AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first off I just wanted to say that I won't be getting any of this until towards the end of January... that way I have a little bit more money and I can take advantage of some of the Superbowl deals. I can easily wait for some of the other speakers and just stick with a 2.1 setup if I have to, especially if the new stuff coming out of CES this year is worth the wait.

I would love to get some recommendation on what speakers I may want to switch out or what might be better, etc. I am going for a 7.1 setup that can last me quite awhile. I play a lot of video games and watch a good amount of movies so thats what the setup will mainly be used for. I'll occasionally listen to some music on it when I'm working but it's not something that it will mainly do. Thank you for any input and/or suggestions!

*Edit* Two possible systems now since I was unaware of the bi-polar surrounds & failed to mention budget of ~$3,000

System 1:

A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH

Center Speaker: Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000

FL/FR Speakers: Definitive Technology BP6B

SL/SR Speakers: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800

SBL/SBR: Speakers: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800

Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Supercube III or REL T3

System 2:

A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH

Center Speaker: Definitive Technology CLR 2002

FL/FR Speakers: Definitive Technology BP7006

SL/SR Speakers: Definitive Technology BP1.2X

SBL/SBR: Speakers: Definitive Technology BP1.2X

Subwoofer: Up for suggestions

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't understand your choices. If you're using bi-polar fronts, why not use the bi-polar surrounds as well? Also, I'd use one of the CLR center channels with that setup. The ProCenter 2000 seems too small for the system that you're putting together. Finally, I'm not sure how much benefit you'll get from using the smallest SuperCube with that setup. Don't the BP7006s already have powered subs built in? I'd probably get a different sub. I'd personally save some money and get a better sub like from HSU or SVS or something.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, thanks for the input! I was simply going to do a one stop shop at my local Magnolia so I could just pick up everything from there. I don't really know anything when it comes to the audio front, which is why I'm posting what might be my setup and hoping for some input. As for bi-polar surrounds, I wasn't even aware of them lol. I guess I should've known or looked through def tech's site but I didn't nor did I even see them when I was in my local Magnolia but I'm sure they have them. I'll probably go with the bi-polar surrounds though, now that you mentioned it.

My biggest unknowns are the sub and the center channel since they can really effect the entire system. Def tech's other subs are a little more than I would like to spend so the SuperCube III is at the peak of what I would be able to pay unless if I cut/swapped something else or was able to get the SuperCube II for the same price as the III. Also, I chose the SuperCube III (which I have yet to actually hear) because I'll be able to get it for just a little bit more than the ProSub 1000. I may go with just the BP6's instead of the BP7006 (which do have powered subs) and just get a solid subwoofer instead. Any particular model from HSU or SVS that you would recommend? What are your thoughts on the REL T3? That's the other subwoofer I was looking at.

I'm sure the ProCenter 2000 would be adequate but you may be right. Do you think the performance difference between the CLR2002 and ProCenter 2000 warrants the $180 price difference? Also, I probably should've mentioned I have a total budget of about $3,000 for the AVR, speakers and power cleaner/surge protection. I could go higher but I would rather not. Most of what I listed I'm able to get for a pretty good discount so it all fits within my budget. For now most of what I'm planning on getting will be complete overkill for the room it will be in which is only about 15 x 12. However, it will be in a much larger room, roughly 22 x 16 when I move into my new place in a couple of months.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedrum /forum/post/15511736

First off, thanks for the input! I was simply going to do a one stop shop at my local Magnolia so I could just pick up everything from there. I don't really know anything when it comes to the audio front, which is why I'm posting what might be my setup and hoping for some input. As for bi-polar surrounds, I wasn't even aware of them lol. I guess I should've known or looked through def tech's site but I didn't nor did I even see them when I was in my local Magnolia but I'm sure they have them. I'll probably go with the bi-polar surrounds though, now that you mentioned it.

Good call. You'll like the bi-polar surrounds.

Quote:

My biggest unknowns are the sub and the center channel since they can really effect the entire system. Def tech's other subs are a little more than I would like to spend so the SuperCube III is at the peak of what I would be able to pay unless if I cut/swapped something else or was able to get the SuperCube II for the same price as the III. Also, I chose the SuperCube III (which I have yet to actually hear) because I'll be able to get it for just a little bit more than the ProSub 1000. I may go with just the BP6's instead of the BP7006 (which do have powered subs) and just get a solid subwoofer instead. Any particular model from HSU or SVS that you would recommend? What are your thoughts on the REL T3? That's the other subwoofer I was looking at.

I actually own a SuperCube II that I purchased off of eBay for a LOT less than what Best Buy is asking. You could try that route. I like the REL T3 a lot, but I think it would be overpowered by the 7006s. With those fronts, I'd be looking at a T2 or T1, but those can get expensive. HSU and SVS have a number of very good subs that can be obtained for less than both the T3 and the SuperCube. I would suggest looking through the "Subwoofers" section of this forum.

Quote:

I'm sure the ProCenter 2000 would be adequate but you may be right. Do you think the performance difference between the CLR2002 and ProCenter 2000 warrants the $180 price difference? Also, I probably should've mentioned I have a total budget of about $3,000 for the AVR, speakers and power cleaner/surge protection. I could go higher but I would rather not. Most of what I listed I'm able to get for a pretty good discount so it all fits within my budget. For now most of what I'm planning on getting will be complete overkill for the room it will be in which is only about 15 x 12. However, it will be in a much larger room, roughly 22 x 16 when I move into my new place in a couple of months.

In my opinion, the difference between the CLR2002 and the ProCenter does warrant the price difference. Try them both out at your local Magnolia and see if you can hear the difference. I certainly hear a big one: the sound is much clearer, cleaner, and more full out of the CLR to my ears.

I notice that you mention the power cleaner/surge protection. Do yourself a favor and don't buy that from Best Buy. Most of their stuff (esp. the Monster stuff) is WAY overpriced. If you have an idea of what you really want, I'd suggest checking eBay for some of it. You might find a great deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know I will love having some bi-polar surrounds and surprised I wasn't even aware that they had them when I should've just known that they did since they have the bi-polar towers. My dad has some omni-directional surrounds which are absolutely awesome. Granted these will be bi-polar, it'll be close enough that I won't really be able to tell the difference.

I'll definitely look into the SuperCube II on eBay or see what my friend can hook me up with at Magnolia and I'll check out the HVU and SVS subs. I'll check out the CLR 2002 also when I get a chance. After thinking about it, I'm sure there is a significant difference between the CLR 2002 and ProCenter 2000 but I just feel doubtful that my ears will be able to tell the difference lol.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedrum /forum/post/15512782

I'll check out the CLR 2002 also when I get a chance. After thinking about it, I'm sure there is a significant difference between the CLR 2002 and ProCenter 2000 but I just feel doubtful that my ears will be able to tell the difference lol.

I just went another route after 14yrs of Definitive ownership (still using the sub) and the performance upgrade between the CLR2002 and ProCenter2000 is SUBSTANTIAL. The CLR2002 can easily be set to large in your setup if you desire.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Some great suggestions here, and the Sub question needs some attention.

Obviously the 7006s are going to give you substantial output down to 30hz and then some with room gain. Adding a sub with the same or close extension will increase output and smooth in room response....BUT.....Why not look for more extension from a sub as well? The really good stuff in movies is down low, 20Hz down to single digits and no small feat to achieve. You seem really passionate about the hobby and your investment is substantial. I'd let the 7006s do their thing for now. No need to purchase a sub UNLESS you intend to plunge the depths. That'll come at a cost so wait a while and research some candidates for the job. You can use the 7006 as midbass/subs and then cross the new sub down low, say 40hz for that scary, visceral stuff that is more of a feeling than a sound.

I strongly suggest the CLR center (the most you can afford) and skip adding a sub at this time. You may be able to afford the 2X surrounds if you forgoe the sub.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I guess I'm pretty much sold on (at least) the CLR 2002. I still have yet to listen to it myself in person, but I value everyone's opinion on this forum so it definitely helps put me in the right direction. As far as subs, I'm sure the 7006's would cut it for awhile but I would feel really weird not having a dedicated sub. I know I don't necessarily need one for quite some time; especially given the size of the room that the system will be in. However, with The5thAce recommending HSU, and reading reviews about the company and their subwoofers, I think I may go with the VTF-2 MK 3 Subwoofer or possibly the VTF-3 MK 3 on the high side or the STF-2 on the low side. I would really like the safety net of the VTF-3 MK 3's power but I think it might be overkill and that the VTF-2 MK 3 would suit me the best but I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time lol. I'm certainly amazed at the apparent performance from these subwoofers and their price in comparison to other companies that focus mainly on speakers (i.e. definitive, klipsch, etc.). Anyways, anyone's thoughts on those three subwoofers?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The DefTechs have just as much extension and output capabilities as the STF-2 and VTF-2 so no need for those. The VTf-3 will have substantial output but won't really have any lower freq extension and that's really what you need to compliment the 7006s which will play just as low as the VTF-3 and with two of them louder and cleaner.See the link for distortion at high output levels. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...bocharger.html So don't 'feel wierd' and spend unneccessarily. Wait til you get them home and set them up and you'll know what i mean. You won't want it any louder, just deeper. At some point you'll have upgraditis and a Trinity is just the thing to scare the pants off you and your friends.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15521491

The DefTechs have just as much extension and output capabilities as the STF-2 and VTF-2 so no need for those. The VTf-3 will have substantial output but won't really have any lower freq extension and that's really what you need to compliment the 7006s which will play just as low as the VTF-3 and with two of them louder and cleaner.See the link for distortion at high output levels. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...bocharger.html So don't 'feel wierd' and spend unneccessarily. Wait til you get them home and set them up and you'll know what i mean. You won't want it any louder, just deeper. At some point you'll have upgraditis and a Trinity is just the thing to scare the pants off you and your friends.

hmm... I may just hold off on purchasing a sub after thinking about it. If I hold off on a sub then I'll probably do as you suggested and put that money towards the 2X's or a CLR 2300/2500 or maybe both! I guess I just have to realize that I already will have two subs and another one won't have much use unless if it will crack the foundation
. I was curious, what do you think of the SVS PC12-NSD? And do you think there would be much of a point to have two of them? I've never heard a cylinder sub so any input on that would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
That's a great sub...for a system needing one. Again the extension of these is limited by driver size and the ported alignment. You can see at the bottom of the link the graph shows output begins to roll off pretty steep at 20hz so anything below that is pretty much useless and the Def Techs have down to 20Hz covered. Adding a single sub with playback from 10Hz to 40Hz would be ideal. The Trinity does this, but at a price. In the DIY section, you'll find us building things like furniture such as end tables and the likes containing 18" subs capable of plunging the Depths.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15529414

That's a great sub...for a system needing one. Again the extension of these is limited by driver size and the ported alignment. You can see at the bottom of the link the graph shows output begins to roll off pretty steep at 20hz so anything below that is pretty much useless and the Def Techs have down to 20Hz covered. Adding a single sub with playback from 10Hz to 40Hz would be ideal. The Trinity does this, but at a price. In the DIY section, you'll find us building things like furniture such as end tables and the likes containing 18" subs capable of plunging the Depths.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm

What's funny is that I think I'm going to be either doing one of two things now. I'll be either A.) getting a pair of BP10B's or BP8B's instead of the BP7006 and pick up a SVS PC12-NSD or HSU VTF-3 MK3 or B.) get the BP7006's and hold off on a sub and possibly attempt to build my own later on so I can get that 10Hz to 40Hz playback. At some point I'll want that range and the sooner the better, so I guess I have some things that I need to figure out. Thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts