·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

http://www.nuglobe.net/~lion/z12.jpg
http://www.nuglobe.net/~lion/z11.jpg

No need to wait till tomorrow!

Source: 960x540 60Hz pixel perfect feed from my HTPC.

I ONLY used the 15pin VGA input. My comment only apply to that connection. The lamp is in low power mode. Didn't try the high power mode.

First the good stuffs. The picture is MUCH brighter than my old AE100. Contrast is WAY better. The whole picture looks very 3D. Screendoor is a bit less than the AE100. Fan noise is a bit lower too. I didn't detect any spin-up issue in the whole 3 hours viewing. And most important, AE100-type vertical banding is almost all gone! :)

Then the BAD issues. The picture has stuttering in VGA mode. It's the single serious issue with the Z1. As I will only use the VGA port, it's stuttering playback is the deal-breaker for me. I hope someone will find a solution or there will be some firmware fix.

The VGA input has some AD (analog to digital) issue. There is some "dithering" issue in low IRE as if the Z1 don't have enough color depth to display a smooth 24bit analog input. That issue make the whole picture kind of raw and dirty, especially in dim scenes.

Btw, to my surprise, the motion scanline effect is about the same as the AE100. Maybe that is unit dependent?

Sadly, the old AE100 still gives a overall better picture IMO. The Z1 cannot stay!

Who is the next contender? :)

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I did a side-by side with my AE100 and AE300 this week. I useg component-->AA transcoder-->VGA & used a 55mm Hoya FL-D on both. It is, IMHO, a very big difference.

First the bad: The AE300 seems to be a bit dimmer in low mode (compared to the AE100). I'm not sure why. In high mode it is brighter. There is still the typicla LCD "dirty layer" that appears as if there is some layer of dirtyness over the image (minimal). There is the horizontal scan line artifact (common to LCD). It was drastically reduced with a quick 2 minute "flicker" adjustment. Regardless of what people say, some amount of defoucs is still necessary on the AE300 (minimal) in order to smooth it out a bit. This is not too necessary if you are more than 2x's the distance. I also have above 20:10 vision so I may be a bit picky.

Now the good: The AE300 has virtually no screendoor. It has a sharper image. Now when I zoom in on a 2.35:1 movie (to fill the screen) it actually looks great (compared to the AE100). The Hoya also helps the AE300 a little. I now can sit even closer to the AE300 with a much improved PQ. Blacks are much much improved on the AE300. I honestly do not feel that black level is an issue on the AE300. On the AE100 I feel that the black levels were horrible. The AE300 has the exact same throw, mount, etc. as the AE100. It has more tweakability in it's menu. The AE300 is quieter (especially in low mode). When I am approximtely 4-5 feet from it I can not hear it. Colors are richer than the AE300. Overall, I now feel that I will not be able to upgrade from this for quite a few years until there are new DLPs that are rainbow free, higher resoulution, etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by Li On
Quote:
Who is the next contender?
Li On,

I've got an AE300 myself and I think it'll be the perfect match for the next contender role:cool:

A 1:1 DVI pixel matching should be smashing... but I haven't yet managed it myself:eek:

I hope you'll get an AE300 in your hands soon...

Julia;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Damned, it was so high on my list. I was already on my way to buy one.

Have to wait a while longer then before i can the perfect PJ (for little money) :(

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bgl90042
hey robz, is the high mode on the ae300 suitable for dvd viewing? or is high mode for business presentation only?
Hi,

There isn't really a presentation mode on the ae300, since it's a home theater projector. High mode just makes the image brighter by driving the bulb higher; it doesn't mess with anything else. For me it seems like high mode makes the image 35-40% brighter (as measured from a camera), which is definately more than I expected. This echoes what RobZ said about low mode seeming dim. I recently was able to switch to high mode after the scanline tweak was discovered and I certainly noticed a difference! The image now has more punch and colors seem more vivid. Blacks are slightly grayer, but I still way prefer the image like this. It rocks, and I am surely willing to buy a couple extra bulbs here and there to keep it looking like this!

Julia, lemme know when you crack the code to a DVI 1:1 pixel mapping on the ae300. I know you're gonna be the one to do it ;) You can even borrow my new DVI cable that is sitting uselessly on my computer, as I am too busy enjoying dvds to fiddle with it...

Mike U.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I vote Li On king of the LCD projectors. To bad they don't make HD-2 models.

