AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought our RD50 a little over three years ago. When we first powered it on, we noticed the picture was crooked. Like the image was turned about 3/4 of an inch. I called Optoma, and they sent out a repair technician. He was not able to fix the problem, so they replaced the TV.

Almost a year later, the TV started showing a dark shadow on the left side of the screen that was almost 2" wide. I called Optoma to schedule a repair technician to come out and solve the problem. between the time the problem started and the time the technician got there a week later, the shadow grew to about 3" wide. He could not fix the problem so, he ordered a replacement TV. By the time the replacement arrived the shadow was almost 5" wide.

The replacement they sent that time was obviously refurbished since there was a nice scratch on the front. I sent Optoma a formal email complaint, but never heard from them. However, since the Tv was working fine and since the scratch wasn't too noticeable, I ignored it and life went on. The TV has been working fine ever since. I found out by doing some research that Optoma stopped making TVs about one month before this last issue. Go figure.

Two months ago, a message came up on the screen saying the bulb was near the end of it's life and needed to be replaced soon. Not surprised due to the age of the TV. No bid deal... or so I thought. After seeing how much a replacement bulb cost on the Optoma website ($350) I did some shopping around online. The first place I ordered from had me on back order for a month. I got tired of waiting and cancelled the order. I then found dlplampsource.com and they had them in stock. Not only that, they were even cheaper and the shipping was free. Keep in mind, these are the bulbs only, not the entire assembly. In my research I read that it's not necessary to replace the entire assembly. So they say! My new bulb arrived the next day. I installed it and everything was great.

One week later, the TV started taking a ridiculously long time to warm up (flashing green LED). A few days later, not only did it take a long time to warm up, it would eventually shut down and trigger the red LED for the bulb. So, I got ahold of dlplampsource.com and told them about my problem. They have a local distributor in my area, so I went there and swapped for a new bulb. This time it lasted 2 days and started acting just like the first one. Keep in mind, I can drop in the factory bulb thats near the end of it;s life and it works prefectly (although it flickers a little).

After talking to a guy dlplampsource.com and getting confirmation from another place that sells bulbs, I found out that "some Optoma DLP TVs have problems with the startup voltage of raw bulbs" and that most raw bulbs come from the same manufacturer. dlplampsource.com told me to send the bulb back to them for a full refund (very nice) and order a replacement bulb directly from Optoma.

So... I call Optoma... press "2" for the parts department... and of course get transfered directly to TSC. I was on hold for about half an hour then a woman told me that the person I needed to speak to was on lunch and to call back a half hour later. At least she gave me his extension. So... I call the guy and explain the situation with our TV not liking the new bulbs I have been getting. I told him that the company I ordered mine said some Optoma TVs have problems with the startup voltage of new bulbs and that I can return the bulb for a full refund. Anyway, the guy at TSC told me that this can be an issue when ordering raw bulbs without the plastic carrier. He said I was fortunate that they are giving me a refund. He said it's always a good idea to order new bulbs WITH that plastic carrier because the little circuit board on there matches the bulb. Makes sense. I did notice that little circuit board. However, like you, most people can use a raw bulb without any issues. This, along with my other research, further solidifies that the Optoma 50" RD50 has been a problematic product from the beginning. Anyway, check this out... To order a new bulb, the dude had to send me a form that I had to fill out and FAX back to him. They don't even take orders over the phone! Boy... nothing like buying a TV from a Mom-n-Pop company only to have to order parts for it from another Mom-n-Pop parts store! UGH! $408 later (with tax and shipping)...

Does this mean that I will have to drop $408 every 2-3 years on a new bulb? Needless to say, I will never buy another Optoma Product again.... even if they still made TVs. All I can say is... this new $408 bulb better work, or I am going to be seriously irritated. I'll post back here when I get the overpriced bulb in...

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
sorry to hear it. good luck w set/bulb in future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dude from TSC just informed me that the lamp is on "back order" with a best case ETA of 3-4 weeks. Hearing that on top of knowing that the first company I ordered from was on back order with NO ETA, I'm now re-evaluating this stupid TV situation. I mean, does Optoma expect me to go through this hassle every two to three years? I'm expected to spend $400+ and hopefully find a bulb in stock somewhere 2-3 years from now? Like the situation will be any better later on. Yeah right! I may have to just cut my losses with this TV and buy something better. Not that we have the money to do so!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ironically, ever since I went into the secret maintenance menu and chose "reset lamp", the TV has been warming up and turning on fine. Coincidence? Funny thing is, if I go into that menu and choose "test lamp", it comes back saying the lamp is near the end of it's life.... even though the time says 9000 hours left. Weird!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith250 /forum/post/12919423

Ironically, ever since I went into the secret maintenance menu and chose "reset lamp", the TV has been warming up and turning on fine. Coincidence? Funny thing is, if I go into that menu and choose "test lamp", it comes back saying the lamp is near the end of it's life.... even though the time says 9000 hours left. Weird!

Please Tell me how to find the secret maintenance menu.

Thanks, hcumme

1 - 6 of 6 Posts