AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Xbox. From what I read it said it could play Svcd and vcd's.

Hummm... mine does not.

I finally got around to dvdrhelp and states that the older Xbox's that had the Samsung player was a good dvd player and played everything. Then the news batch Xbox, which I assume is mine said that the dvd player is called a Thompson or something like that hat does not play nothing.

Is this true? I like for my unit to play Svcds. So say mod it or something like that, but since the unit is brand new,,, I am not sure if that is the route to go. Can anyone her confirm or maybe gimme any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up looks like my is pic #2 (the one in the middle) Thompson it is.

What is a custom dashboard?

Tks

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You need a modded xbox to play those discs, they do not play them from the factory, nor will they read music CD's recorded on a CD-R. The drive brand has effect on media reading, but only on modded machines. Would not suggest modding your machine as it will ban you from using xbox live.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shahram, thanks for letting me know that. Since this unit is new and I got the bestbuy 24 month warrenty... I do not plan to mod it at all. Xbox-Live I have not looked into that yet. ;)

Thanks again

·
Registered
74 Posts
nor will they read music CD's recorded on a CD-R

mine does just fine. i think it depends on the brand of cd-r you use and the program you use to burn. i have a samsung drive and have never had a problem. a friend of mine has a thompson and could not play cd's i burned for him until i switched to nero for burning. now he has no problem playing cd-r's on his thompson.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.