AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 1/2 year old Onkyo TX-SR805 died recently. When I looked into fixing it, I was told it would probably cost $400 - $500 for the three issues that had developed. I've decided that it would be better to buy a new receiver instead.

What I would like to know is, what current models are out there that would be similar to this unit. I don't care if it is Onkyo brand or not, I just want something that will work reliably. I'm willing to consider Onkyo again or some other brand.

My equipment that I have hooked up to it is:

Panasonic TH-58PZ700U 58" 1080P plasma TV via HDMI

Oppo DVD player via HDMI

Panasonic Blu Ray player via HDMI

PS3 via HDMI

Onkyo CD changer via optical (I think)

Speakers: (All are from AV123)

2 RS760 Tower Speakers

1 RSC 200 Center Speaker

2 RSS 300 Surround Speakers

MFW-15 Sub Woofer

What would people recommend? I'm looking to get something similar to what I had in performance/features.

Are there any links I should read to educate myself on what is available? I haven't spent much time researching stuff since upgrading all of this about 3 1/2 years ago.

Any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know someone who has the same system as you and he replace his Onkyo receiver with a lower priced receiver along with an emotiva amp and haven't look back since. If you can swing that route, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20770295

How much are you willing to spend? You forgot that part. Is the $400-500 repair cost your limit?

Probably below $1,000. It looks like the Onkyo TX-NR809 is a similar model and I've seen it coming in at around $865. I've also been looking at the Denon AVR-3311CI and the Pioneer Elite SC-35.

I'm trying to replace what we had with something similar and not get too much grief from my wife...

·
Registered
444 Posts
whoster, if you don't mind, what problems developed on your 805? I'm back in this forum trying to get ideas of what to do next... my 705's component is on the fritz. HDMIs still working but I don't know for how long.

Edit: I just read your posts on the 805 thread.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Yea Ill give you a vote for the NR809...the new ONKYO line blows away everything they have previously made.

Amplifier wise they are about the same but the new design and features are miles ahead of the old stuff.. Id go Onkyo beforw I go Denon right now....If you have to go Denon concider the Marantz stuff, Its more money but theres a reason it more money...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know. I was also impressed by some of the features.

Why Onkyo over Denon right now? Is it features, performance, price, reliability?

I've heard the Denon units have issues with their network card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C /forum/post/20770384

Yea Ill give you a vote for the NR809...the new ONKYO line blows away everything they have previously made.

Amplifier wise they are about the same but the new design and features are miles ahead of the old stuff.. Id go Onkyo beforw I go Denon right now....If you have to go Denon concider the Marantz stuff, Its more money but theres a reason it more money...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C /forum/post/20770384

What reasons would those be?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoster69 /forum/post/20770505

Good to know. I was also impressed by some of the features.

Why Onkyo over Denon right now? Is it features, performance, price, reliability?

I've heard the Denon units have issues with their network card.

The network card issue was with the xx10 series. The new models do not seem to have any issues with the network cards. I would look at Denon or Yamaha if you are wanting something more reliable. If reliability is of no concern the Onkyo seems to have a lot of features for the money. A receiver should last more than 3 years in my opinion. I got a 3311 recently for a great price so if you look around you should be able to find it pretty cheap.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I'd probably go with a refurbished NR709 from AC4L and put the remaining $420 aside. It has excellent audio and video processing, and the amps should suffice long enough for you to save a little more and add an Emotiva XPA-3 to power the front channels.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20770721

The network card issue was with the xx10 series. The new models do not seem to have any issues with the network cards. I would look at Denon or Yamaha if you are wanting something more reliable. If reliability is of no concern the Onkyo seems to have a lot of features for the money. A receiver should last more than 3 years in my opinion. I got a 3311 recently for a great price so if you look around you should be able to find it pretty cheap.

If you don't mind saying where did you get yours or do you have any suggestions on where to look (beyond Amazon, BestBuy, etc.).

Thanks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you buy an Onkyo buy the extended warranty. I'm waiting on it to drop back to $699 again and I'm buying the extended warranty. Atleast 2-4 years extra. When it breaks and I know it will they will have to replace it. My 504 and 705 broke all one month after the warranty expired.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who do you get the extended warranty from? The manufacturer or the place of purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 /forum/post/20771399

If you buy an Onkyo buy the extended warranty. I'm waiting on it to drop back to $699 again and I'm buying the extended warranty. Atleast 2-4 years extra. When it breaks and I know it will they will have to replace it. My 504 and 705 broke all one month after the warranty expired.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after spending the day researching things, here is where I am at.

I can get the Onkyo TX-NR809 for $909 including a 5 year extended warranty from B&H. It seems to have more features than just about anything else at this price point.

I did see two other deals that look interesting and I'd like some input on them.

1) I can get the YAMAHA RX-A2000 from an ebay dealer with 100% ratings for $980. This does not include any extended warranty and it is not from an authorized seller. I don't know if that is a big deal if I need support from Yamaha or not. Still it is a good product at a good price.

2) I saved the best for last. I can get the Yamaha RX-V1900BL from an unknown dealer online for $665 and it is labeled as B Stock (whatever that means -I think it means open boxed or something like that). This doesn't have a warranty either and I'm not sure if it would be honored by Yamaha.

Thoughts? What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks again to all the help and advice people have shared.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoster69 /forum/post/20772026

Well after spending the day researching things, here is where I am at.

I can get the Onkyo TX-NR809 for $909 including a 5 year extended warranty from B&H. It seems to have more features than just about anything else at this price point.

I did see two other deals that look interesting and I'd like some input on them.

1) I can get the YAMAHA RX-A2000 from an ebay dealer with 100% ratings for $980. This does not include any extended warranty and it is not from an authorized seller. I don't know if that is a big deal if I need support from Yamaha or not. Still it is a good product at a good price.

2) I saved the best for last. I can get the Yamaha RX-V1900BL from an unknown dealer online for $665 and it is labeled as B Stock (whatever that means -I think it means open boxed or something like that). This doesn't have a warranty either and I'm not sure if it would be honored by Yamaha.

Thoughts? What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks again to all the help and advice people have shared.

I'd spend the next week or so monitoring the internet carefully. The 809 has been $699 on several different occasions in the last few weeks (That's what I paid for mine). But, $909 with an extended warranty isn't bad either!

I also happen to own an RX-A2000 as well and it is indeed a pretty bad ass receiver. So you can't go wrong with the Onkyo or Yamaha. The no warranty thing on the Yamaha might make me nervous though, for such a big priced item.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoster69 /forum/post/20771219

If you don't mind saying where did you get yours or do you have any suggestions on where to look (beyond Amazon, BestBuy, etc.).

Thanks.

I got mine from Amazon warehouse deal. It was an open box but it was over 200 less than what they them for now. I would call Electronics expo and see what the cheapest price they can give you on one. The prices should continue to drop since the 3312 is out so I would continue to check Amazon.

·
Registered
936 Posts
"Yea Ill give you a vote for the NR809...the new ONKYO line blows away everything they have previously made."

I also agree, our son recently purchased the 809 and he is thrilled with how good it sounds and how many outstanding A/V features it has. The 809 is the best "bang for the buck" out there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.