AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading these evil studio lawyer stories for a bit now, and here is what I believe would happen should the courts win (by an act of God maybe?) and SonicBlue, Tivo, Ultimate, etc are forced to sell crippled non-commercial skipping boxes or something worse.

If the set top box is rendered useless, PCs will come to the rescue. Right now, PVR software is not nearly as good as that on a real PVR, dropping frames, bad quality, etc. It wouldn't be long before the RTV/TIVO/etc programmers and hackers would be hard at work on a PC PVR that worked, and worked well.

There are already devices for the serial port to add a remote, and there are high quality capture cards. Processors are becoming more and more powerful. For example, my current 1200 Athlon "t-bird" can do time shifting fairly well using the DigitalVCR software that came with my Asus card. Imagine what a 64-bit "Hammer" CPU could do.

They could be just as cheap as a set top PVR too. A motherboard, power supply, capture card, small desktop case, Linux and Athlon CPU of some sort would cost less than today's top-of-the-line PVRs.

Then we'll see DivX shifters and the studio lawyers will be SOL, finally. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
those same people want to do terrible things to personal computers as well. not saying it's going to happen but i recently read about some bill that's in the works which would really hurt the industry.

·
Registered
423 Posts
MHz said,

They could be just as cheap as a set top PVR too. A motherboard, power supply, capture card, small desktop case, Linux and Athlon CPU of some sort would cost less than today's top-of-the-line PVRs.

Musn't ALWAYS be Linux; neither ALWAYS Athlon. Look over your shoulder. There's a Mac person there! They're people too (I'm told)!

Regards,

Warren

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you throw in a 3ware IDE-switch card ($100-$500) you can then also get well over a Terrabyte of space, i.e. 1000+ hrs!!!! They even have hot swap so you could use hard disks as removable storage. With HD's now approaching 1 dollar per Gig that's not such a bad way to go. A heck of a lot easier than fussing with CD/DVD's IMHO.

AT SVLUG last week 3ware were touting their new cards/software with support for drive-arrays that go over 8 TByte!!! Ok, so is 8000+ hours of online content per system enough?

http://www.micropace.com/Products/3WR/7000series.htm

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MHz
...Then we'll see DivX shifters and the studio lawyers will be SOL, finally. Thoughts anyone?
Yep and there's going to be a lot of other things to come too. Better embrace the future than try to fight it. They'll never stop it.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WarrenJ

They're people too (I'm told)!
You've been misinformed, they're Soylent Green:D :D :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, ok, I overlooked Mac users. But Macs can run Linux too, can't they? Any standalone PC_PVR should be Linux based so there are no hardware/licensing restrictions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.