1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I've got:

Quad Core intel

MSI ATI 5750 graphics card with 1gb onboard memory

Raptor main drive. Several storage drives.

EVGA MOBO

Its hooked up to my Integra receiver and then to my Pana PTAE4000u

Default settings on ATI card and pass through on Integra. ATI is outputting 1920 by 1080p at 60hz.

When I play a ripped dvd via powerdvd 10 it doesn't look as good as playing the original on the ps3 (no compression was done on the rip). I've tried some settings but can't get it near the ps3. It looks blocking?

Where should I start. Is it a hardware issue?

I've tried other players and they all look similar and not as good as the ps3

Please help

thanks

R.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
DVD right? Have you tried outputting at native resolution / frame rate and letting the projector do the upscaling?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The PS3 does some pretty significant post processing for DVDs. You shouldn't just expect the PC to do better just because it is a PC.

Your best bet is to start looking at the long and glorious threads talking about all the fun of tweaking ffDshow (and if you're really looking for fun look at integrating AViSynth filters as well) if you want to get better DVD playback capability.

Or you could just keep using your PS3.

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
IMO my PS3 looks better on BDs than my PC too. And it looks better on Netflix for sure. I'd say this is normal. But, Suntan is right, the PS3 is an excellent upscaler for DVDs, and that's probably what you are noticing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same issue here, HD rips look fine but the lower resolution dvd rips look horrible coming from my HTPC but the same files streamed to my PS3 look pretty good. What gives?

ATI 5450 and MPC-HC

De-Noise is OFF

Overscan is at 0

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I looked on my PS3 last night and it appears it can do a lot of processing on the streams too. My HTPC (also 5450) plays them fine, but the blacks are more gray than black on the HTPC. The PS3 is perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts