AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a high end turntable. Now im doubting that a common thief knows a yorx from a music hall but I thought I would check out the local pawn shop to see what they had in store.

Things didn't look good intially when all they had were cheap plastic belt drive turntables (I want a belt drive, but not one that's silver). I thought if they were cheap enough that I would pick one up in the interum. They were sideways so I couldn't see the brands, I was astonished when I looked at the price labels to see that the prices ranged from $175-$199 for Gemini and Technics turntables! They can be had for MUCH MUCH less than that new! I walked out pretty disgusted.

I know it was crazy to think I would find some hidden bargain on a Rega that the owner was clueless about, but when did pawn shops become rip offs?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I found a Pioneer PL-L1000 Linear Track (same as the Phase Linear 8000) in a Pawn shop about 10 years ago. Not a Planet by any stretch but not too bad for $40-50.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I check out pawn shops a lot.They put a high price tag on them for haggle room. I don`t choose to haggle from close to list price on most things.I walk out to.

I do get a really good deal`s from used electronics store`s. One store I check out had A Adcom GFA 555 200 watt power channel Amp sitting on a shelf next to a Yamaha Pro Logic Receiver. The Yamaha had a $150 price tag on it ,the Adcom had no tag.I walked up to the counter and asked how much for this old thing.

He said he didn't know much about it and it just came in . He had a confused look on his face when he said how about $75.

I said I would pay $70. I was laughing all the way home.

I found my 2nd Adcom GFA 555 at another used store. They new what they had. The price tag was $475. I paid $400.Both Amps work great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I picked up a Pioneer PL-51 direct drive turn table a couple of years ago for 50.00. I was in working at Radio Shack (between jobs) this lady comes in with a receiver, turn table, and speakers. and said she paid 50.00 for the whole set up. She wanted what ever wire was needed to hook the system up,and a new needle and she wanted it all as cheap as possible. I looked up the stylus and gave her the price 75.00 she said its not worth it for one record I then offered her 50.00 for the turntable she hesitated I put 50.00 cash on the counter and she left me the turn table.

I then bought a VR-15 cartridge had the unit aligned and tweeked, and have been enjoying/adding to my vinyl collection ever since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.