AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased the Sony Bravia KDL-46HX729 model (3d) I love it and the picture. I also went ahead and purchased the Disney WOW calibration disc and spent 2 hours fine tuning the picture.

There is one problem. When I got to the contrast section, I could not fix my picture. I have white clipping according to this disc, very VERY bad. This TV does not have a CONTRAST setting, unless I'm blind. It has dynamic contrast something or another but its not the same thing. Its usually right near brightness. I'm not blind either, I've looke everywhere.

No matter how much I adjust the other settings, it still shows horrible white clipping. Has anyone had any experience with this and how I might compensate for this? Thanks

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiveaura /forum/post/20871444

So I just purchased the Sony Bravia KDL-46HX729 model (3d) I love it and the picture. I also went ahead and purchased the Disney WOW calibration disc and spent 2 hours fine tuning the picture.

There is one problem. When I got to the contrast section, I could not fix my picture. I have white clipping according to this disc, very VERY bad. This TV does not have a CONTRAST setting, unless I'm blind. It has dynamic contrast something or another but its not the same thing. Its usually right near brightness. I'm not blind either, I've looke everywhere.

No matter how much I adjust the other settings, it still shows horrible white clipping. Has anyone had any experience with this and how I might compensate for this? Thanks

Are you sure it not called something else like 'picture' or even 'white-level'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I adjusted the picture all the way down under "picture" and I couldn't tell a difference. There is a white level section but it's only red green or blue variants. I can try the picture setting again but I didn't notice a difference. I'll take a peek through the manual again but I don't have much hope haha

Thanks for the replies guys. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Make sure your source is sending YCbCr and NOT RGB -- sending RGB may disable some picture controls. If the source has more than one choice for YCbCr, the 4:2:2 option will avoid additional transformation calculations.

The other possibility is that some TVs display all Y values from 235 and up as the same shade of white. It's not the end of the world, but they really shouldn't do that. If the TV has a "super white" setting, try turning that on and see what happens. If it is there, you may then see steps above 235.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.