AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm itching for a newer display simply because I love technological advances and everything audio/video. However, I will never part with my trusty pio until she's too dead to fix for a reasonable price.

My wife, two and a half year old and I watched Wall-E tonight using an outdated Denon 2200 as my source component, and it was still a joy! In fact, my wife and I watch probably an average of 2 movies a week on the set, and it has never let me down. (That is after the final 'fix' for the green bars of death about 4 years ago.) I keep the convergence in tune and calibrate it yearly and it just keeps on tickin'.

Anyway, just thought I'd post a quick thread about the last of Pioneer's rear projection display series. I was looking forward to replacing her with a superior Pioneer Kuro, but it looks like she'll keep on going long after the remaining stock has been sold off.

Guess I'll see what Panasonic has to offer in 70 inch Oled's once my 530 has finally given up the ghost.

In the meantime, I look forward to adding an Oppo BDP-83 to my system in the next month or two. I'm hoping that breathes new life in to an already wonderful system.........

Have a great audio video night, and thanks for reading!

Regards,

James

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in pretty much the same position as you, I have a Pioneer SD643-HD5 65" projection (2001 vintage) and the picture still looks terrific. My next move will be to a projector though.

Just out of curiosity, what do you use to calibrate it?

Fran

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fran,

I have both the Avia DVD and Video Essentials DVD. The last time I calibrated with the Video Essentials.

Once I acquire the Oppo, I'll recalibrate for that player using a newer HD disc, but I'm not sure which one.

Other than the disc, I adjust the convergence every few months. It's usually not far off, but there is always room for improvement.

Like you, I will be getting a projector once I finish my HT room above the garage, but I haven't even started on that yet. The Pioneer is in a family room where we watch movies for now. I still want a newer display for the family room once the Pioneer is gone, but projection is the way to go for a dedicated HT room. (Stewart, Da-lite, Draper or the bargain Elite brand......that is the question.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts