AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived today via fedex. I had not received any email confirmation it had shipped, so I was shocked.

A fair amount of oil was noted in the plastic package in which it was shipped, and a small bubble (due to leakage I assume) is noted inside, but I don't think this will affect the image. The oil wiped off with some windex.

My main problem/concern is that the mounting instructions say "751" and I had requested the "new" version - I thought everyone was getting the 752.

Sean, how can I tell I got the right one.

It came with no instructions, and the drop seems quite a bit more than I expected, but I've not tilted my projector up yet.

I don't want to do anything further until I can confirm which lens I have - please let me know Shawn ASAP.

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
PAP,

I forgot about the bubble. Mine has one too. It is a very tiny bubble though, not large. Shawn told me it was a product of assembly. I don't care if it doesn't effect the image.

My P752 also came with the mounting instructions labeled as P751. I don't see how this makes any difference.

Since you experience a significant vertical offset with your Panamorph, you can't have the P751. It must be the P752, like mine.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
PAP,

May I ask when exactly you bought your Pannie?

I'm wondering if my 752 might just show up unannounced.

Chris

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there an installation manual or instruction sheet I can download somewhere? I'm not sure I'm doing this right - I have to put the lens almost right next to my projector lens in order to get it to work, and the drop is several feet!

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
PAP, I regret you did not get the email notification with the tracking number - that's standard procedure so I'll check to see what's up in the morning.

All units shipping are P752s. I am still working on the instructions and we had posted that we would start shipping before these were ready just to get the units out. The instructions should be available in a few days and will be posted as a pdf file. The P751 template can be used for the main rail, but should not be used for the bypass rail because the 752 rails are not as long as the 751 rails.

The bubble is actually due to residual air coming out of every nook and cranny as the system settles and will not affect performance at all.

The most important issue is that you noted, as Larry did, that you had to clean off the oil film which obviously developed during shipping last week. This means we will be replacing your unit. Obviously this will not affect performance, so you can certainly experiment with the unit in the meantime.

Please let us know if your image drop is other than that reflected in the web site calculator. What is your throw distance and image width?

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging www.cgns.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn Kelly (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
918 Posts
I purchased a spot in the waiting list for a Panamorph from Dennis Taveras last year.

>PAP, I regret you did not get the email notification with

>the tracking number - that's standard procedure so I'll

>check to see what's up in the morning.

Shawn:

It was just sent to him a couple of days ago with my name below his despite emails to the contrary. I think you have

to check out your email a bit more often...(guess it's pretty busy around there).

-=-

Mark

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Shawn,

Can the 752 and the 235 lens be mounted on the same rail system and still allow neither one to be in front of the lens?

Expected delivery time on the 235 version? I am hoping to put one rail in and simply be able to put the 235 lens on when thats shipped and not have to deal with remounting a rail system especially since the lenses will be mounted inside a built-in-the-wall hushbox with a shelf that mounts up from underneath. Is that the way this can work?

Larry

------------------

G15 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Shawn,

I'm also interested in the expected delivery timeframe for the Panamorph II lens.

It has been encouraging to read about the 752s being delivered, and the proposed timeframe of the PII delivery was supposed to be "early August".

I understand that Cygnus is going full steam on the 752s, but it would be good to have the PII production plan and progress report page set up like you did with the 751/2 so that we know what to expect.

I appreciate your team's efforts engineering and producing the PII 2.35:1 lens, and I'm just eager to get ahold of mine. Soon I hope.

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
PAP, how much room in front of the projector lens does the 752 require? I'm building a projector pedestal and need to know how deep to make the cabinet. The projector is 16" deep and I'm hoping to get everything in a 24" cabinet.

Dan Houck

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
*sigh*

So far I count only a handful of deliveries posted.

I can forsee not resuming production for a week or two or more. Leaks aren't all that easy to solve if you have to deal with fluid expansion from baking in a UPS truck.

Nigel

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I've just about given up on Shawn's 752 delivery schedules.

I was told ten days twp weeks ago.

If I asked again today, I'm sure I'd get a similar answer.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope to get mine possibly installed this weekend. Have been so busy at work, after all this waiting I haven't even had time to sit down and look at it. Just held it up in front of the projector, but couldn't get it to work right - too much drop and it apparently needs to be very close to the projector - my hushbox may be a problem... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Also - Nigel, are you the fella who created the "DIY tube traps/room treatments" FAQ a few years back?

------------------

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I sent a message to him earlier this week to request a personal pickup because of the leak and some other things. In his reply he mentioned that they had temporarily stopped production to fix this problem. This makes sense since, given the heat lately, everyone would be wiping oil from their lenses.

Edit: I wanted to qualify this a bit more. We e-spoke on Tuesday and this is what he said:
Quote:
We've actually stopped production to revise the diaphragm seal due to this, although we should be starting again tomorrow. We have to ship to countries I've never even heard of, so we need to nail this problem.
------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

[This message has been edited by Man E (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
They sent me an e-mail confirmation yesterday with a tracking number so I guess I'll be getting mine soon.

Hmmmm...I wonder if it's the "fixed" version. This should be real interesting. It's mighty hot here. I guess I'll know it's the original one if I see goo dripping out the bottom of the package. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Chris

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Chris, When did you order?

------------------

Ken Elliott

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.