AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I have an NEC LT240k. I got it in early 2003 I believe, for a home theater room I was building. It was set up and in use for a while, but eventually the screen broke. Rather than getting a new screen, our family eventually just stopped using it. I've recently become interested in home theater again, and dusted off the old NEC projector.

Here's my question: should I even worry about trying to use this projector? I know it's old, and projectors have come a long way in the 7 years since I got mine. At the time, it was a highly regarded home theater projector. Should I get a new screen and just use this one for a while longer, or should I not even waste my time? Anyone else that's had this projector I would appreciate any comments greatly, especially about setting up color settings and picking out a screen. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It depends on how many hours you have left. If it was a lot, you might consider selling it on ebay or cl and get something back and use that to downpay a more recent pj. I did that with my a10x (XGA) w/2k hrs and I got $225 for it which I ended up using for a refurb z2000 (720p) on tiger for under $400.

If you have to budget to just buy another pj, then save the nec for outdoor use like what I did on my $10 nec pj.

Victor

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've never had a 240k, but I wanted one back then. I think Kysersose could help with color settings. You'll be wanting a screen that works even better with your next projector, of course. As bright as that 240k is, you'll have lots of screen choices.

If you could sell your NEC that would be great, but I bet you would not get what it is worth to you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've been a LT240K owner/user for over seven years. I utilize the VGA ports for my progressive scan DVD player(VGA1) and my HD cable box(VGA2). I'm writing in your post here because I just found out something new about this PJ today which I cannot believe I didn't notice before. Maybe it will help you as it helped me.

I learned almost as soon as I got this PJ years ago that any DVD player hooked up to via the VGA/Component ports absolutley had to be a progressive scan player. I remember using my Pioneer DVL-919 and being horrified at the PQ. After some trial and error(different cables, dvd menu tweaking, etc.) I got a Toshiba SD-4900 PS player and thae image looked awesome.

Fast forward to today when I was trying to hook up another PJ to the my HD cable box and the image was not so hot. I went through the "settings" menu on my cable box, like I had done 100 times before, and noticed a "format" option. I always dismissed this as a widescreen, 4:3 type option, Turns out it controls the output of the signal coming from the box.(You would think they could have titles it better.) It was on "Pass Through" and it had options called Upconvert 1 and 2. Chose 2 and the image looked much better.

When I hooked my 240 back to the box I got the idea that maybe I wasn't getting the best image possible out of her. The image always looked good but looking back it could have looked a little better. Went to the menu chose "upconvert 2" and the image got much better. I even called cable(Cablevision) for me to inquire about choosing settings for certain display devices and the boob tried telling me "you don't have to set it to any specific output, it'll take care of itself". Thanks for nothing pal.

The purpose of this long story is that I feel like I just got a brand new projector. That's how much difference in the image quality there is. For maximum benefit of viewing movies and the like you will have to adjust the settings yourself. Using the "movie" setting on the 240K is ok but it's far from great. I got my settings from an online source and the difference was huge. If your still viewing this thread leave a reply and I'll list my settings for you. I just want to know you're still interested before I list them as it will take a little time.

In the meantime, check the settings on your cable box to see if you have similar options as mine did. If so, you might find a new respect and love for this old warhorse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts