AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too have a dream, and I'm going to call it "Narnvision".

Browsing the forum the other day I read a post on using a digital RF modulator to distribute audio/video to a variety of outputs, ie. to tv's in different rooms of the house.

Thinking about this some more, something fell into place for me :). This must be how hotels/resorts derive and distribute their own in-house movie and information channels. They must derive some information (eg. "happy hour at the pool 5pm to 6pm" accompanied by nice pipe music and maybe a video of the pool at sunset.. get's me every time) then output it through a modulator to say UHF.34 and then tune each rooms tv into UHF.34 on say ch.1. So every time you go to ch.1 you get pipe music, a picture of the pool at sunset and a lure of cheap drinks...

You can take this to a much higher level of complexity where you can distribute more news and information, ie. bill summaries, a "please call reception" for messages prompt and in some more sophisticated setups (at least in this part of the world) web access via the tv (through a wireless keyboard).

Then of course the in-house movie channel. While its easy to see how a relatively simple inhouse movie channel works, set a repeating set of videos/DVD's for the week/month through a modulator and out on UHF.35 and tune it in on ch.2 in all the rooms and bingo you have in-house movies, except that you are stuck with the preprogrammed rotation.

The thing I can't quite work out is how does pay-per-view work ?The specific aspect I am having trouble with is how to use a remote to "BUY" or start the movie. I notice that the remotes are almost always non-standard, but often a seperate remote sensor is not visible on the standard set (or if it is visible it is very small). Is it possible to use the IR sensors to pass signals back to the source ? ie. can you use a remote to start the movie ?

The point I am getting at here is that if you are not in the same room as the base (ie. the HTPC) can you still access functions remotely through a single run of wiring. eg. can I start a movie in the bedroom without the HTPC being there ?

What I would like to do is have a couple of movies stored on my HTPC and a menu that I could activate from any tv in the house, ie. the Narnvision movie channel. I also would like the Narnvision web channel to collect and possible send email and of course the Narnvision CCTV channel (with 4 camera's spliced onto one screen).

I am sure this is possible, I'm just lacking a few of the practical details.

Narn.

ps. I know this isn't strickly a HTPC post but you guy's know everything... right.

·
Registered
839 Posts
That's great. You're the one broadcasting the movies, and you're the only one watching the broadcast ;)

You're also the (only) one complaining about "This movie again tonight ?!? Come on, this is the 10th time they're showing it" ;)

In this case however, you're also the station boss that receives complains from clients :] :]

If that is not closed-circuit ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.