AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved this discussion to this new thread to stop hijacking the original thread where i posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaleon /forum/post/0

Hi folks, may i join?

vddobrev pointed this thread out for me back at the nvidia forums.

I realise this will be OT, but as you seemed to address this "frame pulse" issue i'll post here if ok.

I currently have this frame pulsing doing my head in. Basically, it happens to me on any codec content, whether it be mpeg2 (with or without DXVA), DV, H.264... using overlay or vmr9... SD or HD...

I've done tests on both my 6200 and my 6600GT cards, with drivers from the 9X.XX and 8X.XX series, both beta and whql and nothing seems to prevent this from happening.

On recorded content and live .TS content from DVB-T and DVB-S.

What i basically realised is that image is displayed in a wrong sequence.

For instances, let's imagine the right sequence should be:

A B C D E F G H

images (frames?) are actually displayed

B A D C F E H G

I've realised this by watching a video in slow motion when the jerking occurs.

Any help appreciated as this thing is driving me nuts.

(oh yes, btw, my setup: E6600, 2GB ram, p5b-deluxe mobo, very fast raptor hard drive...)

from: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&page=3&pp=30

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
quote by Jkohn
Quote:
The only solution I was able to find for the frame pulse bug was to replace my NVidia card with an ATI card (HIS x1950pro to be precise). I'm really glad some NVidia card owners are not affected by this bug but it was a total deal breaker for me. Hopefully NVidia will improve their drivers in the future, in the meantime I'm enjoying both broadcast HD and HD-DVD without any problems on my ATI card.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
multiple quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn /forum/post/0

The only solution I was able to find for the frame pulse bug was to replace my NVidia card with an ATI card (HIS x1950pro to be precise).

Jeeezus! I was reading so many wonders about nvidia's acceleration and video enhancement features... so i have 3 of their video cards - a 7300 on my laptop, a 6200 which jerked so i thought i needed a better one so went for the 6600GT... all of them have the same problems! This makes me really mad...
Quote:
I'm really glad some NVidia card owners are not affected by this bug but it was a total deal breaker for me. Hopefully NVidia will improve their drivers in the future, in the meantime I'm enjoying both broadcast HD and HD-DVD without any problems on my ATI card.

Yeah right, i won't trust nvidia for coming up with any solution whatsoever, from what i've been reading here and there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor /forum/post/0

Another solution for frame pulse bug is to use DScaller 5 IVTC mod for interlaced film content

Could you give any more infos on that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote by victor:
Quote:
There is no frame pulsing bug, because there is no "hardware" decoding/deinterlaceing.

I've got DScaler IVTC mod from this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=596942

Dscaler 5 from http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/dscaler5.htm

I set it up to use with MPC in IVTC "Always enabled" mode.

The only problem I've got with OTA HD movies and DVD is garbage in the DVD menus and some portion in the titles in the beginning of the movie, but I don't really care about that. I don't watch "video" material so I don't care about non-IVTC deinterlacing.

I'm running it on E6600/8800GTS system with Windows XP

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
multiple quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn /forum/post/0

I'll stick with my Radeon x1600 which can handle 1080i MPEG-2 as long as I use overlay instead of VMR9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/0

I'm surprised by this comment. My ancient Radeon 9500 will do VMR9 Windowless for MPEG2 1080i (and WMV 1080p) without tearing.

All the Nvidia's I've tried (5950 Ultra, 6600GT, 7800GT) tear for VMR9 - unless I'm missing a vsync setting somewhere.

I have another question - is anyone with a late model ATi card successfully running 1080i via DVI (or HDMI)? My Radeon 9500 won't do interlaced over DVI (only VGA) - there's a few posts about it, it's a bug.

I don't want to spend $$$$ on a Nvidia to have it tear, but I don't want to spend $$$$ on an ATI and not be able to do 1080i over DVI....

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think the issue is "fixed".

I think those premature Vista drivers just aren't using any hardware acceleration features, thus the problem doesn't manifest itself.

Best to wait until some "real" drivers are released before getting one's hopes up.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Um it IS using hardware acceleration as CPU jumps up without it. It IS fixed as it doesn't happen on the 100.30's and it DID happen on the 97.92's on XP. My settings are EXACTLY the same as it is on XP, just using Vista and the 100.30 drivers.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi664 /forum/post/0

Um it IS using hardware acceleration as CPU jumps up without it. It IS fixed as it doesn't happen on the 100.30's and it DID happen on the 97.92's on XP. My settings are EXACTLY the same as it is on XP, just using Vista and the 100.30 drivers.

This is good news! I am also affected by this problem, and I do hope they fix it in XP drivers - I am not planning to move to Vista soon.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I don't know what people mean by "pusling" but when I use nvidia purevideo decoder to playback mpeg2 1080i TS it doesn't look right. Slightly jerky and more noticeable motion blur. I know it's in use b/c the icon shows in the tray and CPU utilization is lower (20% vs 40% on elephant's dream TS). But s/w decoders, even MPC's internal mpeg2 decoder, look better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok I did just that with a few scenes in 12 Monkeys and the intro where some of the credits scroll from right to left. Did it frame by frame. No frame seemed to jumped back and the credits text definitely did not jump back for a frame. It should be obvious if it's out of order right?

Latest 93.71 drivers + automatic deinterlace + VMR9 + media player classic + purevideo 1.02.233

P4 2.8GHz

ASUS P4C800E-DLX

OCZ 1GB RAM (512mb x 2) @ 2-2-2-5

BFG 6600GT OC AGP

EMU 0404 soundcard

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.