AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Boxlight 38t (Sanyo XP-21N clone) in July. It has worked well for two months. Suddenly, two days ago I started to notice that the display was gradually becoming less bright. At first I questioned whether I was imagining the problem, but it has become progressively worse for two days and now there is no doubt. It is now so dim that it is unusable.

I estimate the bulb has about 100 hours on it. This projector only has an idiot light, there is no way to view the cumulative hours on the bulb. I suppose it is possible the bulb had hours on it when I received the projector. The idiot light is not on.

The brightness problem exists with all sources (computer and video). If I look closely at a white screen on the computer mode, I can see the brightness pulsating slightly every few seconds.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I would rather avoid sending the unit back to Boxlight, but I may be out of luck.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Take care of it ASAP, manufacturers don't always warrant the bulb for very long if at all.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any explanation other than a bad bulb? Would a bulb fade from full power to (approximately) 25% in just a couple hours of use?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If so, it would have to be a defective bulb. A projector manufacturer would never be able to stay in business if the lamp faded before your eyes. I would say it is just as likely a bad power supply. Either way, take advantage of the warranty immediately. The fewer hours of use, the more liable they will feel, and the less likely they will dismiss it as normal lamp fall-off.

My concern would be that it really is the power supply but a new lamp looks enough better that you go through a whole cycle of another two months before they are willing to look deeper.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.