AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home theatre is now complete! It was DIY and I used a Do-Able Products board from Home Depot as a screen. People claim that this is comparable with a Polywall board. I have an X1 mounted about 12' away. I run my Xbox to my PJ with 50' S-video cable.

I've played just 2 Xbox titles so far: Halo and Odd World - Munch. I find the games to be much too dark. The outdoor shots in Halo look beautiful but a lot of the indoor scenes are way too dark - some almost unviewable (I am using the flash light). Same deal with Odd World. I've tried cranking the brightness but with not much luck. Watching DVD movies is not a problem. Any ideas on how to improve this? I'm also considering getting the HI-def pack. Would that make a worthwhile difference with the X1?

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes. Most certainly get the Hi-def pack. You will be going from interlaced (480i) to progressive (480p) video and that will make the image brighter for sure. Also, experiment with you X1 settings (contast, brightness) and give presentation mode a try, too. I have done all of the above and occasionally experience some problems with black-levels, but hey...I don't even have a screen. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the timely reply, deadphish. I checked out the hi-def pack and will pick one up.

Quick question (excuse my lack of tech knowledge, bear with me) - Could I buy a component to s-video adapter and run that to my X1 using my existing s-video cable? I was looking at this product at the infocus site:

http://store.infocus.com/escalate/st...2b6b:&tab=desc

But, it says: "It is only compatible with 480i signals. Not for use with progressive signals. If you are using a 480p or 1080i signal, you will need (component to VESA adapter)." So I checked out the VESA adapter. Looks fine but would require me to get a really long PC cable to run the x1, which is expensive.

So... what I'm basically asking - what's the best (and cheapest) way to run a component signal for 50', while hopefully still using my existing s-video cable? (btw, I've read some threads about people making their own cables by soldering - I'd really rather not have to do that).

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use the 35' version of this cable works good. If you wan't an upgrade try this one.

50' is kinda long, if you can shorten the run do so. You won't be able to see the XBOX dashboard anymore, the dashboard is 480i - the X1 won't accept 480i on that input. What I did was to plug in the Hi Def pack to the XBOX. Plugged an rca cable into the green output of the HiDef pack then into to the composite input of a cheap (small) tv to view the dashboard and enabled 480P,720P, and 1080i. Next plug your new cable into the HiDef pack and the X1 and you are all set. The only way to make the XBOX dash 480 p is with a modchip.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Quote:
You will be going from interlaced (480i) to progressive (480p) video and that will make the image brighter for sure.
Ummm--the X1's built-in Faroudja scaler converts the 480i signal to 480p already. The X1 never displays a signal in interlaced mode--it is always converted to progressive. While the Hi-Def pack will improve picture quality, it is no guarantee that it will improve brightness.

GoCubs--are you playing the games with the X1 in total darkness or do you have the lights on in the room?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rice Rocket

GoCubs--are you playing the games with the X1 in total darkness or do you have the lights on in the room?
In the evening I typically turn off all of the lights and the room gets pretty dark. I keep the brightness at around 60. During the day I get a moderate amount of natural light and I increase the brightness to about 80. I'm in the process of building a black velvet border for the screen which I hope will help too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, the HDTV adapter from XBOX to X1 does make a difference in brightness. It's not super drastic, but enough to notice.

Also, a must... if it's really dark use the PRESENTATION mode on the X1, and then crank up the brightness some. That makes a big difference I think.

Sometimes I think changing the color temperture does as well, so fool with that.

B

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go Cubs have you looked at the monster cable(xbox to component) for your xbox it runs to the (component/vesa adapter) from infocus.If not check it out might be what your looking for as it really kicks the picture in the butt.

Kevin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just connected the hi-def pack and the component adapter - what a difference. THe image is moderately brighter but the higher level of detail more than compensates for any problems. It looks great! When I play in a dark room, I can leave the brightness at 50!

I have two more quick questions -

1. I plan to spilt the green component cable and send the other wire into the composite video in so I can view the dashboard. Will splitting the green signal degrade the component video quality at all?

2. I'd like to run my xbox component signal and DVD component signal trough the same cable to the projector (35 feet). Is it ok to use one of those reverse y-splitters to route them both into the same cable?

Thanks so much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.