human error, shaky finger or any other reason).


I would be really interested to hear from other owners to see if this fault is able to be reproduced on their TM700 (to rule out the possibility that mine is just a dud or has some internal memory flaw).


Other than this bug - I love the camera and can't wait to explore its features more fully.


Cheers,

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
My advise for now would be to either return it or buy cards at least 16GB. As far as returning it, it's far easier to do if you live right next to the place that you bought it from since the last thing you need is to be away from a camcorder for 1 or 2 weeks especially knowing that you could miss very important games from your son.


I've had my GH1 for over a year and recently the button that allows me to take off the lens got loose. Even though I have an extended warranty, the thought of returning the camera to get it fixed is completely out of the question. The last thing I need is for an important gig or event coming up and the camera is away from me. I will send it in for repair once I get my GH2. It would definitely be very bad if I got issues with the GH2 so I'm going to have to cross my fingers.


Hopefully you can get this resolved or someone else can help you in another way. I haven't used the camera yet but I may do the unthinkable, get both the GH2 and TM700. The GH2 would cover shooting videos at night and taking pictures while the TM700 would cover taking videos during the day. The both complement each other nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Hmmm, that's very interesting. I'll have to check that out, and let you know...

I had already noticed that after pressing the record button a second time to stop a recording, the memory access red LED stays lit for a few seconds while the file is being written and closed in internal memory.


I have never tried to use the pre-record function yet. Maybe there's a bug in the firmware that locks-up the camcorder if you try to record while it is writting something to internal memory?


I'll let you know what my TM700 does...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
I'll be looking forward to your results because the pre-record function is something I'll find myself doing if I were to ever get the TM700.

I shoot concerts sometimes and once a band decided to start earlier without any warning to me and that pre record would have helped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19517786


Hmmm, that's very interesting. I'll have to check that out, and let you know...

I had already noticed that after pressing the record button a second time to stop a recording, the memory access red LED stays lit for a few seconds while the file is being written and closed in internal memory.


I have never tried to use the pre-record function yet. Maybe there's a bug in the firmware that locks-up the camcorder if you try to record while it is writting something to internal memory?


I'll let you know what my TM700 does...


I'd really appreciate that. I quite like the way you can record to internal memory at 1080p - then copy in camera from internal memory to SD in 1080i (to make editing and sharing easier). Hopefully I am not going to have to bypass internal memory - as that defeats the purpose of having bought the better specc'd TM700 instead of the Australian available model SD700 (without internal memory) - and is a waste of 32GB!


Cheers,

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Yep, mine does the same thing. So it is definitely a bug in the firmware. To avoid it, I suggest making sure you don't press PRE-REC a second time before the message "PRE-REC ON" has had time to disapear. I know it's kind of a lame solution, but it works. My camera locks-up only when touching the "PRE-REC" button while the message "PRE-REC ON" is being displayed.


This seems to confirm the notion that no software is ever really bug-free...


I wonder if the new TM750 has the same bug?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaddaye /forum/post/0



I'd really appreciate that. I quite like the way you can record to internal memory at 1080p - then copy in camera from internal memory to SD in 1080i (to make editing and sharing easier). Hopefully I am not going to have to bypass internal memory - as that defeats the purpose of having bought the better specc'd TM700 instead of the Australian available model SD700 (without internal memory) - and is a waste of 32GB!


Cheers,

Scott

Well you could always record 1080p to SD card, and then convert to 1080i to internal memory, and dump via USB for editing... Of course, the sharing part would be a pain, because you would have to re-copy back to SD card in order to take it with you...

Nah, just don't press that "PRE-REC" button too quickly, and everything will be fine. After all, it is hard to ignore the on-screen confirmation message that comes up once you press it the first time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
In this case, I'd probably email Panasonic about the issue and see what they say. It would be great if this thing is a software problem rather than a hardware problem because all it may take is a firmware update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19517839


Well you could always record 1080p to SD card, and then convert to 1080i to internal memory, and dump via USB for editing... Of course, the sharing part would be a pain, because you would have to re-copy back to SD card in order to take it with you...

Nah, just don't press that "PRE-REC" button too quickly, and everything will be fine. After all, it is hard to ignore the on-screen confirmation message that comes up once you press it the first time!

Thanks again for going to the trouble of testing this for me - what an amazing world where you can have a problem and then half an hour later a complete stranger from elsewhere in the world can help you with it. I'm glad to know my camera is no worse off than any others out there.


I agree about not pressing the PRE-REC button too quickly. Today was my first day filming - and I had no idea at the time what sequence of events was causing the problem (I had my eyes mainly on the basketball and so was relying on the beep noise to tell me that the button press had worked ... therefore no immediate beep = press it a second time).


It is really interesting that it does not do it when recording to SD.


Cheers - and thanks again,

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/19517843


In this case, I'd probably email Panasonic about the issue and see what they say. It would be great if this thing is a software problem rather than a hardware problem because all it may take is a firmware update.

Thanks for the reply. I will log it with Panasonic and see what happens (although I'm tipping that the lucky owners of the 2011 model will be the ones to get the fix!).


Cheers,

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaddaye /forum/post/0



Thanks again for going to the trouble of testing this for me - what an amazing world where you can have a problem and then half an hour later a complete stranger from elsewhere in the world can help you with it. I'm glad to know my camera is no worse off than any others out there.


I agree about not pressing the PRE-REC button too quickly. Today was my first day filming - and I had no idea at the time what sequence of events was causing the problem (I had my eyes mainly on the basketball and so was relying on the beep noise to tell me that the button press had worked ... therefore no immediate beep = press it a second time).


It is really interesting that it does not do it when recording to SD.


Cheers - and thanks again,

Scott

You're welcome, Scott. Glad to have been of some help to you! That's the magic of the internet my friend! I'm in Canada, it's the middle of the night here, but i couldn't sleep so I was looking for new replies on my Ipad in bed... I guess I'll try to get a little shut-eye now...


Good night, or good day, whatever the case may be!


Alain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19517862


You're welcome, Scott. Glad to have been of some help to you! That's the magic of the internet my friend! I'm in Canada, it's the middle of the night here, but i couldn't sleep so I was looking for new replies on my Ipad in bed... I guess I'll try to get a little shut-eye now...


Good night, or good day, whatever the case may be!


Alain.

You are a champion Alain (and it is 9pm here in Melbourne Australia).


Sleep well :)


Cheers,

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/0


In this case, I'd probably email Panasonic about the issue and see what they say. It would be great if this thing is a software problem rather than a hardware problem because all it may take is a firmware update.

Good idea. But I wonder if it is possible to perform a firmware update at all in this camcorder? Let's hope so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
Well the never versions of the camcorder, the TM650, TM750 and the SDT750 are already out although the one in the US, the SDT750 doesn't have any built in memory. Then again, I believe your the first person to ever bring this up online so perhaps Panasonic never knew about the issue to begin with so it got carried on to the TM650 and the TM750. It would definitely be good to know if those new camcorders have this issue or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason why the unit locks up is due to the fact that its trying to process numerous commands in a short period of time. We recommend that after you finish recording and press the pre record button, you allow a few seconds before pressing it again.


Cheers,

Scott
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top