AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the show today and played a full game with no issue. I then go into HR derby and I notice it seems various parts of the audio is skipping but it didn't seem that obvious at the time. When the derby ended and I try to go back to the game's main menu, all I get is a black screen and it didn't seem like I could back out so I flip the power switch in the rear. Now I can't get the ps3 to recognize ps3 games, DVD's or BR's. The activity icon seems to be trying but it won't recognize any disc.

One thing of note, after inserting the show for the first time, I dusted off my ps3...any chance that could have affected things. My unit gets plenty of ventilation. Anyways, I'm really looking for any suggestions as I don't have the funds to buy a new ps3 and my unit is 2 years old and out of warranty. This really blows as The Show is the one title I really look forward to each year.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sony will repair it for $150. I had to get mine repaired last year for the same problem.

Alternatively, you could buy a BD drive from eBay for much less money and replace it yourself.

They sent mine back once with a still broken BD drive. The second time (which was no charge) they sent it back fixed. They didn't send me someone else's refurb. Both times they shipped it out the day after they received it. I wouldn't have been without all that long if they'd gotten it right the first time.

Edited to add: It's been almost exactly a year now, and it's working fine so far...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've brought a few back to life by cleaning the BR eye (lens) with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, followed by some compressed air. Take the top of the PS3 off, super easy. Unhook the BR drive, also super easy. Take the cover off the BR drive, a few screws, and boom..you're in. Wet your q-tip, rub the eye gently, use the other side of the q-tip to dry it off. Then a few blasts of compressed air. Worth a shot and only takes a few minutes!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethervue /forum/post/18241325

I've brought a few back to life by cleaning the BR eye (lens) with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, followed by some compressed air. Take the top of the PS3 off, super easy. Unhook the BR drive, also super easy. Take the cover off the BR drive, a few screws, and boom..you're in. Wet your q-tip, rub the eye gently, use the other side of the q-tip to dry it off. Then a few blasts of compressed air. Worth a shot and only takes a few minutes!

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling there's more to my problem, when I eject a disc it seems to be in the same position as when I inserted it, which leads me to think it's more than a cleaning issue. I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
if its in the same position then most likely the deck motor is dead. You can buy decks online for under $50 easily. Though you do run the risk of getting another deck that is broken. These decks and br lens systems are not made any longer to my knowledge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts