AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am afraid not,In China there is no such thing that I call the agent and they will go to my site to demo, I think I only can compare some projectors according to my feeling, as I saw them before.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Harry, I have some questions:

1) Which projectors have you seen already, and when ?

2) Are you sensitive to DLP rainbows ?

3) Can you control the ambient light in your HT room ?

4) What is the size of the picture you want from the piano ?

and at what distance from it do you plan to sit ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Pianos I saw at the Plus main showroom in Tokyo did not seem to have any rainbow effect. The Yamaha (DPX-1?) on the other hand did.

good luck with the plus..... from whatr ive seen of them they are great.

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jones:

1) I have seen Mitsubishi SA51, Epson 50, NEC440 in last 3 weeks,

2) I can not find rainbow when I saw the DEMO of Piano. but I am not sure if I am sensitive ^-^

3) For the ambient light, of course I am planning to get it well controlled, I use my living room as my HT, it is still in renovation.

4) The PIC size, I am planning use 86" diagonal 4:3, and sit 13 feet away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh...

I forget to say that I have also seen the demo of CTX projectors, both LCD and DLP, and when I watched the DEMO of Piano, there was a PLUS U3-880 in DEMO beside and I think Piano is much better than it as a projector of HT purpose.

In my opinion, all those LCD projectors I have seen are disappointed, I am not satisfied with their video performance. I do not know why, maybe the vendor did not adjust them in best status.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a very good article about the comparison of SHARP-Z9000 and Piano on a Japanese site, some very nice person translate it into English:

For after a long time the foam/home theater the projector was announced from the SHARP.

Until now, the manufacturer which has been sold with " sharp of the liquid crystal " at speed of the change body which cannot be thought, it is optimum to the foam/home theater and it is the real projector which adopts " DLP system ".

Also model number, is suitable in the superlative model, " XV - Z9000 ".

After the YAMAHA selling the projector of " DLP system ", in the ‰â " the DLP " it started you making a noise in the foam/home theater, but at the superb article mansion " from before the 2 years above as for the projector the DLP " has been nominated already .

The critic people of society, please study more!

Snuzzles at just the manufacturer which gives the money if it waits slowly the critic, such a ones, it is unnecessary!

Worldwide first 1,280~720 dot DMD on-board DLP projector -.

Domestic beginning and high contrast ratio 1100 of industry one: It achieves 1.

Catalog specifications

Projection debye / aspect Resolution Brightness Contrast ratio A-weighted sound pressure level

SHARP XV-Z9000 0.8 inch DMD/16: 9 1280~720pixels 800ANSI 1100: 1 32dcBa

YAMAHA DPX-1 0.9 inch DMD/4: 3 1024~768pixels 800ANSI 900: 1 30dcBa

SONY VPL-VW11HT 1.35 inch LCD/16: 9 1366~768pixels 1000ANSI Secret 30dcBa

PLUS Piano 0.67 inch DMD/4: 3 848~600 450ANSI 700: 1 32dcBa

The fact that this time it tests brief was loaned " image of prototype " is from the manufacturer as a viewing machine.

Image of the product, perhaps, there are times when it differs a little, but acknowledgement.

As for substance operation, it is while panel covering. Being the color difference cable, you use various input terminals and the audition machine.

SHARP proud lens shift. This time it is not to move the lens up and down, you adjust with the prism in. The back light equipped remote control which is indispensable to the theater projector.

Picture quality comparison

You tried comparing with the Piano of the same DLP system.

Picture of PLUS Piano Picture of SHARP XV-Z9000

" Brightness of the picture / it can perceive the difference of the ANSI lumen " of the both projectors.

Title letter does the XV-Z9000 where the dot is small as expected clearly.

The Piano of the PLUS the blueness applying a little, it appeared, but it was not really felt in such manner.

As for the XV-Z9000 as for picture quality adjustment it is unadjusted state.

As for the XV-Z9000 fineness of the dot living, detail has been reproduced sharply.

Height of this resolution is the proof to which efficiency of the rise scan converter which is built in is superior.

It is built in, the IC of the high performance where also the line doubler corresponds to 2 - 3 pull-downs is used, plainness is held down low in the fog being attached and color with animated picture, does not make the necessity of the external line doubler feel particularly.

Doing the color tone integral, it adjusted both color balance.

Because of the same DLP system, it was possible to adjust to the color tone of the same tendency.

It is the eye whose color of the Piano is dense a little.

At contrast ratio it is the place where it is not understood, but as for the Piano the color paste is superior truly.

As for the dark scene, it is bright because of the difference of thickness of sheath color tone of the projector itself, the XV-Z9000 was brightly reproduced.

The picture above the Piano reappears symmetrically brightly vividly. As recognized even from the picture, color reproducibility of the Piano (beige) it can perceive the height of chart insight well.

