·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the three I've narrowed it down to so far:

HSU STF-2

Acoustech PL-200

Cadence CSX-12 Mark II

Basically I'm looking for $350 max price, and nothing larger than 12".

I'm going to match them with a Polk system that is currently using the monitor range (soon to be replaced by RTi series). In a medium to smaller room for the moment.

I'm going to watch movies (duh) but I would prefer a sub that is musical and very quick. Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1659
Here are the three I've narrowed it down to so far:

HSU STF-2

Acoustech PL-200

Cadence CSX-12 Mark II

Basically I'm looking for $350 max price, and nothing larger than 12".

I'm going to match them with a Polk system that is currently using the monitor range (soon to be replaced by RTi series). In a medium to smaller room for the moment.

I'm going to watch movies (duh) but I would prefer a sub that is musical and very quick. Thanks!
While I am very familiar with the Hsu and the Bic...i have not had experience with the Cadence so i cannot comment on it. The Bic is a pretty good performer, however the Hsu is a little bit better musically. Not that the Bic is bad for music...but Hsu's are known for being very musical. Realize thatI am not taking into consideration the size of your room since I dont know it. I run Dual Stf-2's in a 19x19 room and theyre terrific. I setup dual Pl-200's in my friends room that is almost exactly same size....they are very good too. About equals to my ear for HT, with a slight advantage to the Hsu for Music. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan /forum/post/0

If you like the STF-2, Parts Express has the Allison 10" which is basically it's cousin. It's pretty big, beefy, and heavy. Make sure you have room for it. You can't beat it for the price.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...r=309-177&FTR=

Im not sure those are remotely close. Im not trying to start anything, but the Hsu cant really be compared to that sub. The Outlaw lfm-compact is basically the same sub. The reason i say that the Parts Express sub is not even close is that the Hsu uses a more powerful amp, higher quality driver, better built enclosure, has tons of research that has gone into making it a top notch sub. It has a flat frequency response to about 23 hz. And has been thoroughly reviewed and praised for its musical abilities as well as home theater uses. But it also more expensive. I think the Outlaw Audio sub is in stock and its virtually identical to the Hsu stf-2.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be open to other suggestions. It just seems those tend to be the subs mentioned when people talk "best bang for you buck." I honestly don't have any royalties one way or another. I'd ideally prefer a 10" which is what led me to the HSU though I wish it were front firing.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1659 /forum/post/20906794

I'd be open to other suggestions. It just seems those tend to be the subs mentioned when people talk "best bang for you buck." I honestly don't have any royalties one way or another. I'd ideally prefer a 10" which is what led me to the HSU though I wish it were front firing.

There certainly are preferred favorites among a number of the people who frequently respond -- most of which are worthy contenders -- but they're far from all that exist. For a subwoofer your $350 budget is going to be a bit of a hurdle, but it's still doable. Included with the ones already mentioned, here are a few others that might fit your needs (not listed in any particular order):

Elemental Design A3s-250

Emotiva Ultra Sub 10 (these have been discontinued, but they do still have some 'b' stock available)

Infinity PS 210

Klipsch Synergy Sub 10

Polk PSW125 and PSW505

DefTech ProSub 800

Mirage MM8

Lava LSP12

Outlaw Audio LFM-1

CHT CraigSUB 10.2

Some of these maybe a few dollar outside of your range, but they were close enough to include. I can't really vouch for any of them, so you'd have to do your homework to determine if they meet your needs, but if nothing else it's a few alternatives to look into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.