168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my home theater as the wife has allowed so far:

TV: Sony 50" rear projection LCD 720p KDF E50A10

Receiver: Onkyo 6.1 TX-SR501

DVD Player: Onkyo DV-SP404 progressive scan with 720p/1080i upconvert via HDMI

HD Cable Box: Scientific Atlanta - Explorer 8300HD DVR

Front/Mains: Yamaha NS-A636

Center: Sony SS-CN115D (pos that was part of some HTIB set)

Surround: KLH Model 21B

Subwoofer: Audio Source 6.5" woofer

Wiring: Acoustic Research

future plans include upgrading receiver and speakers, and moving current receiver to bedroom to power surround in there.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Very nice.

In a room like that, open living area, it is often difficult to get good surround. I have a similar problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. yeah the rears are not in the "ideal" locations, but it's all i have to work with in this room. it does get the job done surprisingly well though. as low budget as the sound is right now, our house is still the one everyone wants to go to to watch movies and games.

i've thought for the next round of equipment, to look into dipole surround speakers. i was thinking that might help with the weird seating arrangement.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would say your front left and right speakers are more of a problem. They should be up at least 24 inches or as close to ear level as you can get them. You should put them on something and experiment. Make sure if you do my new bookshelves to get some stands. Nice room though, it has plenty of potential.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.