AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some research on AVS forums I decided to buy the Panasonic TC-37LZ85 TV. Disclaimer: This review airs my impression of the basic panel and not the fancy TV processing stuff which supposedly is very important for HDTV viewing.

My criteria were:

* In between 32 and 40"

* IPS panel (for better colors, low lag and viewing angles)

* Primarily for PS3 + PC usage

* 800-1000 USD range

* Preferred non gloss

Pros:

* Native 1080p panel. NVIDIA Linux drivers detect this TV automagically. I am sure Windows drivers will behave similarly.

* Sharp text (however dot pitch is high so it looks sharp when you are 3ft away)

* Has Game mode + 1:1

* Very nice colors IMO. Photo editing on this one is a pleasure, just like my 4yr old S-IPS 20" monitor!

* Awesome viewing angles unlike other brands

* I cant see any lag

* One of the lowest priced 37" 1080p panels among the top brands

Cons

* No VGA input (hence cant connect my older laptop) - real bummer

* No RGB settings (in 2008!)

* Didnt have a 1080p version of the 32LZ85 with the matte anti glare coat.

Have some pics for the curious minds, all with Ubuntu, from my PC:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/...6081ce_b_d.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/...aaaa6b_b_d.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/...18d9b6_b_d.jpg

Description:

Everyone in BM stores asked me to buy either a SONY or a Samsung and I was surprised to see that neither had IPS panels. The only options were Panasonic, LG and some Philips models in the 32-40 range. All the above models were very hard to find. Store pics didnt help much as their settings are not what I would like them to be.

I took my chances with Amazon due to their white glove delivery (which was free for a Prime member ) and their great return policy, I narrowed down to TC-32LZ800 or TC-38LZ85 at the same price point. The LZ800 seemed to have 120Hz and a VGA but didnt have an Anti glare filter .... so I decided to forgo the VGA and ordered the LZ85.

The TV arrived flawlessly and I am very impressed by the white glove delivery. No dead pixels. Connected the PS3 and the pics were gorgeous. It took me a couple of days to find the adjustments I liked (again the forum helped me). I was happy with the PS3 output. My cheapo basic cable looked ok too

The last issue was to connect the TV to my Linux box. I have a low end NVIDIA 8xxx card and I didnt have to do ANY config. Started my computer and it autodetected the screen and got me a nice 1920x1080 screen. I did have to set the HD mode to 2 (which is 1:1), use the game mode HDMI input (HDMI3) and turn down the sharpness to near 0.

Edit: more pics -

GT 5 prologue:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/...f440f6_b_d.jpg

Blue Ray:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/...ed9c0e_b_d.jpg

upconverted by ps3:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/...985dac_b_d.jpg

·
Registered
304 Posts
the 800 doesnt have 120hz so other than vga and gloss it's not really worth the extra cash.

what settings are you using with the 85? i plan to pick one up, hopefully tonight if any are left in stock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx /forum/post/14276076

the 800 doesnt have 120hz so other than vga and gloss it's not really worth the extra cash.

what settings are you using with the 85? i plan to pick one up, hopefully tonight if any are left in stock.

I typically do the following:

* Backlight is 10-20

* Picture is around 30-50

* Brightness 70-80

* Color: 40-50

* Sharpness: 0 for computer, 20-30 for TV

* Tint: 0

* All fancy AI controls - off

* I turn on the 3D comb filter for SD cable

* Run PS3 using non game mode HDMI and computer using game mode (as I want to do 1:1)

My requirements are very simple: A good IPS panel to be driven by PS3, PC.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by envydd /forum/post/14276540

I typically do the following:

* Backlight is 10-20

* Picture is around 30-50

* Brightness 70-80

* Color: 40-50

* Sharpness: 0 for computer, 20-30 for TV

* Tint: 0

* All fancy AI controls - off

* I turn on the 3D comb filter for SD cable

* Run PS3 using non game mode HDMI and computer using game mode (as I want to do 1:1)

My requirements are very simple: A good IPS panel to be driven by PS3, PC.

Is it possible to run both the PC and game console with game mode (game mode on two different inputs, both HDMI)?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use the PS3 using the non game mode input and let is autodetect the screen params and I use the game mode with my PC. Hope this helps

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx /forum/post/14276076

if your saying the 32lz800 is more, its not.

envydd post some pics of the ps3, blu ray and HD tv.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Supra /forum/post/14280161

if your saying the 32lz800 is more, its not.

im was talking about the 37" sizes since this thread is about a 37" tv.... however the 37LZ85 can be found for the same price as the 32LZ800. I picked up a 85 last night at bestbuy for less than the 32LZ800.

imo unless you really want vga or a glossy screen i would go with the LZ85. better deal imo. i will post full impressions later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
242 Posts
They look great. Thanks for the reply. that upconvert shot is amazing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Supra /forum/post/14281934

They look great. Thanks for the reply. that upconvert shot is amazing.

Isnt it? I am mesmerized by the PS3 upconvertion for that movie. For just that and the blueray, its worth it. Not to mention that one can game and run a full fledged OS (Linux). A slim computer with a BR drive costs double that.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by envydd /forum/post/14279590

I use the PS3 using the non game mode input and let is autodetect the screen params and I use the game mode with my PC. Hope this helps

So you are saying that only one input gets game mode? What does game mode do? Do you still have control over image parameters in Game mode/other modes?

Do image parameters (sharpness, backlight etc...) apply to each mode separately or are they global(set it once and every mode gets the value)?

I am pretty much sold on getting one of these LCDs, but still trying to better understand these "modes" function and limitations. Reading the manual I downloaded doesn't make it all that clear.

My primary use will be computer LCD (games, movies, internet) and maybe a PS3 in the future.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx /forum/post/14284752

oops

sorry to hear that. I was very scared of this issue and this and the dead pixels are the 2 things I checked when the TV was delivered by CEVA (white glove vendor for amazon). With CEVA I would have refused delivery if I had heard any buzzing. Fortunately I cant hear a buzz unless I keep my ears against the back or my ears need to be checked.

Can you exchange it for another one?

Anyone have a buzzing noise after buying from Amazon.com?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I so wish Panasonic made bigger lcd tv's. My first hdtv was a Panasonic TC-32LX60 and I was very impressed with it, and still am after 2 years. This tv handles games much better than my new KDL-40W4100 Bravia........ I think that the Sony and samsung sets are way over hyped and anyone looking for a set under 40in. should definitely check out the Panasonics.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Anyone know how to get the tv to switch from HD Size 1 to HD Size 2? I have my dish network box plugged in via HDMI but that option to switch it is greyed out, manual not much help in explaining why.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom4420 /forum/post/14301775

Anyone know how to get the tv to switch from HD Size 1 to HD Size 2? I have my dish network box plugged in via HDMI but that option to switch it is greyed out, manual not much help in explaining why.

Try the game mode HDMI (3)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I thought that the option would be available for all inputs.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts