AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a TH-50PZ85U, about six months old. It developed a vertical black bar (i.e. no signal), about 4" wide, right across the middle of the screen. The service place said those dread words, "new panel". Fortunately it is still under warranty so they will fix it for free. Or so they say.

But the thing which freaks me out is that it happened at all. Nowadays these things are supposed to be so dependable, last for 60,000 hours, etc., etc.

I find myself wondering if this could happen again. Or if there is something I should be doing differently -- although certainly I would not have purposefully abused my new toy.

I need soothing words of reassurance. If possible.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Panny is said to have the best service when plasma problems arise. I wouldn't worry at all. It is worrisome if a set breaks down in a few months though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well unfortunately I'm not giving re-assurance. I bought a 58" panasonic in early 2007, and it started to act wierd 10 months later... flashing black levels. In and out of Panny service for two months replacing boards, they threw in the towel and replaced it ( got a pz700). 16 months later, this one is failing too as a discolored vertical rectangle shows up in upper right of the screen. The only thing that keeps me from going Elvis on it is that I got an EW to cover my a$$ for couple more years.

I know that statistics might tell a different story, but I think twice about rolling the dice again on a big plasma.... I'd have to see some compelling long term reliability studies to sway me, and I mean more than examples of panels on 24/7 in airports. Real world longevity, when the unit gets turned on and off 20 times a day. I have a 26" widescreen Toshiba tube TV that's nearly 7 years old, and is under continous reliability testing by children daily... good as new.

I just don't have that same reliability aura of confidence with the plasma. I feel like I'm rolling the dice every time I press power.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/16924152

I'd feel that way too if I had a Panny and powered it on/down.

in comes the peanut gallery

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack8322 /forum/post/16926904

20 times on and off a day??? What do you do, have it connected to a clapper? Why on earth would anyone turn any tv on and off 20 times a day?

I'm exaggerating and a bit of venting as well. My TVs probably get cycled on/off maybe 4-5 times a day (max)... the Tube TV gets it more than the plasma. My point was that most consumers will naturally put more of a stress on the components via poweron.off over a panel than some information screen at an airport thats on 24/7.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneMason /forum/post/16927819

I'm exaggerating and a bit of venting as well. My TVs probably get cycled on/off maybe 4-5 times a day (max)... the Tube TV gets it more than the plasma. My point was that most consumers will naturally put more of a stress on the components via poweron.off over a panel than some information screen at an airport thats on 24/7.

Mine gets turned on/off 4-5 times a day easy. I'm not worried a bit. Shouldn't be a big deal. The stats out there don't lie. It just sucks when it happens to you.

Weird how one bad product can turn a guy off to a brand for life. When your probably just 1 out of a 1000. BUt going through all that trouble is enough to turn you away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow, I have almost the exact same issue on my Pioneer 5020fd. There's a black vertical bar about 3-4 inches wide, except inside the bar it shows some greenish thin line. My set is about 6 months when this happened as well. Set was bought in December and they been servicing about a 3 weeks already.

They're going to fix it up and change the screen according to the service center. Personally I was hoping they would swap the set as...who knows when it'll act funny again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts