AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently repaired a Panasonic CT-36HL43 tv(bad power supply, I have only had the TV for 4 months. My mom replaced it when the PS went out) and when I hooked it up to my DTV R15, I am noticing that the picture is bigger than the viewing area. It is noticeable most when the local news or CNN has a ticker at the bottom, or there is text on one side of the screen, it gets cut off. It does NOT matter if the R15 is set for 4:3, or 16:9 output(this screen is wider than it is tall, but not like a true 16:9). What gives? The R15 is hooked up directly to the TV using S video, as the R15 does not have component out. Please help, it is really annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
You my friend are dealing with what's known as overscan. It's typical of CRT sets, though it sounds like this may be a pretty bad case of it. In order to fix, you'll have to get into the service menu. I wouldn't go mucking around in that without some caution, though. Messing with those settings could get risky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a service call for that would run what? A whole lot cheaper than buying a new set? I mean sure, a phat new LCD would be awesome, but not right now, I got a tranny to work on... How would I get into such a menu anyhow? My owners guide certainly doesn't tell me how...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr /forum/post/15590156


So a service call for that would run what? A whole lot cheaper than buying a new set? I mean sure, a phat new LCD would be awesome, but not right now, I got a tranny to work on... How would I get into such a menu anyhow? My owners guide certainly doesn't tell me how...

Have you searched the old Panasonic threads on this forum?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I searched, and all I can find is something saying that the TVmenu, and the Service menu you referenced are the same? I can't find ANY possible way of changing the size, shape, or much else about the picture except the crap the owners manual talks about(color, color temp, vivid, etc...) I think I'm just going to call a mobile service tech to come out, and look at this for me. I'm lost. Unless you know something I don't...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
If you're not familiar with the service menu and you can't find a really comprehensive guide to it, then your best bet is to steer clear of it. If you can find a television calibrator that is willing to do it on the cheap then try that. otherwise, I'd consider putting up with it because messing with the service menu can cause some damage if not done right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best Buy wants $250 to calibrate
. Now granted that is way less than buying a new tv, but I can't believe that it take 5hrs($50 an hour shop rate assumed) to do this. Even accounting for a higher shop rate, and heinous cost for fuel(which is cheap for now) I find it very hard to believ it is that pricey. So how do I get to this calibration menu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
Try finding a service manual (schematicsforfree.com, servicemanuals.net manualsparadise.com has it 19.95 download) or google. If you repaired the TV, you should have no problem with service menus once you have the information. H and V size need adjustment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Just get a 30 something inch Sony TV off of Craigslist. You can probably find one for free, but definitely for 25-50 dollars. You can probably talk someone down to 20, all they really want to do is get the beast out of their house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTFTW  /t/1110066/my-picture-is-bigger-than-my-screen#post_22818144


Just get a 30 something inch Sony TV off of Craigslist. You can probably find one for free, but definitely for 25-50 dollars. You can probably talk someone down to 20, all they really want to do is get the beast out of their house.

Yeah, trade one 300lb beast for another, methinks not...


I continue to live with this issue, and have noticed that it exists also on my Samsung flat panel as well, especially when a laptop is connected...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr  /t/1110066/my-picture-is-bigger-than-my-screen#post_15587215


I recently repaired a Panasonic CT-36HL43 tv(bad power supply, I have only had the TV for 4 months. My mom replaced it when the PS went out) and when I hooked it up to my DTV R15, I am noticing that the picture is bigger than the viewing area. It is noticeable most when the local news or CNN has a ticker at the bottom, or there is text on one side of the screen, it gets cut off. It does NOT matter if the R15 is set for 4:3, or 16:9 output(this screen is wider than it is tall, but not like a true 16:9). What gives? The R15 is hooked up directly to the TV using S video, as the R15 does not have component out. Please help, it is really annoying.

I don't know what you're sourcing it with but that sounds like what a DTV converter box does (and who knows with certain settings of a cable box, etc. ("CNN")). Have you tried sourcing it with something else like a DVD player?


Edit: Der, I missed the DTV R15 part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DTV is gone. I have overscan with my converter box(I think), and I know I have it with the laptop. Set up as of today is:


TV(no change)

Pioneer VSX 1020K sending signal to TV and running sound, signal to TV is thru the HDCP DVI port on TV with an HDMI adapter in between receiver and tv(just one of those adapters that allows the HDMI to plug into the DVI)

Laptop is Alienware MX14R2, Core i7 at 3.2Ghz max, Intel HD graphics switchable to Nvidia GT650m with 2gb, laptop has 6gb ram

Sony upconverting 5 disc DVD p[layer(can't remember model)


All sources seem to overscan, with the exception of the live stream from my local news thru laptop(I think, have to look at it again)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr  /t/1110066/my-picture-is-bigger-than-my-screen#post_15587215


I recently repaired a Panasonic CT-36HL43 tv(bad power supply,
The cause of this (excessive?) overscan is probably due to the fact that you "repaired" the power supply.

You typically have to perform adjustments, maybe even a complete realignment, when repairing or replacing major components, especially the HV power supply or picture tube..


The Service Menu is for touch-up adjustments that should only be used after the mechanical/manual adjustments are completed.


But 10 to 15% overscan is typical for CRT TVs. You cannot and should not try to eliminate the overscan as if this TV was a computer monitor. CRT computer monitors are designed to underscan the image. CRT TVs are designed to overscan the image. (For some reason even flat-panel TVs will overscan, although there is often a setting to "just fit" the image.)


Since your laptop has a nVidia GPU, the nVidia Control Panel can shrink the image to compensate for the overscan (although there will be a slight loss of PQ due to the scaling). And a few (badly coded) popup windows will not properly scale their text.


Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,896 Posts
Might try the DVD direct to rule out the Pioneer VSX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Can someone help me here riddledtv.com/forums/panasonic-crt-tx-29ps12p-slight-overscan-t3631.html

What to "touch" and what not to touch. Are there "best" values for the parameters?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top