AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been viewing/reading/researching using this forum for awhile now and since I bought a house last May I have been dreaming about having my own CIH setup. This to me, is the best forum with great and professional members. Let me first thank this forum and the people that built it to what it is today and got me here.

Secondly, let me start by listing the equipment that I am 99% leaning towards:

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE4000U

Anamorphic Lens: Panamorph A480SYS

Screen: 2.35 112" Carada Criterian Screen

- Viewing Surface: 103.1" W x 43.9" H

- Outside Frame: 109.7" W x 50.5" H

Audio: 5.1 Audio System (not shown)

- Front Speakers: 2x Mirage OMD15

- Center Speaker: Mirage OMD C1

- Surround Speakers: 2x Mirage OMD5

- Sub: Mirage OMD Prestige S10

Receiver

- Denon AVR-1910

I have attached a picture (isometric) layout of the room (full light controlled) to give you a rough idea. Each box is around ~10", so things are rounded by +/-0.5" compared to reality (but good enough for now).

The projector position was calculated using the online "Projector Pro Calculator" from Projector Central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...ulator-pro.htm

However, I have no idea how low the projector needs to be from the ceiling, since I am not sure how the anamorphic lens will affect the projection onto the Carada Screen.

What I am planning to do is get the projector and the lens first, then play around with it to see how the projection looks on my wall before I get the screen. When I am satisfied, I then can move forward and order my screen.

Any thoughts? I also wanted to take the opportunity to hear from others any recommendations or things that I may have missed.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Can you move that projector back about a foot? The Panamorph UH480 (great lens BTW) wants between 14.5 and 17 feet with Correction Element A (standard correction element).

Outside of that range, and the image may not be as sharp unless your prpared to change the correction element. This lens is a hybrid prism/cylindrical, so whilst prisms don't have a focal length, the cylindrical correction element does, so you need to be aware of that before you run your cables.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That was a quick response. Does the Correction Element A come with the A480SYS package or is it a separate element that I have to purchase?

I'll definitely take that into account. Thanks CAVX!

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Unless I am missing something, A480SYS is a UH480 using the Correction Lens A. One correction element is included and that lens should be correction lens A. They have A to E now for different throws.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks CAVX. Your probably right.

I was looking at the PDFs posted on the Panamorph site:

http://www.panamorph.com/#/movable-lens-systems/

The A480SYS includes the UH480 anamorphic lens, a Panamorph ATH2 Autosled and a Panamorph mounting plate. Nothing mentioned whether any elements come with the system. I also asked Joelc (who is selling one at the moment) if he knew whether that comes as part of the package.

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
The 4000 can zoom, shift automatically to a 2.37 image but you just push the black bars off the screen. Where a lens takes the full 16/9 panel and stretches it to 2.37 so you use all pixels and light available.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 /forum/post/18142223

The 4000 can zoom, shift automatically to a 2.37 image but you just push the black bars off the screen. Where a lens takes the full 16/9 panel and stretches it to 2.37 so you use all pixels and light available.

Ah, makes much more sense now. Thanks for the info!

/threadjacking

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeik /forum/post/18136334

Thanks CAVX. Your probably right.

I was looking at the PDFs posted on the Panamorph site:

http://www.panamorph.com/#/movable-lens-systems/

The A480SYS includes the UH480 anamorphic lens, a Panamorph ATH2 Autosled and a Panamorph mounting plate. Nothing mentioned whether any elements come with the system. I also asked Joelc (who is selling one at the moment) if he knew whether that comes as part of the package.

Thanks for the heads up!

The A480SYS comes with the standard "A" corrector elements for the throw range that CAVX listed previously. If you're going to be using the lens outside of that throw range, the other corrector elements must be purchased additionally - AVS or any other Panamorph dealer should be able to give you the pricing on those.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm curious why you're leaning towards the AE4000 and an anamorphic lens. To me, the main selling point of this projector is that it enables convenient CIH without needing a lens. If you plan to use a lens, there are other projectors in the same price range that outperform the Panny in different areas, and may be a better match for a lens than the Panny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.