AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i had an older sharp dlp notevision projector that i have been using in my home theater for the last couple years, but its on its last legs, so i'm looking for a replacement.

The old one was about 400$ used on ebay, 1900 lumens, 1000:1 contrast ratio. I know most of you would say that this is not a home theater projector, but watching 720P planet earth on it was nothing less than spectacular. I cant afford, nor do i believe i need a more expensive projector.

I am looking for another in the same price range 4-500$ I'm hoping now that its a couple years later, i can find a true 720p native resolution projector for the price. But i want to know what brightness to look for, and what contrast.

When i was shopping a couple years ago, i was under the impression that the brighter the better, and i didn't pay a whole lot of attention to contrast.

But i want to try to make this an upgrade if at all possible, so should i look for higher contrast now and not worry about the brightness as much?

I also need an HDCP compatible DVI input, or HDMI.

Also, if you have any suggestions for projectors i should be looking at, i'd be happy to hear them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. The only real one i have found in my price range that is true 720P wxga res. is a Hitachi PJ-TX100 for 500$

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There were some great 35% off coupons for ebay buy it now over the holidays, but sadly they are gone. The best offer I have seen are optoma HD70 refurbs on ebay with a 6 month warranty for $620. Or the Mitsubishi HC1600 which is $770-$100 rebate=$660 and a free $250 extra bulb

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's not a bad deal at all on the HC1600. I'm trying to get a little bit out of the old one, so how much i get out of that will affect my budget for the new one.

I found an new Optoma HD65 for 529$ but that price seems too good to be true, and I've never heard of the site that's selling it, so, I'm going to keep looking for a little bit. Edit: yeah it is too good to be true i googled "photodynasty"... no good. http://photodynasty.com/catalog/prod...56c619b4de0e4d

Any opinions on the Hitachi PJ-TX100 for $500?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Spend the extra and get the HD65 or the Sharp DT-510. You will be glad you did.

Both can be found for

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just another option... Eiki EIP-1500T a rebadged (Sharp DT-400T). And seems to be the same as the Sharp Z2000.

http://www.touchboards.com/eiki/EikiEIP-1500T.asp (A grade from BBB)

$599 new with 3 yr warranty. No tax.

I like the idea of being able to zoom and focus using the remote.

AND STAY AWAY FROM PhotoDynasty. I purchased the HD65 on there and THEN read the reviews. They were EXACTLY right. Got an email 3-4 days later asking me to call them to verify the order (so they can sell me a bunch of upgraded warranties/accessories that you either buy or they cancel your order and treat you like trash) .3 out of 10 stars says it all. Thats ".3" not "3"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15523293

Spend the extra and get the HD65 or the Sharp DT-510. You will be glad you did.

Both can be found for

When it comes down to it, i just don't have the extra to spend. 500$ will be pushing me beyond my limits as far as finances go...

And considering how well our 400$ PJ served us for a while, i'm not sure i need to spend more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, i ended up finding a really decent deal on an older infocus X3, which is rather similar to my old projector, but it has a higher contrast ratio, and is HDCP compatible, both of wich were pretty important to me in a new PJ.

Its not true 720p still but I'll be saving hundreds of dollars on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad139 /forum/post/15537451

I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it, just like (hopefully) many others on the forum.

Thanks, me too.

Oh, and by the way, that Sharp DT-500 without the power cord or anything just sold for about $490 on Ebay. Not a bad price still, assuming you can find a power cord around somewhere.

·
Banned
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontw /forum/post/15510787

Well, i had an older sharp dlp notevision projector that i have been using in my home theater for the last couple years, but its on its last legs, so i'm looking for a replacement.

The old one was about 400$ used on ebay, 1900 lumens, 1000:1 contrast ratio. I know most of you would say that this is not a home theater projector, but watching 720P planet earth on it was nothing less than spectacular. I cant afford, nor do i believe i need a more expensive projector.

I am looking for another in the same price range 4-500$ I'm hoping now that its a couple years later, i can find a true 720p native resolution projector for the price. But i want to know what brightness to look for, and what contrast.

When i was shopping a couple years ago, i was under the impression that the brighter the better, and i didn't pay a whole lot of attention to contrast.

But i want to try to make this an upgrade if at all possible, so should i look for higher contrast now and not worry about the brightness as much?

I also need an HDCP compatible DVI input, or HDMI.

Also, if you have any suggestions for projectors i should be looking at, i'd be happy to hear them.

Why settle for older one, if you can get brand new near to your older price. There is very cool projector available in market ie Epson Home700. Get amazing big-screen entertainment with the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 700. This affordable projector makes it easier than ever to enjoy spectacular movies, games and sporting events in the comfort of your own home. With its 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine, you get rich, vibrant images for a true cinematic adventure. And, with 2000 lumens, images will shine bright in any room.Invite the neighbors over and experience Hi-Def movies in a whole new way. Or, share photos from your SD card or laptop. With seven customizable color modes, the Home Cinema 700 is ready for any event, whether it's sharing photos or watching your favorite DVD. Setup is simple with its 1.2x optical zoom. And, it's easy to install. The Home Cinema 700 is even energy efficient with a long-life E-TORL lamp that lasts up to 4000 hours. That means you save on expenses, without sacrificing quality. So, bring big-screen entertainment home with the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 700.

·
Banned
14 Posts
I've also read some pretty nasty things about PhotoDynasty, they're a kind of bait and switch website stay away buy your stuff in places you can trust

1 - 13 of 13 Posts