At screen size to 80 inches, as for difference of the resolution impression due to the fineness of the dot almost it does not become matter of concern.

It is difficult to know, is, but as for reappearance of the sky of the back there is a place where the XV-Z9000 is fine.

If high vision is projected to the screen of 100 inches or more, big difference appears, probably will be.

Thought of viewing

Here was good!

In connection with schedule of XV - Z9000, it could not view long time, but because the SHARP which has the result with the liquid crystal projector makes, you could verify the picture quality of according to expectation.

As for SHARP proud lens shift healthy, as for consideration to the optical keystone which it does not have an influence on picture quality in comparison with digital system it is charm. Also the summary indicatory functional menu picture being unprecedented, you understood and to be easy it was convenient.

For the worldwide beginning and DMD panel use of the wide XGA it may show the efficiency with digital high vision playback, is.

Here is different from the YAMAHA!

The difference with the DPX-1 of the YAMAHA size of the Æ’`?Æ’cÆ’L reduction improvement effect due to the turning at full speed conversion of the color filter which is adopted from the Piano is. Especially, the difference appears largely with the monochrome scene.

It could not compare picture quality directly, but stuffing the detail seems that the YAMAHA surpasses. But, that seems that it becomes big cause the ZV which this time is offered to the test - for the X9000 to be prototype.

The day projector was brought, at this point in time we have understood also the technical position of the SHARP, being to mean boiling down securely to product sale, you will expect!

Here is different from the SONY!

Either the VPL-VW11HT of the SONY could not do direct comparison, but when good quality of the color paste of DLP system and depth of color, depth of depth, at you have looked one time rich picture of gradation with cinema like, by any means in coloration of liquid crystal system the limit not feeling, you cannot be.

Because also the SHARP comes putting out DLP system recognized the good quality it is not different.

But, the VPL-VW11HT when price (actual sale) the fact that it is cheaper than DLP system of the XGA model being rescue, the brand of the SONY the beam is strong quickly, is popularity.

Conclusion!

If at screen size to 80 inches, the opportunities which look at the high vision of the full specifications are few, picture quality, price and total balance, size it is small, the Piano surpasses in all respects.

That much, the Piano makes good.

In addition, as for the superb article mansion as the speciality store where the advanced characteristic is observed, development stage of the product and being required the opinion of the last boiling down from the manufacturer are many, the SHARP and the PLUS - also technical position of the VISION is a deep friendship with that as an opportunity, but the PLUS which from the among those is felt - the softness of system of the VISION with good quality of small turn is reflected by the product, from in " it is familiar in us and it seems that is finished the product which it is easy to use ".

In comparison with the steady SHARP, conception being rich, it is the place such as the funny Piano. If it compares to the personal computer, the SHARP the DOS / V and the PLUS - points the VISION, and ‚¸ ‚ß Macintosh (the apple) with it probably is the place where you said?

But, screen size exceeds 100 inches when and, if high vision of the full specifications will be projected distantly to think, as expected with the Piano there is an excessiveness. There, whether the based * specifications surpasses, (price 3 times!) It is proper for the SHARP to be clean.

Thinking of the balance of the enthusiasm and the cost which it puts on the customer himself foam/home theater, if you choose which of these two products, it is the expectation which as for absoluteness regret it does not do to selection of the projector!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Wow, I've read french articles which were easier to understand. If I got the reviewer right, I think he say that as long as you have a smaller than 80" screen (I think he mean diagonal) the Plus Piano is an absolute better buy than the SHARP XV-Z9000 in most respects. When going 100" or larger, the Piano start to show its limitations (brightness/resolution).

It's too early to say if the Piano is really THAT good. But it does look very promising according to this comparison.

For me, If the Piano can match the LT150 regarding picture quality, and at the same time reduce rainbows and noise to an acceptable level, all at a very low price, it's a big winner for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah,Jones:

I believe you got that right.

But I think the piano is a projector for DVD only, it does not support HDTV, so if you can buy NEC LT150 around USD2500, I do not think piano is your first choise, I am not sure where are you because you said French is easier for you, France? Canada or somewhere else?

For me, Piano is my No.1 choise because in China, Even the quotation of NEC LT85 is USD4000.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Actually, I've only learned french for about two years back in high school.

I don't care for HDTV, since it will take at least 5 years until it will be widely spread in Europe, by then, I'll probably sell the pj and buy a newer one.

The only thing that worries me about the Piano is its inability to display XGA. I can't stand for visible scan lines in the picture. It ruins the whole experience for me. 848x600 might not cut it for a 2:1 ratio between screen size and sitting distance.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
hello, i like to tell you some of my experience i made in the last few weeks with the piano. i know the plus vision people very well and so i got one production unit for testing and presentation. this machine ist fantastic. for me comes a dream true. unbelievable silent from noise level ( i have a mini dv / svideo combination player from jvc in my studio - this fan is louder!!!), big big difference from noise level to the nec 150 / plus u 3 series. no light output outside the machine - the plus people are using the scirocco technic from mitsubishi / the yamaha dlp too.

the piano is, and this is realy fantastic, using the sil 503 pure progressive chip fron www.siimage.com. in combination withe the fantastic dlp enginge of plus this is a fantastic image quality. we had the chance to give production samples to 2 very famous and competent people from the press and they are also very impressed. (peter finzel und udo ratai) the price idea is round about incl. 16 % german vat 3.500 euro. available from october in germany. rainbow effect??? nearly nothing - plus is using the rgbrgb colour wheel. the same like the seleco 200 dm and the yamaha.

here you can find some more images of the plus.
http://grobi.tv/scripts/index.cfm/Fu...Details/ID/361
http://grobi.tv/scripts/index.cfm/Fu...Details/ID/362

best regards

------------------

Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
chappie, some questions regarding the piano:

1) How is the screen door effect ?, at what ratio (screen

size/distance) can you start noticing the scan lines ?

2) How good are the black levels ?, are there any improvements over the current DLP generation ?

3) How is the shadow detail ?

4) How accurate is the color reproduction ?, At the review above, the reviewer felt that the image was a bit blue'ish, what do you have to say about that ?.

5) Can you describe the room that you tested the Piano in ?

does it have complete ambient light control ?

6) Which screen have you used, and what is its gain ?

7) Do you feel that the image is bright enough ?

8) Have you compared the Piano to other projectors ?, if so, to which, and what are you thoughts ?

9) which source have you used too feed the Piano, and what was the connection type ?

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Here is a photographed comparison between the Plus Piano and the Sanyo LP-A7: http://www.mmjp.or.jp/ippinkan/piano...s/A7_piano.htm

(Use babelfish to translate the page)

According to these pictures, I am a bit disappointed with the Piano. It's colors seem a bit washed out, the shadow detail is good but not good enough. The worst part, the Piano seem to give a very soft image. The image is practically blurred. Look at the picture with the man laying on the road, look at how blurred his face look in comparison to the Sanyo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
dear jones, i know the sanyo lp 07 very very well, i sell this projector since last november in germany very succesfull. this projector is here known as plv 30. a fantastic machine.

Originally posted by Jones_Rush:

chappie, some questions regarding the piano:

1) How is the screen door effect ?, at what ratio (screen

size/distance) can you start noticing the scan lines ?

i see know screen door effect. we are using a 16 : 9 dalite screen with a gain of 1,2 and 2,40 m width.

2) How good are the black levels ?, are there any improvements over the current DLP generation ?

yes of course. you must take a look with your own eyes.

3) How is the shadow detail ?

fantastic, details with no noise in the colours. sharp and stabil images.

4) How accurate is the color reproduction ?, At the review above, the reviewer felt that the image was a bit blue'ish, what do you have to say about that ?.

please don`t use the photos to make your final opinion. you can adjust a lot of colour functions on the piano. believe, me the colours are very accurat and realistic.

5) Can you describe the room that you tested the Piano in ?

does it have complete ambient light control ?

we habe a studio, which is complete dark. but we can use the piano also when indirect lights are on. the brightness is enough, there is no difference to the sanyo.

6) Which screen have you used, and what is its gain ?

see first answer.

7) Do you feel that the image is bright enough ?

yes.

8) Have you compared the Piano to other projectors ?, if so, to which, and what are you thoughts ?

to a lot. plv 60, u 3, sanyo plv 30, davis. the piano is for me in the moment the most powerfull projector for the ht market. specially if you see the priceperformance.

9) which source have you used too feed the Piano, and what was the connection type ?

we are using here the denon dvd 2800 with svideo and component and we are using here an analog tv tuner.

best regards,

patrick schappert

------------------

Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv

·
Registered
350 Posts
How much us the Piano in China? Is the Sanyo XP21N available there too? How much?

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi, Walter

Plus did not sell the piano to China, mine is a special case due to the business promotion, I was told so far only two piano in China, and recently you can not buy piano through the normal channel here.

Piano in China is about USD 3200, Sanyo XP21N is available now, I do not know the price, but I know the price of XP18N, it is about USD 4200 here, I prefer 18N because its Spec is similar with the 21N and only the difference is 21N is 2700ANSI and 18N is 2400, I believe for HT usage, 2400 is better.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
chappie, Thanks for all the answers.

You said that you use a screen of 2.40m width, and see no screen door effect. What is the distance from your sitting position to the screen ?. Also, at what distance from your screen do you start noticing the screen door effect ?.

Have you had the chance to see or compare the Piano to the Seleco HT200DM ?.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Harry,

When do you expect to get the Piano? Next week?

Make sure you update us here as soon as you've had time to play around with it a little!

Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.