Don't kill me guys, just foolin around. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I thought in this thread he was saying how much he liked the z1 vs his ae-100, or am i imagining things? why the sudden change of heart/opinion?

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
He still likes the Z1 but like most of us we always want a new toy.

I'll bet the Sony HS10 gets brought home. The NEC HT1000 is out of the running though.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Mulveling is right. The high mode looks much brighter and is great for DVD viewing. It is worth shortening the bulb life for the added brightness. The only thing that I do not like is that the projector becomes audible. In low mode it is very quiet.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Quote:
The picture has stuttering in VGA mode. It's the single serious issue with the Z1. As I will only use the VGA port, it's stuttering playback is the deal-breaker for me. I hope someone will find a solution or there will be some firmware fix.
Li On, could you go into this some more? Is this a continous thing? Does it just happen occasionally? Does it seem like it is just hiccuping on a few frames or is it micro-stutter?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guitarman
I vote Li On king of the LCD projectors. To bad they don't make HD-2 models.

Don't kill me guys, just foolin around. ;)
I vote you king of DLP's! An lt150, a z90, a Sim200, and now a z9000? How many of these does your wife know about? ;)

Mike U.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I wish Li-On WOULD try to the HS10. With its resolution, brightness, interface someone with Li On's tweaking skills would be a great help to the HS10'ers. We need a guru to take the HS10 to tweakers heaven like with the 10HT of old...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:

Then the BAD issues. The picture has stuttering in VGA mode. It's the single serious issue with the Z1. As I will only use the VGA port, it's stuttering playback is the deal-breaker for me. I hope someone will find a solution or there will be some firmware fix.
Li On,

When you first tested the Z1 a while back, you said you used your friend's IBM laptop. Did you see this stuttering problem then?

Weston

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:

The VGA input has some AD (analog to digital) issue. There is some "dithering" issue in low IRE as if the Z1 don't have enough color depth to display a smooth 24bit analog input. That issue make the whole picture kind of raw and dirty, especially in dim scenes.
This needs a whole lot more explanation. And why hasn't anyone else mentioned this yet?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
There is some "dithering" issue in low IRE as if the Z1 don't have enough color depth to display a smooth 24bit analog input. That issue make the whole picture kind of raw and dirty, especially in dim scenes.
I noticed the exact same thing when i hooked up my dad's z1 to my htpc. I'm a crt pj user myself and i haven't watched a digital unit in ages (last one i owned was the sony w400 4 years ago) so i thought it was just typical for lcd.

I tested some chapters of LILY CHOU-CHOU NO SUBETE r2j which has lots of dark scenes which have amazing shadow with clean 0 ire blacks on the crt. But on the z1 these same scenes looked like 16-bit and very muddy, even at the lowest brightness setting and low power lamp. Decreasing gamma didn't help either.

I also couldn't get 1:1 pixel mapping to work with powerstrip. I tried a number of settings as posted here and elsewhere but nothing 'clicked'.

Oh well still a nice projector with pretty much perfect color uniformity on a 'black screen' and near-crt shadow detail. Blacks are still much too gray for my taste but with a gray screen (my screen is 1.5) i think i could live with it. Colors looked good after some minor adjustments. No dead pixels and no fan speed issues.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,

Sorry for not response faster. Kind of busy lately...

Before I watched the Z1 in my setup, I viewed it 2 times at two dealer showrooms. Yes, I got the 1:1 pixel perfect timing via my friend's laptop. And we did try play some short clips (vob) using WinDVD on the laptop. And yes there was some stuttering but I only thought it's due to the CPU power of the laptop so I didn't consider it is a REAL issue!

In the 2 showrooms we used normal progressive DVD player via component for casual viewing and the there was no this stuttering issue.

The stuttering is always there. In fast motion scene, one may not notice much but slow motion looks ugly!

Btw, just checked the HS10 in Sony showroom. It projects on a 100" 16x9 Da-Lite. Donno the exact model. They said the lighting switch is broken so can't turn off the room lighting! Anyway source is a Sony 915 player in progressive mode. The HS10 has the filter installed. Overall the picture looked AWFUL. Tons of compression artifacts (should be the DVD player), extremely noisy, very soft looking, and had motion stuttering too! (Sorry, just finished the Z1 the other night so still very sensitive to the stuttering issue!) But the BAD picture is to be expected in a showroom demo. I hope someday I can have it on top of my AE100 to see it's real potential.

regards,

Li On

PS: sorry jeroen for recommending the Z1 too early!

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.