Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check it out here.

http://www.isitoday.com/mtx103fa.htm

With the success I had painting my last HTPC case Satin Black, it won't be too much trouble to change this to a nice professional looking black case. What I really like about this case is that the drive bays are in the middle instead of being offset to the right like most desktop cases. So once painted, it should really look like it is an HT component. Not to mention, it will make routing the ATA cables easier.

This case is made by Chieftec . Seems they make other mATX Desktop cases with middle mount drive bays. But isitoday.com seems to be their only online distributor in the US. And they only have this one model. I placed an order for this unit on Tuesday and 2 hours later got my UPS tracking number. So far so good with ISIToday.com.

Anyways, thought I might share the info as I know how us mATX motherboard owners have so few choices in terms of desktop cases. Affordable desktop cases that is.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That's one of my fave cases for my future build.

I want it small and with room for two dvd-players.

Darn shame about the indented floppy bay though.

(I intend to keep the OS and software on Secure Digital Cards and no hard drive to keep the noise levels down and simplicity up)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think you can get this at the Chenming outlet in Union City for a pretty low price too. Only works if you are in the SF Bay Area, but their prices are hard to beat, and they seem to make the cases for companies like Antec and Chieftec. They have 3 M-ATX cases like this.

Checkout the cheming web site at Chenming products web site

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arrggh. Now you tell me!!

Cool cases though, right?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
True enough. Very sturdy, though I wish they made some with ducts in them for ventilating the CPU cooler the way Dell does. That would enable them to be really quiet!

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recently bought this m-ATX case
Yeong Yang A101

Im pleased with it apart from the PSU which is far too noisy for an HTPC.

Have you found any quiet m-atx psu's or have you tried rebuilding a psu with a quieter fan?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I bought the YY from the manufacturer (all black though, with upgraded 230w PSU) and it works fine. It has the centered CD drive like the original one posted with, but with a door over it. The location of the CD drive (partially covering the CPU fan) means the sucker gets HOT!.

Ended up paying like $80 with shipping, which isn't too bad in my book and I'm known for being genetically cheap.

It isn't silent, but with a window A/C, it isn't a big deal for me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too saw the YY case when making this purchase. But a drive bay cover is more of an annoyance then they are useful IMHO. My first ever home built PC was an ATX tower with a drive bay cover. You won't believe how many times a CD tray accidentally ejected while the cover was closed.

I am going to modify my PSU when I get it. Either with a Panaflow or a Zalman fan. Haven't done enough research on the subject yet. Need to get the best bang for the buck. Quietest fan for the money. I read varying reports here on the forum on the best fan. So more research needs to be done.

I myself am not genetically cheap, but I would consider myself a very frugal shopper. Money is hard to hold onto when you live in the Silicon Valley. So with those fans, I have to get a one of those flower coolers in the same order to save money on shipping. How's that for frugal :). Namlemez already knows the lengths I have went through to get my SPDIF connector for my mATX nForce board .).

When I get this case, I think I will mod it a bit. A paint job is in the works, but I am also considering an exhaust port. In any case, I will post before and after pics.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was about to post the same thing! It looks promising, actually. You could probaby get away with just a custom colour (say, black;) if you chose the 103FR version . The floppy opening is not built into the bezel; it's just a removable blank.

I like the fact that they're in Canada...

I just emailed Power Industry , the supplier of the Chenming cases asking about availability, price of a black version, etc. Will report back on reply.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just got this from Mark @ Power Industry:
Quote:
To get a custom colour and design, you would need to purchase a minimum of 2 x 40 foot container which is equivalent to about 1000 cases.

Please let me know the quantity you need.

Please also specify if you are a reseller, distributor or end user so I can give you the appropriate pricing.
Hmmm... do I need 1000 cases? I think not. Can I get 999 others in on a power buy? I think not. Looks like I'll be buying one and painting it myself. Now If I could just squeeze a price out of him...

To be continued!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by da5id
Just got this from Mark @ Power Industry:Hmmm... do I need 1000 cases? I think not. Can I get 999 others in on a power buy? I think not. Looks like I'll be buying one and painting it myself. Now If I could just squeeze a price out of him...
Yeah, you had to know they weren't going to make it easy for us.

But if you buy the 1000, you could put one in every room...of your neighborhood!

Still, I wonder if the Antec-Retrofit guys could help with a nicer aluminum facia for this case. I too prefer the center-mount drive bays. Symmetry is cool.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Full. They have flexATX cases which specify low-profile slots; the uATX cases do not specify. B'sides, there's enough room for two 5 1/4 slots stacked and then some; that would imply (to me) there's plenty of room for standard height cards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.