AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a simple in-wall rack for equipment consisting of an AVR, a TiVo set top box, and a Blu-ray player.  The theater room housing the equipment has a finished wall that has an unfinished basement on the other side.  The idea is to have the equipment in a box that is flush with the finished wall.  I would like to get some advice on my plan.

The wall is framed by 24” studs giving about 22.5” wide opening.  I would put two horizontal studs 24” apart and cut out the wall board leaving a 22.5 x 24” opening.  The lower stud would be approximately 4 feet from the floor.

I would then build a box from 3/4” MDF or plywood that would fit into the opening.  The depth of the box would be about 20”.  Two fixed shelves about 18” long (leaving 2” in the back for cables) would be added.  Approximately 11” opening on top, and two 5” openings on the bottom.  (The shelves, top, and bottom account for 3” (3/4” x 4)  The back could be thinner and should  be easily removable or hinged for access to the backs of the equipment. 

The front of the box could be screwed to the studs but the back would probably need to be supported by maybe a 2x4 brace.  The insides of the box would be painted flat black (outside is not important since it is in the unfinished space.

The front of the box in the finished room would be trimmed by molding also painted black.  The shelves will need a molding to hide the edges of the plywood or MDF.

Do you see any pitfalls or have any advice?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,400 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
How about ventilation? I am also planning for a hinged back to my DIY rack and I'm thinking of attaching a few PC fans to the back at the top/bottom to move air in and/or out. Also thinking about having them temperature controlled as well...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1521909/my-plans-for-a-simple-in-wall-equipment-cabinet#post_24466101

plan for rear access and adjustable shelves

http://www.rockler.com/jig-itreg-shelving-jig-jig-it174-shelving-jig-set-template-self-centering-bit

Think big, what gear might you want in two years, If you have the space make it taller. You can always use the extra shelves for media storage until you fill it with gear.
I thought about that but I can't think of anything I would need that could not be hidden.  Also, in general gear gets smaller, not bigger. 

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
+1 BIGger is better.

Adjustable is also key as things change

Check out the "show me your rack thread" there are some great DIY racks there

You could always use the extra space for drawers if you wanted.

Handy for remotes, media, manuals etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well, I took everyone's advice and had a rack made from 3/4" plywood and painted black.  It is four feet tall and has five shelves plus the bottom.  I had to reroute an electrical wire and added an outlet.  I have more than enough room including two shelves for disks and a shelf for remotes.  There is room for a UPS behind the disks.  Thanks again for the good advice.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardk  /t/1521909/my-plans-for-a-simple-in-wall-equipment-cabinet#post_24610135

This looks just like what I'm working towards. The only difference is I have a glass door for the front, as I'm recycling an old AV stand and it'll only be about 3' tall in the end. I've also added a layer of drywall with green glue to the outside of the stand for soundproofing. Great to see what the final product will sort of look like! Thanks for the post!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts