AVS Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Oh man don’t let this thread take away the excitement , some of us are just really
Really picky and I love to complain . I’m sure ur going to love it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries, I knew asking would get me a mixed bag. The good thing, IMO, is I narrowed it down to the main board and found a place that will attempt to fix it for $135. If they can't, they will send it back and I will investigate doing a swap. My fingers are crossed that I can get this working again long enough for technology to get better (in regards to motion that is).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Maybe still unwatchable to you but a first/second generation 2020 chinese miniLED LCD TV was reviewed by a respected reviewer who stated that on axis one could see hardly any difference between that TV and a OLED (hdtvpolska TCL X-10) .

Do we have to keep ignoring the "on axis" part?

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Do we have to keep ignoring the "on axis" part?
Lets just say a LCD being close to a OLED on axis would have a foot between the door. For those who would be ok with that prettymuch would have a OLED like LCD at the house.

In the meantime i saw the hdtv UK YouTube review which states that the X10 TV has good blacks compared to other LCDs. So maybe it looks OLED like at times, definitely not all the time. It has 700+ zones, TCL plans to increase zones year by year.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Lets just say a LCD being close to a OLED on axis would have a foot between the door. For those who would be ok with that prettymuch would have a OLED like LCD at the house.

In the meantime i saw the hdtv UK YouTube review which states that the X10 TV has good blacks compared to other LCDs. So maybe it looks OLED like at times, definitely not all the time. It has 700+ zones, TCL plans to increase zones year by year.

I just don't understand why that exception is so easily and gladly made for LCDs, let alone why anybody accepts it.

Personal preferences should come in to play when deciding what's an important factor when making a purchase, not a review.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
When you sit deadcenter all the time it does not matter much.

My point is that there's a lot of things that don't matter to different people, but those preferences shouldn't be allowed to color a review.

I don't know about you, but I often watch TV with my family. I sometimes slouch, or rest my head on a pillow.

If the TV goes from "best in class" to "worst in class" because I decide to recline ... that's not a feature, it's an unacceptable flaw.

Heck, some of the LCD manufacturers have taken a hit in some areas in order to provide a wider viewing angle, so, even they're penalized when compared to a TV that's only tested dead center.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
My point is that there's a lot of things that don't matter to different people, but those preferences shouldn't be allowed to color a review.

I don't know about you, but I often watch TV with my family. I sometimes slouch, or rest my head on a pillow.

If the TV goes from "best in class" to "worst in class" because I decide to recline ... that's not a feature, it's an unacceptable flaw.

Heck, some of the LCD manufacturers have taken a hit in some areas in order to provide a wider viewing angle, so, even they're penalized when compared to a TV that's only tested dead center.
A LCD was my main TV for years. Eventhough i sit deadcenter i myself prefer not to use a TV with off axis issues. I also own laptops with and without off axis issues. I tend to take such screen less serious..to me that is a instable screen. I guess folks who do not mind just block it out..and so do reviewers..at least partly. btw OLED also seem to have (minor) off axis issues.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mini lcd's are all hype, they dont come close to oled. And dual lcd outside of professional monitors is not going to cut it either. Right now, the closest that comes to oled in terms of black are some of the JVC 4k e shift/native 4k projectors with 160,000:1 CR. I saw a JVC at a friend's, have an oled at home, very deep blacks and the immersion factor to go with it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
A LCD was my main TV for years. Eventhough i sit deadcenter i myself prefer not to use a TV with off axis issues. I also own laptops with and without off axis issues. I tend to take such screen less serious..to me that is a instable screen. I guess folks who do not mind just block it out..and so do reviewers..at least partly. btw OLED also seem to have (minor) off axis issues.

Which is just another reason, off-axis viewing shouldn't just be dismissed by reviewers.

A TV doesn't have to be perfect for 180 degrees ... someone watching far off to a side can suffer somewhat, but I think a reasonable viewing cone can be defined and tested rather than simply testing dead on.

I use LCD's in causal locations where brightness and not having to worry about burn-in are important, but those TV's are often just on in the background and viewed at all sorts of angles. I intentionally buy IPS TVs because of that.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Mini lcd's are all hype, they dont come close to oled. And dual lcd outside of professional monitors is not going to cut it either. Right now, the closest that comes to oled in terms of black are some of the JVC 4k e shift/native 4k projectors with 160,000:1 CR. I saw a JVC at a friend's, have an oled at home, very deep blacks and the immersion factor to go with it.
miniLED LCDs comes in fases with new fases idealy come lots more zones...going from 700+ zones to thousands of zones few years from now. They would not do that if there were no PQ improvements attached to it. As i understand it if more zones brings no improvement they stop adding zones. We are at second generation miniLED LCD with currently only chinese bringing them to the market.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
8mile Is there's something that you like about Oled? I mean Oled have 8,294,40 zones and have the highest contrast of any display available. Isn't thats what you are looking on a display?

PS. OLED is as bright as previous LCD’s (before they added phosphor/QD to them) no one complained about them being too dim.

Reactions: Manoj Mohan

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
8mile Is there's something that you like about Oled? I mean Oled have 8,294,40 zones and have the highest contrast of any display available. Isn't thats what you are looking on a display?

PS. OLED is as bright as previous LCD’s (before they added phosphor/QD to them) no one complained about them being too dim.
My guess is that once i switch to OLED i will like the tech because excellent blacks makes makes imperfections less annoying.. i feel similar about the kuro right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am with the OP, I have a 9 year old Samsung Plasma Tv that I really like. It has started to develop black lines across the screen and it is just a matter of time before it becomes unwatchable, and unrepairable. I haven't found a LCD tv that I can watch due to motion blurring and I was hoping the OLED's could fill the plasma gap. I was at a BB a little over a year ago and the OLED tv's I was looking at looked real good... then I notice the motion blurring. :( I was hoping the LG C9 or CX would be able to make the grade in motion blurring but it doesn't sound like it. Our "stay at home" order has just been extended until the end of May, and then a staged reopening of our economy.... I have no idea when I am going to be able to get in a store an look at the latest offerings to judge for myself the status of motion issues. Hopefully before my present tv dies. I figure about 98% of my tv viewing is what Spectrum delivers, 1% is via my Apple TV 4K box and 1% from my DVD player. I am open to suggestions of what to replace my dying Plasma tv with.
Jim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I am with the OP, I have a 9 year old Samsung Plasma Tv that I really like. It has started to develop black lines across the screen and it is just a matter of time before it becomes unwatchable, and unrepairable. I haven't found a LCD tv that I can watch due to motion blurring and I was hoping the OLED's could fill the plasma gap. I was at a BB a little over a year ago and the OLED tv's I was looking at looked real good... then I notice the motion blurring. :( I was hoping the LG C9 or CX would be able to make the grade in motion blurring but it doesn't sound like it. Our "stay at home" order has just been extended until the end of May, and then a staged reopening of our economy.... I have no idea when I am going to be able to get in a store an look at the latest offerings to judge for myself the status of motion issues. Hopefully before my present tv dies. I figure about 98% of my tv viewing is what Spectrum delivers, 1% is via my Apple TV 4K box and 1% from my DVD player. I am open to suggestions of what to replace my dying Plasma tv with.
Jim
The good news is I was able to get mine fixed. I narrowed the issue down to the main board and found a place that repairs boards for plasma TVs.. I'm happy as a clam. I got the board back and am watching TV again! Yahoo....

If anyone needs it, here is their site. https://www.ptselectronicsinc.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ha, the timing of this thread is perfect.

I've had a 65ZT60 since 2013 and still think the image quality is amazing. Blu-ray DVDs, streamed movies and TV, sports (hockey, football, auto racing), etc. all look great.

However, I have spent a lot of time today reading up on the C9, CX and A9G. Why? The blazing furnace that we know plasmas are. While nice in the winter, once the weather starts getting warm, watching this thing can become nearly unbearable. Cranking the AC is required.

So, I figured it may be time to move the Panny to a different room and replace it with a new OLED. At least that was the thought.

Reading various sites and comments about motion just not living up to what I currently experience has made me realize that I am still a year away (maybe longer?) from replacing this thing with an OLED. I understand and believe many will get used to the different look and if this thing died, I would go with an OLED and not look back.

But to have a perfectly working 65ZT60...it just doesn't make sense to switch. I guess I'll go grab some marshmallows and make some smores instead! :)

·
Registered
7,928 Posts

I've had a 65ZT60 since 2013 and still think the image quality is amazing. Blu-ray DVDs, streamed movies and TV, sports (hockey, football, auto racing), etc. all look great.

However, I have spent a lot of time today reading up on the C9, CX and A9G. Why? The blazing furnace that we know plasmas are. While nice in the winter, once the weather starts getting warm, watching this thing can become nearly unbearable. Cranking the AC is required.

So, I figured it may be time to move the Panny to a different room and replace it with a new OLED. At least that was the thought.

Reading various sites and comments about motion just not living up to what I currently experience has made me realize that I am still a year away (maybe longer?) from replacing this thing with an OLED. I understand and believe many will get used to the different look and if this thing died, I would go with an OLED and not look back.

But to have a perfectly working 65ZT60...it just doesn't make sense to switch. I guess I'll go grab some marshmallows and make some smores instead! :)
For those who are not motion sensitive OLED motion will be good enough..even has various motion improvement options which some models do better than others. You needs to check out OLED yourself by having one in the house for a few weeks (make shure you can return it).

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those who are not motion sensitive OLED motion will be good enough..even has various motion improvement options which some models do better than others. You needs to check out OLED yourself by having one in the house for a few weeks (make shure you can return it).
I have no doubt there has been improvement in this area, especially with the 2019 models and presumably, the 2020s. I will definitely be reading the LG CX reviews as they come out while also being curious what the A9H will bring. Maybe one of these two will cause the jump to OLED. (I suppose a greatly discounted A9G might fit the bill as well.)

But to your point, the best thing anyone can do is audition one in their own home, under their regular viewing conditions and with different content. It may be a hassle at times but if you are spending your definition of a 'lot' of money, doing so will help ensure you are happy for a reasonably long time.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

I would still be happy with a plasma if my OLED died. Never fished for barrel fish offshore before.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts