AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Mits SR-HD5 STB hoping to get OTA HDTV on my Mits 55-857 RPTV. I live in the St. Louis, MO. area within a 25 mile range of 4 DTV Towers. The website antennaweb.org recommends a medium directional antenna to receive all 4 DTV stations. I tried several different types of antennas (Radio Shacks, Channel Masters, Winegards) all roof mounted 25 feet in the air. I replaced the RG6 Cable and made sure all connections were properly seated. I tried amplifiers and attenuators.

No matter what I tried, I got the same result. The signal meter would read about 30% and randomly drop to zero every few seconds. This same result occurred on every digital channel I tried. I rotated the antennas and also moved them around trying to find a sweet spot with no success. I also tried a Silver Sensor antenna which gave me a stronger signal (about 50%) but still had the constant dropouts.

I was about ready to accept my situation as unfixable and just blame it on severe multipath problems.

As my last resort, I decided to return my STB for a replacement. Of course I had to wait 2 months to get it.

I connected the the replacement STB to the Silver Sensor and WOW!!!!!!, 95 - 100% signal with no dropouts on all DTV Stations!

I've been trying to figure out this problem for over four months now. With all the sweat and fustration added, I finally got what I paid for. Nothing in life comes easy.

My question;

Is there a better way to determine if your tuner is defective? This would have certainly saved me alot of time on my behalf.

This would also help other people who might have a similar situation.

·
Registered
516 Posts
One suggestion would be to hook up a TV set (or VCR/tuner) to the antenna downlead and tune across channels and if you get a clear picture from analog stations then the reception of digital channels transmitting from the same location on nearby/in-between channel numbers should be fine, too. (assumes co-location of digital and analog transmitters and comparing UHF analog to UHF digital or VHF-VHF if applicable).

------------------

George at WNDU

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Foster:

My question;

Is there a better way to determine if your tuner is defective? This would have certainly saved me alot of time on my behalf.

This would also help other people who might have a similar situation.
That's a very good question and is definitely a problem. I faced the same thing when I was troubleshooting my installation -- Is the tuner any good? It seemed unwise to put more effort into fixing a reception problem when I had no way of knowing if the problem was the tuner.

Being an engineer at a hi-tech company, I was able to borrow some test equipment from work (a Sencore HDTV generator) to confirm my receivers (two different ones, actually) were working just fine. But that's not going to help most people. I suppose that argues for buying from a store that actually has OTA reception demo'd -- you can alway bring the STB to the store to test it. Of course, that won't work too well for units like the Dish 6000, which must be hooked up to a dish in order to receiver OTA, or for an integrated HDTV, where you'd have to bring in the whole TV.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.