AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my plasma up for a while now, but I've been improving the family room where it is. I'll post more pictures in the gallery, but I thought that I would share 3 pictures with the group. My equipment is in the cabinet behind the dark glass. It's inclosed, but I've added ventilation to the side, and even have a fan to suck out the heat if necessary. The side of the cabinet is in a bedroom closet, so the wires run inside the closet and then back through the wall to the TV. Behind the glass I've got the Sony HD200 DirecTV receiver, the JVC DVHS, a JVC SVHS, a Panasonic RP82 DVD, and a Kenwood receiver that switches componet video. Right below the glass door is more equipment that I don't use that often, such as my laserdisk player and Betamax machine. One picture shows the DVD and tape storage that pulls out(it's in the dark part of the picture) and behind the lower doors are conventional shelves. I had the cabinet made to fit where a wet bar used to be, and the top space will be used for decorations. I put Niles 8700 speakers in the wall for my mains, with a Niles HD-Center for the center channel. The left and right front are up high due to the cabinet, but I've aimed the tweeters down and with the center just above the TV the sound is actually good. I put Niles DS-6.7 round speakers in the ceiling for my rear channels. The TV is the Fujitsu 5004. I had the lights dimmed for the night time photos which were shot with available light. I'll put more clearly lit photos in the gallery.

Edited--it seems I can only attach 1 picture, so this is with the DVD storage shelf pulled out even though it's dark.

Edited again to show cabinet(dark) with Smallville.

Edited again to show brighter shot---taken with video camera.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fire407, i'm interested in seeing more pictures. When you say you've had your plasma up for a while, how long is a while? I'm putting my plasma (haven't decided which model yet) in my family room. I'm concerned about the cabinet w/ my other equipment in it due to my son & son-on-the-way getting to the cabinet. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted 2 more photos in the forum gallery, and I'll change those out when I take some better ones. I bought my plasma 2 months ago and had the mount put on the wall and hung it. Then we decided to add new carpet and paint and add inwall speakers, so I took my plasma down for a couple of weeks. I just got it back up this past week. I have the center of my plasma about 4 feet from the floor. This puts it close to eye level when I'm sitting on the couch across from it. As far as small kids go, my recommendation would be to place it higher--out of reach for their hands. The same thing with your equipment, as I know small children are fascinated with shiny buttons--just like I am. My kids are 9 and 15 now and they know how to use the equipment. BTW the walls in my room are white, but I took this photo with daylight film and with the tungsten lights dimmed. I'll use more light next time, and either filter the lens or use a color balanced flash. My kids enjoy watching Smallville with me in HDTV.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the attachment to show a brighter shot. I took it with my video camera, and I hope to get a lot better photos soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.