AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seem to catch some flack when i say i have a Bose system, but mine is not what you might think. i have 4 BOSE 6.2 STEREO EVERYWHERE SPEAKERS for front and back surround, a Bose VCS-10 center speaker, DELL LCD TV Speakers for the sides and a Acoustic Audio model RWSub 12, 12 inch home theater powered subwoofer (eBay). i know this is sort of a hodge podge assortment, but sounds good to me. of course i blew out my eardrums back in the 70's and things didn't get better in the 80's. i had the Bose 6.2 forever and they really had a great sound so i found 2 more on eBay. the dell side speakers came with the center channel (also from eBay) so i used them. i would like to upgrade, but i don't want a bigger footprint (Dimensions: 22-1/4 H x 3" W x 3" D (stand base 4-1/2" W) and really didn't want to wall mount. i only paid about $75 for the sub. it's a little muddy, but with some tuning it worked well and took some of the pressure off the dell's. i have a 7.1 vsx-816 pioneer head to run everything.

any suggestions or comments???

btw, that's a pioneer 50" 5070 plasma mated with it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.

i've been told i might be better to ditch the Dell speakers and just run 5.1.

thoughts or suggestion for upgrades on the dell's and still not take up much floor space?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like floor space would'nt be a problem, I'd kill for that much space.

As for my opinion of your HT setup. NICE display dude!

That is a real nice plasma.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Replicating that footprint at a reasonable price may be difficult. The Polk Monitor 50 has a footprint of 7 inches wide by 9.63 inches deep. The BIC Venturi DV64 has a footprint of 8.50 inches wide by 9.25 inches deep.

With a smaller footprint than the above two speakers, it seems the price goes up exponentially - not counting the slender speakers in some HTIB offerings - and I am skeptical how much of an 'upgrade' such HTIB 'slender speakers' would provide you versus your Dell speakers.

Try the 5.1 set-up and see if you prefer it to your current 7.1 with the Dell speakers.

·
Registered
548 Posts
From what I can tell the Dells are serving side surround duty, which is very important in today's mixes. They seem to be too far forward and definitely too limited for proper surround duty - they are effectively built-in TV speakers rated for 15 watts with no bass capability below 150-200Hz. You are really cheating yourself with this solution.

This is why I'd recommend going 5.1 with your other speakers unless you are willing to add another pair of proper surround speakers.

The side surround placement is also not ideal, they should be further back (I think) and higher. It is hard to tell where everything is relative to each other though.

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/speakers/71.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i order the Polk Audio Monitor 50 Black Two-way Floorstanding Loudspeaker to replace the dell's. i hope they blend well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts