AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to start off by saying that I am not as technical as some of the folks here but I am not the “Average Joe” when it comes PQ (I am fairly picky).

I had the Samsung 5054 since last April. I noticed that it has some pink issue when displaying white. Basically when watching something like Ice hockey or snow boarding or a movie with white/off white skies, I would notice that about 5 inches in from both sides of the TV (all the way to the center has some slight pink when it should have been displaying white/offwhite). I had a BB extended warranty and had them come out to look at it. Long story short, after dealing with Bestbuy customer service, Samsung techs and a very helpful manager at my local BB, I was able to get them to do a “Junk Out”. I originally paid 2015.00 for the Samsung back in April so I was able to use those funds now to upgrade to the Pioneer 5080, since it was on sale that week. I paid another 270.00 for another extended warranty for the Pioneer 5080.

I picked up the 5080 this past Saturday and now have about ~20 hours on it. I did not do the break in procedure but I did use D-Nice’s reference settings and tweaked it a tad (by eye) to my own preference. I also refrained from watching any letter box movies for the first 15hours and stretch all of my standard cable to fill the screen. I have Not noticed any Buzzing, Streaks, dead/stuck pixels and blotchiness at all and I am fairly picky. Also wanted to note that I sit 8ft away from my display.

Ok…Lets get down to the comparison.

OUT OF THE BOX COMPARISON:

First thing I noticed after taking down the Samsung 5054 from my Z-Line Phantom 50 stand and mounting the Pioneer was that the 5080 seemed lighter. Other than that, they both (5054 and 5080) was pleasing to look at.

SOUND:

I know most people including myself utilize a Home Theater for movie watching. I do to but I only use it when watching movies or playing games. I do not use my HT for normal cable watching. I noticed the Pioneer speaker sounds much better and clearer than the Samsung. By comparison, it made the Samsung sound as if some wrapped a blanket over the speaker (it was muddely compared to the Pioneer).

ANTI-GLARE:

I am not sure if the 5054 had an Anti-Glare screen but if it did, it did not do anything in terms of reducing glare/reflections. The 5080 is better in terms Anti-Glare. Even though, glare is less distracting on the Pioneer, it’s still not the level of a good LCD.

SHORT TERM IR:

I noticed that the Samsung would have some short term Image Retention when watching movies. For example if I watched a wide screen movie with black bars (2.40:1) I would notice that the Samsung would retain those bars for about 2 minutes or so after the movie was over. The Pioneer does not do this at all. This was something that I expected with the Samsung and was not a big deal to me because I read that most plasma do this but it did bug the wife.

PICTURE QUALITY:

I always read have seen at my local BB that Pioneer Kuros have way better black levels. I have to say that this much more apparent when you bring it home and view movies in a dark room. Before I had the Pioneer in my house, I thought the Sammy 5054 was good at black levels but after the Pioneer, I now think that Sammy is only decent in black levels. To me the Pioneer is definitely in another class in terms of black levels and this does really REALLY make a difference when it comes to movies, games and etc. It seems that colors pop more and have a more realistic look.

Sharpness:

I feel that both sets are pretty good in terms of sharpness. I felt that the Samsung seems slightly better on sharpness at times but at other times, it made the picture seem unnatural. The Pioneer seemed to be a tad bit softer but it does look more natural all the time.

Artifacting, Macro Blocking and False Contouring:

Here’s where the Pioneer really shines again. For months, I have noticed that the Samsung was somewhat distracting with certain movies and cable. There were at times a lot of artifacting, sometimes macro blocking and false contouring. I tried different settings (like Zippy’s settings) and it did help minimize some of this but it was still (at times) very apparent to me. These 3 issues are some of my biggest pet peeves. I noticed on certain scenes of particular movies that there was some false contouring going on. This is not limited to SD DVDS only. I use the Ps3 as my Blu Ray player and have the A2 as my HD DVD player. I would notice false contouring, at times some minor macro blocking, and other artifacting when using the 5054. Now that I have the Pioneer 5080, I played some of these same movies in HD DVD and SD DVD and noticed the majority of the False Contouring is gone. Some Standard DVDs do have a little bit of this on the 5080 but I have to really REALLY look hard for it but its no where near as bad or apparent as it was on the Samsung. Macro blocking is pretty much gone too. For me this was as important (if not more important) as having deeper black levels.

SD-DVD and Standard Cable:

Both Standard DVD and Standard Cable now look much better because of the better black levels and lack or less False Contouring and Marco Blocking. I have noticed that some CG Animated DVDs such as Shark Tales and Madagascar look like its High Def quality on the Pioneer. On the Samsung, you could tell you were watching a SD-DVD.

High Def and Blu Ray:

Again, both look better to me now because better black levels and the lack of false contouring, macro blocking and etc.

FEATURES

Both of these sets have a lot of features and input. One thing about the Samsung that I miss is that if you are only using 2 inputs, say inputs 2 and input 6, I can toggle back and forth by using universal remote. Basically all inputs that are not being utilized are not displayed. I liked that you did not have to go through all the inputs to get to the one you need. Unless you use the Pioneer remote, you have to go through all of the inputs to get to your desired input. This is not a big deal but just a feature that me and the wife both miss. Maybe I will just use an extra button on the universal remote to learn the inputs I need.

MY OVERALL RATING

If I had to rate the both sets from a scale from 1-10 (10 being best). I rate the Samsung 5054 a 6.75 and I would rate the Pioneer 5080 a 9.25. I would probably add another .25 to the Sammy if I did not have that pink issue. And I did not give the Pioneer a perfect 10 because other sets may be coming out in the future that may be better in some ways. Plus this is not a 1080P set. Having owned some Sony 36inch CRTS both Standard and a High Def Model along with a other Rear Projection Pioneer CRT and some other TVs, I have to say the Pioneer 5080 is the best TV I have ever had.

I did not choose a 1080P set because I feel better PQ comes more from black levels, colors and processing. In addition, I feel that the extra cost of the Pioneer 1080P set is not worth it for my needs and budget.

I wanted to close this by thanking D-Nice for his settings and a BIG THANK YOU to both BRENTSG and E-A-G-L-E-S. Brent and Eagles were the two folks that really gave me the feedback I needed to make the Pioneer plunge and I am very happy I did.

Thx,

Claude

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I'm glad you enjoy it. I was more than happy to answer any and all questions you had. I am by no means an expert either but I do have a discernable eye.

With a budget max of $2K-$2500 there is really no other choice - imo.(unless you do more watching in the daytime than night 'and' have a 'very' bright room, but who does?)

Amazing how one companies' 768p set could be so much better than everyone else's.

Good write up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
wow! can the pioneer's do no wrong? haha I also exchanged my samsung 71 series lcd for a Pioneer 4280 and have nothing but praise for my new plasma
The only bad thing is I have trouble pulling myself away from my tv to do other things...oh well bring on the movies!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Still getting my 5080 JUST right, but eh, there's no way to make it look as awful as the HP-S4263 and HP-T4264's that have been in it's place, you'll see a lot of responses from ownes of OTHER THAN kuros saying how much they're not worth it, but all of us who've had competing sets... we already know who's king

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
How much longer do you think the current gen Pioneer sets will be available for purchase? I would like to pick up a 5080 but I will have nowhere to put it for a few months. If I wait I don't think I will be able to afford the new 1080p only sets.

·
Registered
337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy /forum/post/12890217

Still getting my 5080 JUST right, but eh, there's no way to make it look as awful as the HP-S4263 and HP-T4264's that have been in it's place, you'll see a lot of responses from ownes of OTHER THAN kuros saying how much they're not worth it, but all of us who've had competing sets... we already know who's king

I have said my thoughts on the Panasonic sets and though I feel the Samsung is the better set than the 2007 series Panasonic consumer sets, the Pioneer make both look poor. I opted not to buy anything for now until I can afford the Pioneer or am looking into doing an HTPC system using the Panasonic "commercial" set if I can find the commercial set at a reasonable enough price to make it worth it. In other words, at say, $1200-$1500, it's not worth it, but if I can land one for $800 range, I'll use it over the Kuro and tweek it with my PC since it is my home theater/ala high-end two channel system's digital room correction system.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Love the short evaluation. I am glad that you like the 5080HD. This evaluation will help many people make an easier decision.

Chris

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I added the Features category to comparison. Hope this does help someone who is thinking about upgrading to the Pioneer. At the current prices, its definetly a must!!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Putting aside the fact that your comparison of the kuro 5080 was with Sammy's 5054, 2 levels below their top 50", I would still advise buyers to let their own eyes decide what has the best PQ.

It seems the kuro fans spend a lot of time trying to convince themselves and others that theirs is best by going after other brands, usually Samsung. It's OK. As a Yankee fan I know what it's like when lesser competition go after you.

I recommend.potential buyers avoid the kool-aid and let your own eyes and mind convince you

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have had the 5080 TV for over a week now and probably put another 30 something hours on it (~50 hours in total).

I cant say enough about the 5080. Me and the wife always watch at least 1 movie every night and even she notices how the black levels look better. As a matter of fact, she said something the other day while we were watching a 2.40 widesceen movie in our very dark living room. She asked me "How come this movie has black bars on the top and bottom but also the sides?" I told her it does not it, she replied that it did. I turned the lights on and showed her there were no black bars on the side. She actually thought that the 5080 left and right sides bezels/frame was actually black bars from the movie. Kinda shows how great the black levels are on the 5080 when letter box bars starts blending with the frame.

Also, I have tried another 10 or more movies which Clearly showed macroblocking and or False contouring on the Samsung 5054. MOST of the times, the 5080 does not show these same issues on the same scenes at all. The VERY FEW times that there may be some macroblocking and or some false contouring is so slight that I have to get up out of my chair and go within 4-5ft of the TV to even see it. Otherwise, I would never notice it. A true testament to Pioneers processing. Again this was something that always distracted me from some of my movie enjoyment but now I can just focus on the movie and really enjoy it and I am still getting WOWed by PQ and better black levels.

I understand that the Pioneer 5080 is about ~700.00 more than the 5054 but I still feel its well worth the difference and my original review/comparison factored that in with my rating.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/12899054

Putting aside the fact that your comparison of the kuro 5080 was with Sammy's 5054, 2 levels below their top 50", I would still advise buyers to let their own eyes decide what has the best PQ.

It seems the kuro fans spend a lot of time trying to convince themselves and others that theirs is best by going after other brands, usually Samsung. It's OK. As a Yankee fan I know what it's like when lesser competition go after you.

I recommend.potential buyers avoid the kool-aid and let your own eyes and mind convince you

The dude had a 5054, which he wanted to like. He did much research to locate a product that addressed the issues which bothered him with the display that didn't meet his needs.

He replaced his display, and was happy enough to post a detailed comparison for others that might be in the same situation. I think that fits in well with the purpose of these forums.

You have the balls to accuse him of trying to convince himself his display is best, of drinking kool-aid, and of going after your Samsung. Obviously the OP wanted to like his Samsung or he wouldn't have purchased it first. Not to mention that he wanted a 50" 768p plasma, so yes it's a valid comparison.

Are you proposing the the OP refrain from posting his personal experiences for others to read, since they don't fit in with your agenda?

I would agree that people need to let their eyes determine what they prefer, but when you troll Pioneer threads you need to be more selective.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i returned my 5054 for the samsung 5084 and im beyond happy. i played with all the pioneers and such also but i thought the 5084 was the better sets out of the pioneer 5080 and pretty much all the panasonics they had on display.

im still very satisfied with my saumsung 5084 1080p as i was the day i bought it. no issues no burn problems just a overall great set.

if im not mistaken i think the 5084 was the top of the line set for samsung but now i think the 63 inch is but the 50 inch,58 inch,63 inch are all the same besides screen size i think maybe difference in contrast ratios but all the models are on the front of the manual.

·
Registered
325 Posts
let me add i do not think the 5080 is trash. i think its a great set but i think the 5084 is a better set. i ws however dissapointed with the 5054. it had a great picture that popped but it had dancing green pixels and significant IR issues.

so the 5084 eliminated all them problems and is a great set.

i say if your looking for a 768p set id go with the pioneer,unless u get a good 5054.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg /forum/post/12949954

The dude had a 5054, which he wanted to like. He did much research to locate a product that addressed the issues which bothered him with the display that didn't meet his needs.

He replaced his display, and was happy enough to post a detailed comparison for others that might be in the same situation. I think that fits in well with the purpose of these forums.

You have the balls to accuse him of trying to convince himself his display is best, of drinking kool-aid, and of going after your Samsung. Obviously the OP wanted to like his Samsung or he wouldn't have purchased it first. Not to mention that he wanted a 50" 768p plasma, so yes it's a valid comparison.

Are you proposing the the OP refrain from posting his personal experiences for others to read, since they don't fit in with your agenda?

I would agree that people need to let their eyes determine what they prefer, but when you troll Pioneer threads you need to be more selective.

So I guess every thread is a Pioneer thread. If I'm not mistaken, the title of this thread included Sammy. But using your logic, the very fact that Pioneer is mentioned makes it a Pioneer thread.

I believe we still have some free speech in this country and I am using mine. The fact that you disagree with my opinion is something you'll have to come to terms with. Ciao

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg /forum/post/12949954

I could not have said this any better!

I did actually spend time asking questions. Brent and Eagles were the two folks that were the most helpful that both owned a Samsung and went to Pioneer. I decided to get the Pioneer after thier recomendations and did "let my own eyes decide". The Pioneer was Clearly better and I wanted to post my comparisons/review here so others that may be thinking of upgrading or trying out the Pioneer would hopefully find this thread helpful....Just as I have found Brent and Eagles comparisons very helpful. Thats what I was trying to do (like most folks on this forum) is be helpful! Not dishing out Kool Aid or whatever...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts