AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was visiting my brother this weekend and there was quite a difference between my Panasonic TCxxxxS1 and his Samsung

On ESPN-HD his tv is A LOT more crisp than my ESPN-HD.

Be both have Time Warner Cable - mine in North Carolina and his in South Carolina.

I have TiVo but he does not. Could that be it??????

TWC had to install some kind of card so we could use the Tivo. Could that be it????

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
No, the tivo is not the problem. I made the switch away from my tivo series 3 with a TWC cable card to there proprietory box, and there was no picture quality difference.

I am using a 50" Panasonic S1. Cable HD is a really lousy source to begin with, but I wouldn't doubt the S1 produces a softer picture then the samsung. Is it a plasma or there LED/LCD? It doesn't make a difference either way. It just may be the S1 produces a softer picture in comparison.

There is an official tc-pXXs1 thread. It is huge and has tons of information.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogmeg /forum/post/19557329

I was visiting my brother this weekend and there was quite a difference between my Panasonic TCxxxxS1 and his Samsung

On ESPN-HD his tv is A LOT more crisp than my ESPN-HD.

Be both have Time Warner Cable - mine in North Carolina and his in South Carolina.

I have TiVo but he does not. Could that be it??????

TWC had to install some kind of card so we could use the Tivo. Could that be it????

Samsungs do seem to look sharper than Panasonics, but to me that extra sharpness causes artificial looking edges and a somewhat artificial unnatural looking image and they look kinda harsh to me. The Panasonics (like Pioneer) on the other hand look smoother and more natural and i prefer it. Some people on the other hand prefer the extra sharpness of the Samsungs.

By "some kind of card" i presume that's the TWC CableCard (enables your HD Tivo to tune your TWC Digital and HD channels) but that would not have any affect on your picture quality. The TWC channels PQ through your HD Tivo should be virtually indentical to that of the same channels from a TWC HD cable box or HD DVR. I have an HD Tivo S3 alongside a TWC SA8300HD and there is no difference in PQ on the cable channels (i've checked them all).

It's also possible that your TWC affiliate is sending out a "softer" signal than your brother is getting at his house. TWC in my neighborhood is a LOT better than it is in other cities in the area, and mine compresses the signal a lot less than those areas (verified by comparing the file sizes of various HD shows on my Tivo compared to their Tivo). My file sizes are much larger.

Many stations including ESPN-HD broadcast in 720p and look relatively soft compared to channels that broadcast in 1080i. We have seven local broadcast stations here in LA. CBS, NBC, KTLA, and KCAL all broadcast in 1080i, while ABC, FOX, & KCOP are 720p. The 1080i channels are all crisper than the 720p channels on all of my TVs. I see the same thing at other people's houses.

Here's a possible solution though. I've found that by simply setting my HD Tivo and TWC DVR to output all channels at 1080i-only makes all of the 720p channels look crisper and more detailed on all of my various TVs. And i've compared the same recorded scenes of grass and shrubbery and rocks and watch mechanisms etc at both output settings and there is definitely more detail and crispness when i force the DVRs to output at 1080i only as compared to the 720p or pass-through settings. Setting it at 1080i only also results in much quicker channel changing.

Go into your HD Tivo's Output Settings Menu and enable 1080i only and see if you notice an increase in sharpness on ESPN HD, ABC, FOX, Versus, etc.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19557528

Here's a possible solution though. I've found that by simply setting my HD Tivo and TWC DVR to output all channels at 1080i-only makes all of the 720p channels look crisper and more detailed on all of my various TVs. And i've compared the same recorded scenes of grass and shrubbery and rocks and watch mechanisms etc at both output settings and there is definitely more detail and crispness when i force the DVRs to output at 1080i only as compared to the 720p or pass-through settings. Setting it at 1080i only also results in much quicker channel changing.

Go into your HD Tivo's Output Settings Menu and enable 1080i only and see if you notice an increase in sharpness on ESPN HD, ABC, FOX, Versus, etc.

Agreed. I noticed the same results, but didn't think to mention that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted this in another forum but haven't got a response yet.

Obviously I am not tv tech savy (computers yes, tv's no). My husband wants "speakers" and a blue-ray player for x-mas . . . any suggestions?

If I understand correctly, a soundbar is basically the same as surround sound without all the speakers????? We don't need the Memorex effect as depicted in the 1983 commercial.

We do not watch a lot of movies, so just need a basic (but good quality) blue-ray and "surround sound" setup.

Thanks!!!!!

·
23,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogmeg /forum/post/19557615

I posted this in another forum but haven't got a response yet.

Obviously I am not tv tech savy (computers yes, tv's no). My husband wants "speakers" and a blue-ray player for x-mas . . . any suggestions?

If I understand correctly, a soundbar is basically the same as surround sound without all the speakers????? We don't need the Memorex effect as depicted in the 1983 commercial.

We do not watch a lot of movies, so just need a basic (but good quality) blue-ray and "surround sound" setup.

Thanks!!!!!

Well, this forum is dedicated to plasma dislpays. Here's the "Help me pick a blu-ray player" thread in the Blu-ray Player forum (you may want to start at end): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=959985

Here's the Soundbar forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=195

Be prepared for information overload.

larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts