AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awesome set! The new focus feature is over rated, but still nice to have. I'm a little confused as to why my DVD's don't come out full screen. I thought that letterboxed DVD's would come out full screen on a 16:9 set, but that isn't the case. Can anyone explain why that is? On the DVD jacket it says widescreen format. Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bone_stock:
I thought that letterboxed DVD's would come out full screen on a 16:9 set, but that isn't the case. Can anyone explain why that is? On the DVD jacket it says widescreen format.
It depends on the aspect ration of the DVD. 1.85:1 will feel the screen completely, 2.35:1 will display some black bars.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by aberk62:
Quote:
I thought that letterboxed DVD's would come out full screen on a 16:9 set, but that isn't the case. Can anyone explain why that is? On the DVD jacket it says widescreen format.
It depends on the aspect ration of the DVD. 1.85:1 will feel the screen completely, 2.35:1 will display some black bars.

You hit the nail on the head sir! On the DVD jacket it says 2.35:1. I didn't realize there was a difference in widescreen formats. Thanks! From now on I'll look for 1.85:1 DVD's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
From now on I'll look for 1.85:1 DVD's.
I have a previous model, the TW65X81, and prefer 1.85:1 DVDs also, for the same reason - they fill the screen, but I base my viewing mainly on the quality of the films. I wouldn't reject 2.35:1 films out of hand or you'll miss seeing many wonderful movies. On this phenomenal TV set with it's very large screen, even the wider-screen format movies with a bit of black bar at top and bottom provide a nice, large, easily viewable picture.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree 100%. I wouldn't reject a DVD just because of the aspect ratio. However, first choice would be one that would fill the entire screen (1.85:1). Once again thanks you guys have educated me on the differences in wide screen formats. Previously, I thought there were just 2, 4x3 and 16x9.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Heres an observation for you:

I have a Panasonic A120 (read: cheap, non-progressive) DVD player. I tried playing a variety of disks (notably The Patriot, Star Trek Insurrection, Cronenberg's eXistenX) in different aspect ratios through an S-video connection to my 57H81. I always saw the "letterboxing" bars top and bottom. It did not matter if the 57H81 was set on FULL or TheaterWide mode 1....

THEN, I switched from the S-Video connection to a component connection. NOW, almost all the the disks that I tried before can be made to fill the screen. The only ones that do not do a full expansion are original 4:3 formatted for TV (My Sci-Fi Channel "Dune" disk still has some letterbox). Some DVD's "like" the Full screen mode, some have to be expanded with Mode 1.

I do not know why S-Video would prevent me from seeing full screens from my DVD player... all I know is that the switch fixed my concern.

Who knows why this would help?

dan

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To further muddy the waters a component connection is all I have hooked up to my 65H81. By component connection I mean one cable with three wires (red, blue, and green) coming directly from my progressive scan DVD. The DVD with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio does not fill the screen no matter what screen size setting I use on the TV. Not only that but the DVD is set to 16 x 9 output.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This might be obvious to most people, but it was not obvious to me, so I mention it here.

I bought my DVD player, and was impressed with the improvement over VHS. Then I bought the wide screen(HDTV) and was impressed again. Then I told my DVD player that I had a 16:9 TV and was once again impressed with the improvement. Most DVD players put out a different signal for 16:9 TVs vs the 4x3. The same is TRUE for most STB (HDTV receivers).

------------------

Owen

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bone Stock,

Please don't dismiss movies just because they aren't in a 1:1.85 aspect ratio! Your new 16x9 TV is really wonderful for DVDs, but not all movies will fill it. Classics like Casablanca and Gone with the Wind are 1:1.33. Wide screen epics like Star Wars, Braveheart and Ben Hur are 1:2.35 or more. The important thing is that you can see the movie as the director intended, with more picture detail and fidelity than vhs or cable.

The 1:1.78 (or 16x9) aspect ratio is the geometric mean between ntsc tv's 1:1.33 and the widescreen panavision standard 1:2.35. It is also just about dead on for the common 1:1.85 aspect ratio used for most of today's movies. Depending on the overscan on your toshiba, you may or may not notice tiny black bars with 1:1.85 material. The letterboxing on 1:2.35 material should be as small or smaller than the letterboxing of 1:1.85 material on a traditional ntsc tv.

You picked a great hdtv. Now go out and enjoy some great movies!

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Its amazing to me how quickly we forget our geometry. A 2.35:1 movie aint gonna fit in a 1.78:1 screen without bars. Now, wait till you watch Ben Hur (its something like 2.7:1).

Brian

------------------

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cosmetically there is a very slight change to the trim ring around the screen cover as well as the bottom removable cover. I performed a manual service convergence on my 65H81 last night following the instructions for the 65H80. The 65H80 instructions worked perfectly on my 65H81. The users convergence worked OK out of the box, but I found out it was way off at the service level. WOW, did the service convergence ever sharpen the picture. Even regular coax cable looks good. Progressive DVD's are just awesome. Truly mirror like! Anyway . . ... hope that answered your question.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Cosmetically there is a very slight change to the trim ring

around the screen cover as well as the bottom removable cover.
Thanks. Is the exterior the same color as last year's model?

I read that some dimensions and the weight are less this year

than last.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've actually only seen 65H80. If the other 65H80's are all the same as that one the color of the 65H81 is very similar. Again, the difference being a different screen trim ring as well as a different removable bottom. In other words the difference is evolutionary as opposed to revolutionary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.