AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote the people at paradigm and asked if my avr was enough to drive the speakers (140 watts 2 channels playing) and they suggested that I get a separate amp to drive d the two 100"s. One with at least 200

watts rms. The reason why I am not satisfied is that the highs seem overly harsh which makes music listening difficult for any length of time. I have a fairly large room over 3000 cubic feet with openings to other rooms. My question is are the harsh highs inherent to the speaker or could it be that I'm getting some distortion because of under powering them. dI do like d to listen fairly loudly but not past 0 on the scale.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519897/my-paradigm-100v2-sound-to-bright#post_24409733

could it be that I'm getting some distortion because of under powering them.
It's not impossible, but the difference between 140w and 200w is barely audible. If my system sounds too bright I reduce the high frequency EQ.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then why would the guy at paradigm tell me that I need a separate amp with 200 wats. Is there someone who has had this k problem and fixed it. The music also seems a bit jumbled and not clear

·
Registered
399 Posts
I haven't listened to any Paradigms for nearly ten years so keep that in mind while reading the following. The models I demo'ed closely resembled yours (a bookshelf and a floorstander), both being powered by an @$800 Onkyo receiver. FYI: room was carpeted w/an acoustic ceiling. Using my own music demo CD, to me both sounded rather bright and "clinical". Based on their reputation I was not surprised to hear this. Combine that with the present state of modern recording EQ/level compression/etc choices for a lot of rock/pop music, and IMO many albums will probably sound pretty, well, crappy, being reproduced by such a speaker. OTOH most jazz and classical is still usually recorded/processed very well (including many older albums, all the way back to the early 60s in fact) & should sound good-to-excellent.

Also: I truly believe the differences among peoples' physical hearing systems can heavily(?) contribute to one's speaker preferences i.e. some folks are literally more sensitive to higher frequencies, some to lower bass, etc. So while the Paradigms may be highly accurate sound reproducers, I doubt everyone will prefer them. BTW I own (or more precisely, ownED), Advent speakers from the early 90s, which are generally considered to be on the "warm" side. But to my ears they sounded just right! FYI I think those Andrew Jones-designed Pioneers discussed here so much sound very similar to them. And the one pair of Dynaudios I've auditioned also sounded quite warm to me.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
When my speaker was a bit bright sounding, I changed the speakers to another brand. It sorted it. As said by previous poster source material plays a part. If you play back older records that don't have processed sound, be ok.

Are your floors tiles or do you have carpet?

Unless you have a very bright sounding amplifier, I don't think changing the amp would help, nor would increasing more power.

You could try borrowing a stereo integrated amplifier that is warm sounding just to have play around. I'd borrow a pair of warm sounding speakers.

Basically, try both lol

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
pavteff, the problems you describe seem like they could be a result of the placement of the speakers and listening position, and the room interactions. Are there hard surfaces (windows, wall, floor) the sound could be reflecting off?

Also, experiment with the "toe in" (whether they are aimed at the listening position, or straight ahead). Turning them straight ahead rather than aiming them at the listening position could make a noticeable difference.

And/or a matter of personal preference. Stereophile measured this speaker , it has a flat frequency response, with a small bump in the treble. As suggested, try adjusting the treble on your receiver to suit your preference.

BTW, I'm always amazed people make generalizations about all speakers in a brand over ten years, when even speakers from that brand in the same line and the same year can have very different performance.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519897/my-paradigm-100v2-sound-to-bright#post_24410065

Then why would the guy at paradigm tell me that I need a separate amp with 200 wats.
It's called 'passing the buck'. It's easier to deflect questions about performance issues to elsewhere in the signal chain than to give constructive advice.

Quote:
pavteff, the problems you describe seem like they could be a result of the placement of the speakers and listening position, and the room interactions. Are there hard surfaces (windows, wall, floor) the sound could be reflecting off?

Also, experiment with the "toe in" (whether they are aimed at the listening position, or straight ahead). Turning them straight ahead rather than aiming them at the listening position could make a noticeable difference.

And/or a matter of personal preference. Stereophile measured this speaker, it has a flat frequency response, with a small bump in the treble. As suggested, try adjusting the treble on your receiver to suit your preference.
That is an example of constructive advice. +1.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies. My receiver is an Onkyo TXSR875. Has 140 watts driving front speakers. I will experiment with the treble turned it down somewhat yesterday down 4 dcb. will also try moving my speakers to a more traight on towards the room instead of toed

in. will see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be welcome also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lkBy the way I listen to mostly classical music and it doesn't really matter which cd I play or when it was made they all seem to have the same problem. When I do lidten to jazz or rock the problem isn't as bad. dOrchestral instruments such as the flute and picolo

,violin sond a little metalic. However they have strings which are metal so maybe I'm just imagining it. The brightness is fine when soft passages are played

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
really you think that it is the Onkyo? What if I used it as a pre-amp and ran the speakers with an outside amp

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519897/my-paradigm-100v2-sound-to-bright#post_24414245

really you think that it is the Onkyo? What if I used it as a pre-amp and ran the speakers with an outside amp

If I would bet on the cause, yes. I've heard a couple of AV amplifiers and some are quite brash and harsh sound.

Visit local audio shop and ask to borrow the most softest and warmest amplifier they have. Don't buy anything to replace the Onkyo, just borrow something.

Oh I doubt using a power amplifier would help I think the pre-amp stage effects sound the most, I did pre-power comparison between two makes of Hifi integrated/power amplifiers. Couldn't tell much, if at all with power amplifiers but I did with the pre.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519897/my-paradigm-100v2-sound-to-bright#post_24416268

Has anyone else had this problem with an Onkyo reciever.
If they had the boards would be full of reports of it. I'd rate the chances of your AVR being a problem as slim to none, and Slim just left town.

As to what might be the problem, you have to identify it before you can fix it, and that means measuring your in room response. Otherwise you're just guessing.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519897/my-paradigm-100v2-sound-to-bright#post_24421386

How do you measure room response
Google REW (Room EQ Wizard).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tks . I have decided that I would do somthing about the acoustics in that room because I have A 7 ft grand piano in there also and have always not liked the way the higher notes sound. It would probably help that also

·
Registered
9,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff  /t/1519897/my-paradigm-100v2-sound-to-bright#post_24411198

thanks for all the replies. My receiver is an Onkyo TXSR875. Has 140 watts driving front speakers. I will experiment with the treble turned it down somewhat yesterday down 4 dcb. will also try moving my speakers to a more traight on towards the room instead of toed

in. will see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be welcome also.

The room has a lot to do with it (as was mentioned by a prior poster). Your comment about the sound of piano tells me that you probably have lots of glass (and wood floors?) and very little in the way of sound absorbing furnishings. If room treatments aren't aesthetically possible (rugs, drapes, big overstuffed chairs, etc), then you will be forced to replace your equipment.

Sounds to me like you have bright speakers and the Onkyos are known to produce bright treble, and, as discussed, your room appears to also be bright, so you are hearing the unfortunate result. If it were me, I'd start over, but I am particularly sensitive to bright sound and others would disagree with my preference for silk dome tweeters and Marantz electronics. Ringing metal dome tweeters send me screaming from the room .... but, I digress.

I would look for warmer sounding speakers first, Dynaudio or Vandersteen or Golden Ear, or Mission. if you still aren't happy with the sound, then replace the Onkyo, as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts